Metatype subtype help. - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Metatype subtype help.

Metatype subtype help.

So, I was recently gifted the core rules and a few other books for Shadowrun 5e.

And I've been flipping through them, and I found a section in one of them that advises me that the main Metatypes (Human, Dwarf, Elf, Orc and Troll.), have subtypes that are region specific. (Humans have a variant form India with a lot of extra arms, Dwarfs have Gnomes, a Monkey Person variant from India, and a really fast Japanese Variant, Elves have Dryads, a Zulu Warrior variant somewhere in Africa, and dark elves, Orcs have Ogers, Oni and Hobgoblins, Trolls have Giants, Minotaur's and some Celtic Magic variant.).

And then there are listings for other things. Pixies, Naga's, Centaurs, and things called Shifters and Surge Mutants.

Only, while the core rule book seems to have stats expressly laid out for the core 5 base Meta Types, I can't find stats for the other one's I've just listed off. Lore and fluff sure, but not actual mechanical stats effects of playing one of these things.

Does anyone have a book and page number for that information floating around somewhere by chance? Cause I'm honestly lost right now.

Yeah, that's the book I saw a bunch of the fluff and lore for them in. Don't see anything about, well, anything else really. No stat blocks or anything. Is that like, weirdly edited to another part of the book or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117 View Post
Yeah, that's the book I saw a bunch of the fluff and lore for them in. Don't see anything about, well, anything else really. No stat blocks or anything. Is that like, weirdly edited to another part of the book or something?
If you are looking in run faster, the stats are on page 105.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golarionman View Post
If you are looking in run faster, the stats are on page 105.
OK! So, now that I've got that. I'm looking at them. Am, am I reading this wrong? I, can't see were most of the metatypes have any mechanical difference from the base-forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephirothsword117 View Post
OK! So, now that I've got that. I'm looking at them. Am, am I reading this wrong? I, can't see were most of the metatypes have any mechanical difference from the base-forms.
From what I remember no big changes except some different characteristics maximums or access to other advantages/disadvantages. Usually, people only go for them to make some gimmick characters.

@Sephirothsword117

So the alternate Metatypes can be a tad confusing. Each one has different starting and maximum attribute values, as well as different racial traits. For the most part, there isn't any major differences for the metatypes, with a few exceptions (hello four-arms!). Sometimes you see players take one of these up to min-max attributes or to play up something weird and different.

It's not until you get into Pixies, Centaurs, and shifters does it really change up. If you're still learning the ropes, don't dive into that stuff nor allow your players to do so. In fact, I'd advise you not to allow Pixies at all, unless you really trust that player (they tend to draw out the worst in players, not unlike a certain type of halflings from Dragonlance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki View Post
@Sephirothsword117

So the alternate Metatypes can be a tad confusing. Each one has different starting and maximum attribute values, as well as different racial traits. For the most part, there isn't any major differences for the metatypes, with a few exceptions (hello four-arms!). Sometimes you see players take one of these up to min-max attributes or to play up something weird and different.

It's not until you get into Pixies, Centaurs, and shifters does it really change up. If you're still learning the ropes, don't dive into that stuff nor allow your players to do so. In fact, I'd advise you not to allow Pixies at all, unless you really trust that player (they tend to draw out the worst in players, not unlike a certain type of halflings from Dragonlance).
I'm not the GM, so, no worries there. And I don't think anyone in the group is showing a particular interest pixies. The one person who might have lost interest when she heard "So you can be an elf that does supernatural archery based acrobatic martial arts that defy physicis, with a high tech bow and arrows set up that could make Green Arrow or Hawkeye feel under equipped." and said "sold!". (Just an elf with Adept and a bow and some high tech arrows.).

Alright. I was curious about a few of them as I'd mentioned. Several of them lent themselves to rather, amusing, concepts.