Uncovering The Empty Throne - Steanpunk, Desert Ruins and Ancient Magic - Page 4 - Myth-Weavers

Uncovering The Empty Throne - Steanpunk, Desert Ruins and Ancient Magic

Old Jun 13 '18, 4:02pm
Lawful Neutral

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Uncovering The Empty Throne - Steanpunk, Desert Ruins and Ancient Magic

Opening Arelis - Forum
Pathfinder

From all walks of life, all corners of the Kingdom of Kantrias, people have come.

Riding in the mighty airships that are now the pride and joy of Kantrias's magical and technological achievement, colonists, explorers and soldiers have crossed the vast, deadly heat of the Glass Desert and come to that great ruin on the edge of the Canyon of Ghosts. To Arelis. To the Kingdom of The Empty Throne.

Once the heart of the greatest Empire - at the time, anyway - to grace the continent of Bayetz, Arelis fell over 1,500 years ago. Internal strife, shrinking oases and shifting trade patterns tore away at the heart of the city and its extensive holdings - and then, one day, silence. The city of Arelis was empty and closed, the gates sealed by a magic so great no one has been able to break it. Secret tunnels remain functional into and out of the city - and all reports, through all the ages, suggest a city empty of life save for animals and what plants could survive in the desert and among the worst, sand drakes and glass scarabs, beasts with a venom that will often drive its victim mad - leaving most reports that have come from expeditions to Arelis rambling messes at best.

But now, with the entire weight of the Crown of Kantrias, the weight of the most powerful nation currently on Bayetz, Arelis may be reclaimed. Already some 20,000 people have settled in the forts outside the walls of the city, and though food and water are a thin lifeline, reliant on magic and constant imports as much as anything else, there is a hope. A hope... and an apprehension.

Arelis has become known as the Kingdom of the Empty Throne, a mocking title, legends suggesting that the city be cursed or damned, that to try and rule Arelis will only rebound in failure and ruin. The Queen of Kantrias seems determined to take that chance.

And you, among so many others, are here in Arelis. For whatever reason - to explore the ruins and uncover the past, to seek danger in the 'cursed' land for the sake of danger, perhaps just to get rich, or even possibly on the orders of another. But each of you have received a letter from the Royal Governor of Arelis, requesting your presence. Though none of you know it now, that letter will set in motion a chain of events that will uncover the true meaning of The Empty Throne.

Arelis will be Opened - and all that was lost with it may well return.

---

Opening Arelis is a Campaign for 4-5 7th level characters. It begins as a simple task set by the Governor, and as events in the ruins and in the colony pick up pace, a much wider scope opens and up and begins. It is a Steampunk-ish game set on the frontier, in the desert, where modern technology and ancient magic come together to shape the future of the world.

Opening Arelis is a game with a fairly idiosyncratic setting - there are only six allowed races, and only three of them are of the traditional seven (Human, Dwarves and Half-Elves, though Half-Elves are called 'Elfbloods' and have a slightly different origin). The other three are Dhampirs, Lizardmen and Shadiran. Further, because of the different nature of the universe and the particularities of the Kingdom of Kantrias, many classes and archetypes are not allowed or are restricted in some fashion. That does mean this may not be the game for everyone.

There's a lot of setting details to be read as well - while I don't expect anyone to have it memorized, I do expect at least a good skim over by prospective players, and people whose applications show they've done the reading will get a leg up on others. I'm looking for people interested in a largely serious game, with deep characterization and exploration of the setting and story.

The applications period will extend for at least the next two weeks (that is, until 6/27/18) and Possibly longer, given the sheer amount of lore I am throwing at everyone - I will announce at least 5 days ahead of time what the end of the application period will be.

The Applications Subforum is located here and the Setting Information Subforum is located here

Game Description:

For over one and a half thousand years, the city of Arelis has sat empty on the edge of the Canyon of Ghosts, at the heart of the Glass Desert. Once the Arelan Empire stretched all over the continent of Bayetz, with fortresses and trading posts from the Roof of the World to the Shores of the Shattered Sea, its civilization influencing all who came before it - it wasn't the first civilization on Bayetz, but in its day, it was the greatest.

But as with all empires, it fell - to rebellion on the fringes, which reduced the trade that fueled their empire. To the desert growing even drier and hotter than before, shrinking oases and reducing food - and to internat strife, as battles between rival nobles and priest-kings undermined the empire. Eventually, all communication between Arelis and what was left of her outer holdings ceased - and all visits to the city found it empty, the gates closed, home only to traps, ancient wards, constructs and the hostile monsters of the Glass Desert - sand drakes, glass scarabs and worse.

Civilization was set back across the continent with that fall, but in time, it came back - and today, the mightiest realm on Bayetz is the Kingdom of Kantrias, which sits at the forefront of the industrial revolution overtaking the continent. Many expeditions to Arelis, now darkly known as the Kingdom of the Empty Throne, have been launched, few survived and none came back with the survivors entirely sane. But they all travelled overland, alone - the new expedition has arrived on steam airships, with the economic might of a whole nation behind it - and the city will be resettled and reclaimed, a colony of the Kingdom of Kantrias.

Dare you come to Arelis? Dare you strike out and claim your destiny here, on the edge of civilization in the heart of a baking desert, surrounded by hostile tribes and ancient magics? Are you seeking history, profit or escape? Will Arelis be your new home, or your grave?

Do you dare to come, to the Kingdom of the Empty Throne?

Opening Arelis is a Pathfinder Campaign for 4-5 players set in a homebrew world designed by myself and several friends years ago that I have adapted for use with Pathfinder. Journey to a world of ancient kingdoms and rising empires, a world of occult mystery, powerful magicks and new clockwork and steam-based technologies. A world where rank upon rank of mustketmen stand shoulder to shoulder and fire massed volleys at charging centaurs, a world where airships and their crews do battle with rocs and their riders. A world of high ideals and low scheming, where everyone has an agenda and nothing is quite what it seems. Journey to the continent of Bayetz and the city of Arelis, and discover the lost mysteries of the Kingdom of the Empty Throne!

Last edited by Kylia Quilor; Jun 13 '18 at 4:03pm..
The lack of halflings makes Duck sad. =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckerby View Post
The lack of halflings makes Duck sad. =(
Sorry.

So, this looks intriguing, and I've been wanting to play a Machinesmith for quite some time. Are you allowing only the Machinesmith material on the d20PFSRD, or are the other splat books that haven't made it to the SRD fair game as well? Specifically I was looking at Cutting Edge Machinesmith and Weapons of Machinesmith Desctruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arklytte View Post
So, this looks intriguing, and I've been wanting to play a Machinesmith for quite some time. Are you allowing only the Machinesmith material on the d20PFSRD, or are the other splat books that haven't made it to the SRD fair game as well? Specifically I was looking at Cutting Edge Machinesmith and Weapons of Machinesmith Desctruction.
SRD only, as I don't own any books related to the Machinesmith

Cool. There should be enough on the SRD to make an interesting character. Mostly the other two books add Tricks and Greatwork options, which can be done without.