Rise of Skywalker - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rise of Skywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosit View Post
I like that there's a new TIE Interceptor design, because it's one of my favorite TIE models.

Oh, and it looks like we have another A-Wing getting shot down!

But, yeah, not terribly excited.
Wasn't that just the same ship Kylo Ren piloted in TLJ? I mean, I'm certainly not going to watch TLJ again to check; but IIRC his fighter looked pretty much like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
Wasn't that just the same ship Kylo Ren piloted in TLJ? I mean, I'm certainly not going to watch TLJ again to check; but IIRC his fighter looked pretty much like that.
No, I paused to look, the ship in the trailer is definitely a First Order variant of the TIE Interceptor. Kylo's ship was kind of a mashup between Vader's TIE Advanced and an Interceptor. You can tell by looking at the fuselage.

I wonder if I should feel bad that I think this matters.

I move for a vote of "No Confidence" in JJA, KK, and DisneyCorp.
It would be delightful to actually have a good movie, but I don't expect one.

I would call myself a die-hard Star Wars fan. Saw every one of the prequels on their opening days. When I was at university, I organized and then taught a History of the Star Wars Universe class for several semesters, that was worth upper division credits.

You could not pay me any amount of money to go see this movie in the theatres. I'm like a beaten dog - the fear of disappointment is too great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhisperMagellan View Post
I move for a vote of "No Confidence" in JJA, KK, and DisneyCorp.
It would be delightful to actually have a good movie, but I don't expect one.
I'd agree. Except that Johnson is getting another Trilogy and Disney have proven conclusively that Kathleen Kennedy won't be fired short of something impossibly extreme. Like, live streaming herself in front of a credible live audience executing people in a manner banned by the Geneva Convention because she decided she didn't like there preference's for ice cream flavors levels of impossibly extreme.

So, given that Johnson and Kennedy are not going to be reigned in in the slightest, even if, by some miracle, in defiance of the entire Hollywood system at this point, Episode 9 is a middle of the road Star Wars outing,

It won't matter, because Johnson will, just for spite sake, be all too gleefully delighted to spend the next three movies destroying it. And Kennedy will be Joker laughing the entire time as she pushes it forward, no matter what happens.

The only thing that might, maybe, possibly, conceivably, make the next 3 movies after this no go down that road, is for every Star Wars project between then and now, to be an irrefutable, unmitigated fiscal disaster for Disney.

And even then I doubt that will get them to do the things necessary to even begin to wonder if maybe perhaps they should be begin to think about wondering if they should possibly begin contemplating researching the idea of course correcting.

There was a time when I would have called myself a huge Star Wars fan. It wasn't all that long ago. Certainly I was a huge fan of Star Wars growing up. The original film dropped when I was preschool-aged, and it was the very first thing I was ever a fan of. And I continued to be a fan! For decades! I read Star Wars books, I played Star Wars games, I watched the films, and re-watched the films, and re-re-watched the films, and re-re-re-watched the films...

But then came the Special Editions in 1997, and it's all been downhill from there. Sometimes very sharply downhill. But I continued to think of myself as a Star Wars fan for another 20 years, give or take. Things came to a head after TFA: TLJ was the first Star Wars movie I just couldn't be bothered to see in the theater (I did eventually see it, and immediately regretted it), but I'm sure there will be more. In fact, I suspect not seeing new Star Wars movies in the theater is going to be my new normal. Oh, well. There was a time when I would have called myself a huge Star Wars fan. It wasn't all that long ago.

I grew up with the original movies as well and I loved them but I never read the books and immersed myself in the "Lore". I'll still watch them if they are on TV.

The Special Edition Movies in 97 were pretty bad but I was able to enjoy some things. I don't watch the re runs.

I did not see Solo, the trailer looked bad, the reviews were bad, and friends confirmed it was bad, so I skipped it.

Personally I have enjoyed the Disney versions because I didn't read any books I can simply look at them as a movie that entertains me. Sometimes there is a certain bliss that comes from ignorance of things that are done to move away from "Canon". I also like Rey. So I'll go see the new one and look at it the same way, a singular movie that hopefully is entertaining.

It is always hard, IMO, to enjoy movies based on books when you have read the books first. Movies are too short to tell the whole story so lots of things get left out. Hollywood has to sensationalize things to make them sell to the masses (that's the consumers fault really) so they alter stories to make them more "sexy" to the viewer and that's just a fact of life.

This makes me glad that I never read Star Wars books and immersed myself in the world so much because I can enjoy the movies as stand alone entertainment. As I've gotten older I tend to stay away from movies based on books I have read to avoid disappointment. On the other side, if I watch a good movie that was based on a book or books, then I will go and read the books and this formula has become much more rewarding and enjoyable. It saves me from a lot of unneeded and unproductive vitriol. Lord knows there are enough other things in life that provoke agitation!

The girlfriend and I will probably see it, as we've seen all the other Disney SW so far (save for Solo, but thankfully Netflix showed us it was wise to skip it). While TLJ kinda mulled our enthusiasm for these new movies quite a bit, we are hopeful. I mean, we can watch them and enjoy them as movies (we have our nitpicks and issues with them like everyone else), but I would be lying if I said we were excited. I mean, the TFA trailer drops, and it was amazing, and once the Falcon came on screen, we about lost it. TLJ got us some excitement in there. This one doesn't give us much of anything like the others did.

Still, we'll go see it. If nothing else, it'll be a nice date night and give us more bonding over our shared love of movies.

The trailer looks good, but trailers are supposed to.
I enjoyed TFA until I got out of the theater and began to actually consider the movie and how it operated out of pure nostalgia. I found TLJ a really bad movie in itself and as part of a trilogy (childish humor, scenes that add nothing to the plot, surprising changes in direction that still manage to add nothing to the story and only make the characters inconsistent, and as slow as death by a thousand cuts).

Even if this one turns out to be good, I can't imagine it being so good to save the whole trilogy for me. The only thing I am kind of happy about is that Disney is taking a moment to reflect on the whole SW-movies business. ...hopefully they might realise that having the draft of a whole developing storyline is better than make things up as they go along.

...on a more humorous side-note...Lando must really like that shirt.

Disney: "I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

We are all Lando.