General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Stranger Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
I'm a little confused on the premise. Is it in the Horror Genre or more like Twilight Zone or Outer Limits? I've heard it could be a good thing to watch if you are a Cthulhu fan.
I made the initial mistake of thinking it more strange and adventure than scary so invited my kids to watch it with me. Fifteen minutes into the pilot and I realized my error. I had one kid crying and hiding behind a blanket. Awesome parenting move there. It definitely has more of a horror/thriller element than not. But, because it's a mini series and not a full length movie, the horror/tension is spread out a bit more than you'd expect out of a true horror.

I really enjoyed it. I mean... a lot. That being said, I believe there's something tucked in there that would make it not very likable if you go into it with too much hype. It's a niche show and follows just enough of the classic tropes to keep it comfortable, but it's not a groundbreaking, thought-provoking, piece of media. It's not The Wire (which I've still not seen), True Detective (Season 1), or [fill in the blank].

It's good. It's fun. It has some pretty good child actors and a handful of good adult actors (no, I'm not counting Winona). Sheriff Hopper was cast incredibly well, he's been 'that guy' and 'bad guy #1' in so many things that its a wonderful choice. The children were cast really well. I'd go as far as to say that the teenagers weren't poorly cast either.

Is there some slow points? Certainly. But I look at it the same way I did Mr. Robot's first season. They had no idea what channel was going to buy the rights and so they had no idea how many episodes or how much editing would need to be done. There's going to be some unclean editing along the way. It's worse when it's a show that knows what network has picked them up and they still can't figure out pacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil_Bottletop View Post
...It's good. It's fun. It has some pretty good child actors and a handful of good adult actors (no, I'm not counting Winona)...
Really? Because I thought she was one of the best parts of the show. I absolutely loved her character; she owned it from beginning to end.

I think part of it is some inherent dislike of her in general and not necessarily the role she played. To her credit, that character could have been 100 times more annoying with the 'wrong' person playing her... like Juliette Lewis (to name another 80s queen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil_Bottletop View Post
It's not The Wire (which I've still not seen), True Detective (Season 1), or [fill in the blank].
It's not True Detective (Season 2) either though, so it has that going in its favor.

About the only thing that really bothered me was a minor bit at most, when Mike said the campaign (which he planned for how long?) only took 10 hours to play through? That more than anything broke suspension for me. Lol.

Well, he is a kid. Maybe what he calls a "campaign" most of us would term an "adventure." Heck, coulda been their first effort.

Good points. But stop making them and go watch The Wire