I miss the old conservatives - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

I miss the old conservatives

I miss the old conservatives

I was watching The Daily Show, and their coverage of Fox News covering the McDonalds strike, and the calls to increase the minimum wage, and it occurred to me just how much conservatism has changed, and not for teh better, in the last 30 years.
30 years ago conservative commentators would have pointed out that raising the minimum wage would also increase the cost of production, and there would be no real net benefit. They would have pointed out that while McDonalds may have made $5 billion in profits, individual stores are owned by franchisees, and they cannot necessarilly affoard the hgher wages. They would have pointed out that anyone for whom minimum wage is insufficient is free to look for work elsewhere, and that the problem is the economy instead of the minimum wage, that those jobs are not more available.
Instead Fox News insulted the McDonald's workers, said that low wages are supposed to be bad as an incentive to move up, and criticized McDonald's workers who were protesting and in tehir late 20's for the fact they had famillies to feed. They have gone from a party of intelligence and principle to being the mean popular kids at highschool. How can we get the old Republican party back?

I get the idea that it will return (more or less), but under a different name. The exact ideology likely won't rise again any time soon, but something more like it than the current Republican party.

It's disappointing to me, really. As a child, my parents were strongly republican/conservative, and I grew up hearing these fox-news-like arguments. They made sense to me as a child, but as soon as I was out of the house and my reading wasn't restricted I realized that they were pretty faulty. Now I hear about the "Old Republicans" and in general they seem much better-reasoned. But I'm disappointed that I was never really exposed to it.

You really cant judge a whole group of people based on the actions of a handful of people, that's like saying that all Republicans are educationless idiots because of Bush Jr or Sarah Palin. While I agree that they went about the whole thing wrong, it doesn't stop them from being right it just means they were assholes about it. As for getting back too the 'good ol' days of Republicanism' back? I think they are still there, but they're stuck behind the vocal minority and are actually trying too get things done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvo View Post
You really cant judge a whole group of people based on the actions of a handful of people, that's like saying that all Republicans are educationless idiots because of Bush Jr or Sarah Palin. While I agree that they went about the whole thing wrong, it doesn't stop them from being right it just means they were assholes about it. As for getting back too the 'good ol' days of Republicanism' back? I think they are still there, but they're stuck behind the vocal minority and are actually trying too get things done.
It's clearly not 'all republicans', but it is very much the dominant voices of the party, both membership and leadership.

If I lodge a complaint against say Koch Industries, you might consider that a reflection on the koch brothers, but nobody would assume you mean to include everyone who works at Koch, never mind all Koch customers.
Same applies here- the Republican party and their undeclared assets are setting a tone of discourse which is frankly all about social bullying rather than rational discourse. I want the party of rational discourse back.
As for teh "not me" Republicans this is not typical of, if you claim to be represented by the party then I would suggest you work on either reforming it or leaving it, because you can't claim they represent you then complain when people assume they are represenative of you.

I am a single issue voter, and while I am strongly disappointed by many of the Republican party planks, I default to voting for them due to the old 'lesser evil' argument. Leaving the party of the lesser evil just makes the greater evil feel that they have a license from the voting public to do whatever they want. Leaving the party because there are aspects that one disagrees with does not help one's cause in the short term or probably the middle term either, and there is no real reason to believe that it will help in the long term, since culture might be pushed away from your mores by the party in power while the party that you abandoned tries to recover. Really, spreading your message is the way to show your support of your ideals in the two-party system, and that can take a great deal of resources and energy which most people prefer to spend on other aspects of their lives.

In short, advice to leave the party that best suits you is bad advice.

I dunno, I never really got behind voting for open racists and misogynists.

Don't look to me. I'm a registered independent who tends to lean Libertarian and thinks the entire party system needs to be retired and that you should be picked for running for office the same way you'd be drafted into the army in wartime or picked to serve jury duty, and only given one or maybe if your absolutely amazing at what you do two terms. And then not be eligible to run for anything again for at least two terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117 View Post
Don't look to me. I'm a registered independent who tends to lean Libertarian and thinks the entire party system needs to be retired and that you should be picked for running for office the same way you'd be drafted into the army in wartime or picked to serve jury duty, and only given one or maybe if your absolutely amazing at what you do two terms. And then not be eligible to run for anything again for at least two terms.
So unelected officials end up with the power and experience ruling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by canjowolf View Post
So unelected officials end up with the power and experience ruling?
Almost everyone agrees the two party system isn't working anymore and that politicians who spend there whole careers doing terms in office are a significant problem. The aforementioned is a solution two those two problems. If there's another problem it didn't fix, ok, so it's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction at least, agreed?