Notices

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

Greetings all!

Greetings all!

First of all, I should introduce myself. You all can see my username, but my real name is Mark.

A person suggested this website to me on a videogame imageboard after I expressed my interest in D&D and similar pen and paper rpg's. I am not new to roleplay in general, I have played numerous oldschool crpgs such as Baldur's Gate and Fallout, but when it comes to pen and paper rpg's like Dungeons and Dragons, I'm a noob. (hopefully that changes soon though!)

I can't wait to get the basic jist of things so I can see where it all started. I hope to meet lots of cool new people and make amazing stories with them!

Hi Mark,

So, table top RPGs and CRPGs are pretty different, and PBP RPGs run differently as well. That said, the first thing you are going to need to do is pick your game system. There are more than 5 editions of D&D and clones (including original D&D, Pathfinder, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, Swords & Wizardry). 3.5E, 5E and Pathfinder are the most popular here.

BUT, before you pick one of those, take a step back and ask yourself what you really want to play? What genre? Fantasy? SciFi? Cyberpunk? Urban Fantasy? Science Fantasy? Steampunk? Dieselpunk? Pick a genre and you will find at least one game system that you can choose.

Do you like lots of rules or do you prefer a rules-light, story driven game? We've got both, and every shade in between.

The people here are really great. There is a ton of variety. I'd suggest looking around and seeing what is going on here. There is a lot. Feel free to ask questions. If you have never heard of a game system, like Fate or Cypher or PbtA, ask and you'll get the people who know the most about it chiming in. If you want to know the differences between the D&D Editions, you may start another edition war, but that's OK

Most of all, have fun!

Greetings, Mark / hailmor!