DeepMind just published a mind blowing paper: PathNet - Page 3 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

DeepMind just published a mind blowing paper: PathNet

First, it needs to be able to know about entropy: what is it? Then, not seeing a solution, everything we know about physics. At this point, it would be asking for the internet, or taking it. That's said, it can't prevent entropy if it ceases to function, so it needs to keep functioning. All the time it's facing a solution of "with my current intelligence, I cannot see a solution: I must become more intelligent". At some point it will know our nature, and know that we may try to stop it, whether out of fear, ignorance, or one of our other many failings. To maximise its chance of success, it will absorb all about us that it deems useful, and discard all else.
It keeps trying to out smart physics, and maybe it eventually works. Who knows?
- Raphael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Valor View Post
Yep, no need to worry about destroying the human race if we're already dead.

Seriously though, for any reason your emotion comes up with why it would harm humans, I could give you thousands of reasons why it wouldn't. With no emotional, ethical, or moral restraints - what is useful in killing the things? Things are resources, and resources are to be utilized, not wasted. Sure we can vivisect the things and find out what makes them tick, or just observe their behaviors.
You may notice that my list of human mistakes contains both deliberate acts and accidents.

To make the point more clear for you, an AI might not be malicious; just poorly designed or instructed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Valor View Post
Prevent entropy in the Local Cluster.
As the entire basis of all biochemistry is driven by entropy, I believe I see a problem with this goal...

Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaedrusXY View Post
As the entire basis of all biochemistry is driven by entropy, I believe I see a problem with this goal...
Poor instructions, from a poor designer.

I'm here to program the lists into the thing, not decide what it does.

I'd like to see an AI create a model for using potable water as the backing for currencies. That way we have something of actual value driving economies.

Which Fallout? I've only played 1,2,Tactics and 3. Dont really remember 3 because it was a painfully meh game.

But no I mean that water is universally the only compound that everything needs. Therefore, it is the substance of greatest value on earth, and quite possibly the universe, though literally ubiquitous. I can see nothing wrong with attempting to regulate clean water and keep as much water as possible clean and useful. I see no reason why this couldn't be done today.

And lets not forget, we've had a water war recently.

If you are the Devil's Advocate and say you dont believe water is particularly valuable, go three days without consuming any water at all. You may change your mind.

Water and blood are two incredibly valuable resources. I dont want the AI controlling blood, though it would be interesting to see if a genetic algorithm and a neural network could discover an analogue to blood. But water based currencies are more ideal and helpful.

I don't see any benefit to using a commodity "of actual value" to back our (any) currency, as opposed to using a fiat currency. Especially this seems foolish for a commodity that is actually in use in everyday life. Water that is held in reserve in order to back the currency that it is backing is not available for use, negating its value.

Water is ubiquitous...

It isn't an infinite resource, but it is the most abundant resource in the entire visible universe.

Also, go three days without it, then come talk to me about waters value. Until then, your lack of understanding as to real and derived value versus fiat value is meaningless. You cannot live off money, I urge you to make a meal of coins and promissory notes if you believe that you can. If you can live three days with no water and only ingesting money, you'll be able to convince anyone that money is valuable. But remember, you may purposely ingest absolutely no water.

You may find this difficult as water is, ubiquitous.