Texas Bathroom Bill - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Texas Bathroom Bill

Texas Bathroom Bill

This follows from another thread because I think it is something that needs to be discussed, even though it pertains specifically to one state in the U.S. It already occurred in another state and will not stop here if successful.

To wit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steampunkadept View Post
...It's new bathroom bill, as an example, now requires that I use a different public bathroom because my generics and physiology are at odds. I was born with the physiology of one gender, and the chromosome count of another. I have never identified as the gender of my genetics.

The new law goes by gender on a birth certificate. Mine, incorrectly assigns me the gender my biology says I am, which means that by law, I am now required to use a bathroom that does not match my physiology.

This law, that claims to protect women and children from "predators" now puts me in danger.
Steam is correct that there is a bill, but it has not yet passed into law. A previous attempt at passing a bathroom bill failed, and this is the next iteration.

The Bill: http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs...l/SB00006I.htm
The summary: http://www.businessinsider.com/texas...-is-sb6-2017-3

For those of you else where, Texas is a broad mix of extremely right wing and extremely left wing folk largely divided and weighted between rural and urban, respectively. The state government is very red while the governments of the large cities are purple to blue. Austin and Dallas passed city ordinances that protected the rights of transgendered people to use the facilities that are appropriate to them. The only way the Republicans can change this is by enacting state law which has the ability to supersede city and county laws, which SB6 does.

Now, why are they doing this? To protect the children and womenfolk from bad people. Allegedly they are not trying to curtail the rights of the transgendered, but merely preventing perverts from claiming to be of the opposite sex so they can enter a facility and prey upon the helpless inhabitants within.

Yeah.

Two days ago, 3/8/17 there was a procedural vote and the measure moved forward. The full Senate will likely vote on this next week.

So, let's talk about this.

Also, at least some of you said that you are residents of Texas. Here are your state senators who will be voting on this. http://www.senate.state.tx.us/members.php

Quote:
Now, why are they doing this? To protect the children and womenfolk from bad people. Allegedly they are not trying to curtail the rights of the transgendered, but merely preventing perverts from claiming to be of the opposite sex so they can enter a facility and prey upon the helpless inhabitants within.
Is this a problem?

According to the evidence I've seen presented, the supposed problem this bill purports to solve is one roughly on par with being struck by lightning while being eaten by a shark at the same time as you're being assaulted by a Mysterious One-Armed Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
Is this a problem?
As someone who physiologically appears and functions as one gender, but who has a biology that says I should be a different gender, yes, this is a problem.

As things are currently, I'm legally able to use the bathroom that matches my physiology. If/when this bill passes, I will be required by law to use the bathroom that matches my biology, because that is what's listed on my birth certificate. I am not trans, nor have I ever identified as a gender other than what my physiology says I am.

To be fair, the only reason I even know that my biology and physiology don't match is that my parents had me screened for generic diseases when I was born due to family history. The doctors discovered that my chromosome count said I was one gender, rather than what I appear to be due to my physiology.

As a law meant to protect against perverts, this law fails, as it now forced me to use a bathroom that does not match my gender.

I'll give examples in both cases, because I choose not to disclose my gender here.

Assume I'm physiologically male for a moment. My biology and birth certificate, therefore, states that I'm female. With this law, I'm now being forced to use a woman's restroom, which would make me look like a pervert.

Now, assume I'm physiologically female. My biology and birth certificate, therefore, state that I'm male. Now, you are forcing a woman into a men's restroom, which puts me in danger from perverts who may otherwise not see me as a viable target, simply due to access.

Remember, I am not trans. I function entirely as the gender I appear. I do not function, in any way, as the gender my biology says I am.

I mean, there's an argument that we just shouldn't bother with gendered toilets anyway. It's just a place to get rid of some stuff you don't need any more, after all, so regardless of the fact that this causes some people problems, it also feels a bit silly.

I just don't know how they are going to enforce it other than, either waiting until someone complains about someone and just looking at birth certificate after the fact, and there likely not even being evidence of the event anymore, other than witness testimony, or they're going to have bathroom monitors checking people's birth certificates at the door prior to you being allowed to use the bathroom.

Not saying its a good law, but it just seems to be hard to enforce and just lead to some retarded witch hunt when there are better things they can do with their time. Perverts would likely be doing something illegal in the first place so how about they just enforce the laws on the book and leave everyone else alone.

Sodomy laws were hard to enforce too. Enforcement isn't always the point with these sorts of laws, though. Instead, they're designed to shame and stigmatize people who are perceived by the law-making majority as "other".

With the effect of normalizing the accompanying harassment and other violence against the 'othered' group.

It's also a repudiation of those municipalities that dared to pass ordinances to protect these particular TG rights. This is the aspect of the Republican party that Libertarians despise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penchant View Post
It's also a repudiation of those municipalities that dared to pass ordinances to protect these particular TG rights. This is the aspect of the Republican party that Libertarians despise.
Oh, you mean he part where the Republican party claims to be for small government, and minimal interference in a citizen's life, then proceeds to tell women what to do with their bodies, tell gays they aren't allowed to be gay, and tell transgender that they aren't allowed to be transgender? Shall I go into their gerrymandering of the political system when in power, such as redistricting Texas to the point that even cities like Dallas, with massive Democratic populations, see Republicans win a great many elections, not due to turn out, but due to districts being drawn to favor the GOP? Or shall I go into their work to disenfranchise voters who tend to vote against the Republican party, as they've most recently and notably done in South Carolina?

Shall we also ignore that this is the same party that cries "State's Rights" then supports a President who want s to use Federal Law to override states that have legalized marijuana?