lm looking for a D&D for kids - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

lm looking for a D&D for kids

I have a game going with my 8 year old brother and 7 year old cousin, my uncle is DMing it. theres a story, but we mostly just let them do what they want

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami Meran View Post
my neices are tomboys and in to horror things. i'll see.
. . . I'd second most of the suggestions given - the starter boxes for pathfinder and 5e are quite good - but the above gave me some pause. It's a bit pricey and is sorta D&D agnostic requiring you to pick your own preferred
It meshes most easily with Lamentations fo the Flame Princess, a B/X clone with the corebook available for free download from RPGNow but it works with any flavor of D&D except maybe 4th?
flavor of the ruleset and run with it, but tomboy horror and childlike whimsy is pretty much the venn diagram for A Red and Pleasant Land. To bullet point it, vampires in D&D wonderland. If that sounds at all like it might be potentially interesting, it's worth looking at.

On a more general note - pre-gens are your friend for this project, whatever game you end up running. Done right all the math the kids need will be on their character sheets in the simplest way possible ahead of time so they can focus just on playing with you nudging them to roll the right die and adding the modifiers for them if they need the assistance.

I don't think the system is truly relevant to the question. The best answer from what I have seen is just make it up. You know your nieces. Customize the story to them. Premake characters to start and custom tailor a story. The rest can come later.

I'll second the idea that the system doesn't matter. Just give them whatever level of help they need and then play to their strengths and interests. Regular short play sessions go much better than one long one in my experience.

I'm raising my two sisters (12 and 14), and though we haven't been gaming long, and they weren't as young as your nieces when we started, they took to it really quickly. With D&D5e, we all had to put our heads together to make characters. With World of Darkness (for some reason we are obsessed with ghosts in my house), they mastered it in no time on their own and then taught me.

Good luck!

I've been playing a slightly modified 4E game with my now-nine-year-old daughter since she was four.

The modifications are as follows:

-Experience awards and level requirements are divided by 50.
-Hit Points, damage, healing, THP and so on are all divided by 5. Variable effects such as damage use the average result, rather than rolling. Criticals do (max damage + average enhancement dice) / 5.

This keeps the math much simpler for the players -- they just need to add or subtract mostly single digit numbers.

I recommend 4E due to the great support of props (figures, tiles, and so on). We'll usually go to local gaming stores, which have their own landscape sets and gaming tables.

Some tips for running a game with younger players:
1) Use props (as mentioned). Making the game visual will make it far more immersive.
2) Work out in advance how you want pets and mounts to work in the game. The players will almost certainly want these.
3) Make sure you know the level of violence the players and their parents are comfortable with. When I started running my own game, for example, the enemies were all elementals, constructs, mindless undead, or beasts. Humanoids were strictly for talking to.
4) Consider creating a setting the players are familiar with. My own game has a "Hero School" where young adventurers go to learn their trade. Adventures are assignments (sometimes with "extra credit" side missions).