General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that donít clearly belong in any of the other categories.

ST: Discovery

I won't even pay for Game of Thrones. And yes, HBO has always been an extra, as has Netflicks, though Netflicks is becoming more a replacement and far as I'm concerned that's a good thing and it can't obliterate all traces of legacy Media soon enough.

Oh, so, there cutting people who aren't state side a break, but telling people state side "Hey, we hate all of you so were going to have a petty little temper tantrum and make you get behind a pay wall to watch a show we think you'll want to watch."

That, frankly, feels comparable to Michal Bay's infamous "It doesn't matter if the movie is Garbage, your still going to pay for the ticket to go see it!".

Yeah, color me unamused. If they keep it behind there paywall I just won't watch it, or anything else on CBS, and call it a day. If they do, I will be looking at it even less favorably then I would have before this little revelation.

So, here's where I got my perspective on the pilot.
And Here's their video prior to the pilot on the behind-the-scenes/development problems & rumors. Also explains how Discovery can't be TOS OT.

I'm very much enjoying it. I consider myself a big fan of TNG, but the other series never really resonated with me (there are individual episodes I love, especially from TOS and DS9).

Of the movies, only truly enjoyed TNG First Contact, First Abrams, and TOS2/3/4/6.

Since you mentioned "The Orville", I tried... I found it unwatchable. I'm a fan of Seth, but it just really didn't click for me. Felt more like a tongue in cheek fanfic than a fully realised show, though I've heard it hits its stride come episode 4. I may revisit it. Not saying it's 'bad', just not my cup of tea.

Also, full disclosure: my partner and one of our best friends both work on Discovery in the wardrobe department. Amongst other stuff, much of Captain Georgiou's wardrobe is my partner's work, and they both worked on T'Kuvma. They're not designers, mind you, just putting the stuff together. Anyway, that means maybe my positive opinion is coloured by a desire for its success (I don't think it is, but whatevs). It also means if anyone has any questions regarding wardrobe, I *might* be able to provide some unique insight. Or I might not. I dunno. I'm just a guy, and she signed an NDA so there's only so much one can talk about.

I think the reason that CBS chose to put this on their All Access service is it is probably not financially viable on network television (spaceship shows don't light up the ratings, TOS didn't)... and they need a 'killer app' to bring in revenue for All Access. If this does well enough, we might see other shows on All Access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Hunter UK View Post
I think the reason that CBS chose to put this on their All Access service is it is probably not financially viable on network television (spaceship shows don't light up the ratings, TOS didn't)... and they need a 'killer app' to bring in revenue for All Access. If this does well enough, we might see other shows on All Access.
I think that's probably correct, if I'm being honest. Doesn't mean I like it, though.

Frankly, I'm just not gonna support it. I'm just gonna watch Dark Matter on repeat on Netflixs and hope someone get's the idea to bring that one back from cancelation instead.

I'll just watch the Orville. Comes with my Hulu, seems to be doing a good job of being a ST show.

Well, just realized that I've missed like the last two Discovery eps without a second thought. Have, however, watched every ep of The Orville so far, and really enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate71 View Post
Well, just realized that I've missed like the last two Discovery eps without a second thought. Have, however, watched every ep of The Orville so far, and really enjoyed it.
You should definitely watch them -- Eps 1&2 are really "Episode One: The Prologue", while Episode 3&4 are when we first get introduced to Discovery herself. I'm not 100% sold on how dark the show is -- "cynical" is a word I see bandied about a lot, and I'm not sure I could refute that -- but it's definitely good tv.

From what I understand, the season 1 arc is intended to grow towards the optimism of Star Trek rather than start there. Which makes sense, actually.