The age old question. Flavor vs Crunch - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

The age old question. Flavor vs Crunch

That's pretty cool. I love figuring out how to turn a character concept into something that works mechanically. Like turning a princess that sneaks out to take sword and magic lessons and go adventuring into a Swashbuckler/Bard/Vigilante.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
But isn't the Brony just the Herald of Princess Sparklecakes?
Spoken like a true Cleric!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shozurei View Post
That's pretty cool. I love figuring out how to turn a character concept into something that works mechanically. Like turning a princess that sneaks out to take sword and magic lessons and go adventuring into a Swashbuckler/Bard/Vigilante.
Frankly, straight Bard would work pretty well, and be less complicated to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Frankly, straight Bard would work pretty well, and be less complicated to boot.
Yeah, but Vigilante fits the theme better than Bard, since she wants to hide her identity and the class has a feature just for that. And without the level of Swashbuckler to give Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, I'd have to wait longer to get dex to damage. I do need to redo her feats, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shozurei View Post
Yeah, but Vigilante fits the theme better than Bard, since she wants to hide her identity and the class has a feature just for that.
Bards get Disguise Self, Alter Self, the Disguise skill, and Bluff, which are, as far as I know, the same things the Vigilante would use to disgusie themselves, assuming you are referring to the class from the Complete Adventurer.

Quote:
And without the level of Swashbuckler to give Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat, I'd have to wait longer to get dex to damage. I do need to redo her feats, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the classes.
Swashbuckler gives Weapon Finesse, but Weapon Finesse doesn't grant Dex to damage. (Nor does Swashbuckler for that matter.)

Weapon Finesse allows you to use your Dexterity modifier as a bonus on attack rolls instead of your Strength modifier.

This is useful, but it's not a big deal picking it up a little later on for a Bard, since Bards get a lot of buffing options.

I know what the feat does. I meant that by getting it as a bonus feat at level one, I could use my regular feat for Weapon Focus and the bonus feat from being human for Slashing Grace. Otherwise I would have to wait until level 3 for Slashing Grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Bards get Disguise Self, Alter Self, the Disguise skill, and Bluff, which are, as far as I know, the same things the Vigilante would use to disgusie themselves, assuming you are referring to the class from the Complete Adventurer.

The vigilante ability actually functions as a separate persona. Like they cant scry one persona by using the other, alignments are different, and a couple more things iirc.

Even then, I'd probably prefer straight Vigilante with maybe a single-level Swash dip (Inspired Blade is good and gets you into Fencing Grace right away); if you really want magic, one of the Vigilante archetypes (maybe Magical Girl?) is probably the more straightforward option as I'm not sure what Bard really adds once you've multiclassed so much, even if you're doing it for theme alone - indeed, thematically and (mostly) mechanically straight Vigilante is pretty well-suited... though I never pass up an opportunity to multiclass if I can get away with it.