Notre Dame is Burning - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Notre Dame is Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Clamantis View Post
@Sephirothsword117, City of Heroes, an early 00s MMORPG. It was revealed yesterday that when the game was shut down six years ago, one of the developers leaked the full source code and account database to one of the players. There has been a secret, exclusive private server with full functionality running for around six years. During that time the operator and various others have engaged in a campaign of misdirection and suppression on reddit and elsewhere to keep the private server secret. Any discussions of private servers were automatically deleted from the CoH reddit, and the moderators of various forums were managing discussions to keep the facts obscured.

I didn't mean to hijack the discussion about Notre Dame, but my previous comment required explanation.
I'll take this to PM's so as not to hijack the thread any further.

I think I read that the preliminary findings suggests it was an electrical malfunction? I could be misremembering things though, but I know they don't suspect foul play at least.

It's a disturbingly common problem with renovating old wooden structures, all those power tools, blowtorches, etc. A few sparks in the wrong place and it smolders for a bit and then the dry wood catches and the fire is off to the races. That's most likely what happened with Notre Dame

I confirm what leons1701 just said, for the most part — I heard they didn't use blowtorches, due to the risks it would've represented in that particular environnment, but they may be other explanations: indeed renovating things is putting them at risk.

I've also read there were two distinct alarms. The first time the drill rang (during the mass), people climbed up there but they didn't see any fire or smoke, and they eventually ignored it, thinking it was a malfunction. People who left the cathedral came back into it. It rang again half an hour later and (if I understood correctly) this time it was too late to do anything, the whole frame was on fire. The firemen recognized the "Forest" was already a lost cause when they arrived, so instead of losing time even trying to save it, they divided themselves in two groups, one tasked with evacuating the artworks and the other tasked to containing the fire to that part and to deploy the needed equipments. It was a bold and, I guess, a difficult choice, but eventually it's probably what allowed to save the building and nine-tenths of the art pieces and relics.

A heads-up concerning the destructions and preservations, compared to what I wrote in my previous post (it's mostly good news):

- The "Mays" were actually removed during the operation. Apparently they partially suffered from soot but they have been taken to be restored by the teams of the Louvre Museum, this is the kind of things they know how to treat.

- The great organ received dust and soot too inside its pipes and machinery, so it would be unusable right now, but it was preserved both from the fire and from the water. It'll require a throrough and careful cleaning but there's no damage. The other, less large, organ that was on the ground wasn't so lucky.

- The rooster-shaped brass reliquary that was on the spire has been recovered. It's damaged, but not utterly destroyed, although there's no assurance yet of the state of the three relics (including a thorn from the crown of thorns) it was supposed to shelter.

- In the choir, the 18th century carved-wood stalls, the 18th group of statues, and the 19th century high altar, were apparently preserved (or mostly preserved with only minor damage).

- The Prime Minister launched an international contest yesterday, inviting architects to submit designs for replacing Viollet-le-Duc's spire, leaving open both the possibilities of a replica and of something new.

The President promised a rebuilding in the span of five years — probably with the 2024 Summer Olympics in Paris in mind. Some experts, though, are more wary, speaking of the possibility for such a work to extend up to decades.

Good work there @Etrigan. And good news for the most part.

I'd bet they could have the exterior looking complete by 2024 if they really push it, at least as long as you don't look too close. The entire restoration? Probably not.

@Etrigan, your updates have been more informative than anything else I've been able to find.

Sounds like a fairly miraculous day for Notre Dame. I never expected that so much would be saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
@Etrigan, your updates have been more informative than anything else I've been able to find.
For real. Thank you for all the info / updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty View Post

Sounds like a fairly miraculous day for Notre Dame. I never expected that so much would be saved.
Echoing this. Thank you for this.

More echoing but ...

I just want to say how fantastic your updates have been.
And how I appreciate them being clear and precise.

Really, thank you.