critique spell - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

World of Farland

A world conquered by evil and ruled by the Lords of Sin; A unique campaign setting designed to be used with all editions of D&D.

critique spell

Spelling: some comments on your spells.

Ultima: It seems abit powerful for a fifth level spell. Plus, you offer no damage cap. The three round casting time does weaken it alot.

Sonic Blast: This is a second level spell!!?? It is more powerful than fireball in many ways.

Hehehe... :biggrin: I like BIG weapons, spells and races. But, if you want, just make the damage from the ultima (which I meant not to have a damage cap) d10 instead of d12. And, just increase the spells levels by one or two.

Hehehe... :biggrin: I like BIG weapons, spells and races. But, if you want, just make the damage from the ultima (which I meant not to have a damage cap) d10 instead of d12. And, just increase the spells levels by one or two.

Carpet of Flame

Conjuration (Fire)
Level: wiz/sorc 4
Components: V,S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. per 2/levels)
Area: 5' per 2/levels (see text)
Duration:1 round per level
Saving throw: Ref partial (see text)
Spell resistance: yes

This spell calls into being a carpet of fire that covers an area of the ground and burns to a height of 8 inches. Anyone standing or moving through the the area is allowed a reflex save for half damage per round. The spell does 1d4 points fire damage per level of the caster. The caster can choose which areas of the ground to cover, in any pattern, as long as all 5' squares chosen are adjacent to another square which is on fire because of this spell. The material compenent of this spell is a pinch of tar and sulphur.

After examining a spell with a similar effect (Spike Stones), I came to the conclusion that this would probably make a good third level spell.

Spike Stones has a longer range, a much larger area, a much longer duration, the potential to deal more damage, the bonus of acting like a trap (hard to find), the potential to lower movement rate, and is fourth level.
Heck, for comparison here is Spike Stones:
Spike Stones
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Drd 4, Earth 4 Components: V, S, DF Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level) Area: One 20-ft. square/level Duration: 1 hour/level (D) Saving Throw: Reflex partial Spell Resistance: Yes
Rocky ground, stone floors, and similar surfaces shape themselves into long, sharp points that blend into the background.
Spike stones impede progress through an area and deal damage. Any creature moving on foot into or through the spell’s area moves at half speed.
In addition, each creature moving through the area takes 1d8 points of piercing damage for each 5 feet of movement through the spiked area.
Any creature that takes damage from this spell must also succeed on a Reflex save to avoid injuries to its feet and legs. A failed save causes the creature’s speed to be reduced to half normal for 24 hours or until the injured creature receives a cure spell (which also restores lost hit points). Another character can remove the penalty by taking 10 minutes to dress the injuries and succeeding on a Heal check against the spell’s save DC.
Spike stones is a magic trap that can’t be disabled with the Disable Device skill.
Note: Magic traps such as spike stones are hard to detect. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find spike stones. The DC is 25 + spell level, or DC 29 for spike stones.

I think that makes a pretty good case for reducing Carpet of Flame to 3rd level.

EDIT
I really should look at the date before I open my big mouth. Giving a critique more than a year after something has been submitted seems obtuse in retrospect...

Carpet of Flame

Conjuration (Fire)
Level: wiz/sorc 4
Components: V,S, M
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft. per 2/levels)
Area: 5' per 2/levels (see text)
Duration:1 round per level
Saving throw: Ref partial (see text)
Spell resistance: yes

This spell calls into being a carpet of fire that covers an area of the ground and burns to a height of 8 inches. Anyone standing or moving through the the area is allowed a reflex save for half damage per round. The spell does 1d4 points fire damage per level of the caster. The caster can choose which areas of the ground to cover, in any pattern, as long as all 5' squares chosen are adjacent to another square which is on fire because of this spell. The material compenent of this spell is a pinch of tar and sulphur.

After examining a spell with a similar effect (Spike Stones), I came to the conclusion that this would probably make a good third level spell.

Spike Stones has a longer range, a much larger area, a much longer duration, the potential to deal more damage, the bonus of acting like a trap (hard to find), the potential to lower movement rate, and is fourth level.
Heck, for comparison here is Spike Stones:
Spike Stones
Transmutation [Earth]
Level: Drd 4, Earth 4 Components: V, S, DF Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level) Area: One 20-ft. square/level Duration: 1 hour/level (D) Saving Throw: Reflex partial Spell Resistance: Yes
Rocky ground, stone floors, and similar surfaces shape themselves into long, sharp points that blend into the background.
Spike stones impede progress through an area and deal damage. Any creature moving on foot into or through the spell’s area moves at half speed.
In addition, each creature moving through the area takes 1d8 points of piercing damage for each 5 feet of movement through the spiked area.
Any creature that takes damage from this spell must also succeed on a Reflex save to avoid injuries to its feet and legs. A failed save causes the creature’s speed to be reduced to half normal for 24 hours or until the injured creature receives a cure spell (which also restores lost hit points). Another character can remove the penalty by taking 10 minutes to dress the injuries and succeeding on a Heal check against the spell’s save DC.
Spike stones is a magic trap that can’t be disabled with the Disable Device skill.
Note: Magic traps such as spike stones are hard to detect. A rogue (only) can use the Search skill to find spike stones. The DC is 25 + spell level, or DC 29 for spike stones.

I think that makes a pretty good case for reducing Carpet of Flame to 3rd level.

EDIT
I really should look at the date before I open my big mouth. Giving a critique more than a year after something has been submitted seems obtuse in retrospect...

I personally would say that you should stick to Level 4 and change it to Spell Resistance :None.

Make it such that the fire generated is real fire, not magical fire. You magically conjure up flammable material on the floor and let it spontaneously ignite, producing real flame.

Since you don't need control over it (Not dismissable or movable), it doesn't need to be magical flame.

Oh, and perfect combo with any holding spell..... (Haha... now that you are caught in my Black Tentacles, eat flame!!!! Pin them to the floor, my tentacles!! Muhuhahahahah!!!)

I personally would say that you should stick to Level 4 and change it to Spell Resistance :None.

Make it such that the fire generated is real fire, not magical fire. You magically conjure up flammable material on the floor and let it spontaneously ignite, producing real flame.

Since you don't need control over it (Not dismissable or movable), it doesn't need to be magical flame.

Oh, and perfect combo with any holding spell..... (Haha... now that you are caught in my Black Tentacles, eat flame!!!! Pin them to the floor, my tentacles!! Muhuhahahahah!!!)

dam thats over kill. lol. How about reverse gravity and spike stones on the ceiling, with a wall of iron falling on the now much more holy enemy? lol. Thats my favorite combo.