Undermountain: Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Old Jan 5 '19, 6:19pm
Black Belt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Undermountain:Dungeon of the Mad Mage - Forum
Dungeons & Dragons 5e

In the city of Waterdeep rests a tavern called The Yawning Portal, named after a gaping pit in its common room. At the bottom of this crumbling shaft is a labyrinthine dungeon shunned by all but the most daring adventurers. Known as Undermountain, this dungeon is the domain of the mad wizard Halaster Blackcloak. Long has the Mad Mage dwelt in its forlorn depths, seeding his layer with monsters, traps, and mysteries. To what end? That question is a constant source of speculation and concern.

This adventure takes players from 5th all the way to 20th level should they explore the entirety of Halaster's home. Twenty-three levels of Undermountain are yours to plunder.

Character creation is simple. We are doing a standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) for ability scores and may use the following books and supplements for character creation:
-The Player's Handbooks
-Volo's Guide to Monsters
-Elemental Evil Player's Companion
-Xanathar's Guide to Everything
-The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
-The Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron (yes, you can play a warforged)

Your character must be level 5 and can take the human variant features if one plays a human. You may pick one uncommon item and have 500 + 1d10 x 25 gp, and normal starting equipment as well. I would also like a 3-5 paragraph description/backstory of your character along with the sheet. Submit those in the character sheets thread in the Undermountain game forum.

I will accept five players. Good luck, and enjoy the delve into Undermountain!!!

Game Description:

In the city of Waterdeep rests a tavern called The Yawning Portal, named after a gaping pit in its common room. At the bottom of this crumbling shaft is a labyrinthine dungeon shunned by all but the most daring adventurers. Known as Undermountain, this dungeon is the domain of the mad wizard Halaster Blackcloak. Long has the Mad Mage dwelt in its forlorn depths, seeding his layer with monsters, traps, and mysteries. To what end? That question is a constant source of speculation and concern.

This adventure takes players from 5th all the way to 20th level should they explore the entirety of Halaster's home. Twenty-three levels of Undermountain are yours to plunder.

Character creation is simple. We are doing a standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8) for ability scores and may use the following books and supplements for character creation:
-The Player's Handbooks
-Volo's Guide to Monsters
-Elemental Evil Player's Companion
-Xanathar's Guide to Everything
-The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
-The Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron (yes, you can play a warforged)

Your character must be level 5 and can take the human variant features if one plays a human. You may pick one uncommon item and have 500 + 1d10 x 25 gp, and normal starting equipment as well. I would also like a 3-5 paragraph description/backstory of your character along with the sheet. Submit those in the character sheets thread in the Undermountain game forum.

I will accept five players. Good luck, and enjoy the delve into Undermountain!!!

How would you feel about a Kenku rogue/ranger pair? My wife and I are back on the weave after a long absence and we'd love to join this game!

If not we can come up with other concepts too

I'm totally fine with that, sounds like fun! The story is flexible and not that tied to any campaign setting in particular so you guys can literally be from anywhere in the multiverse. It is a HUGE dungeon. RP-ing is always welcome, but its definitely gonna be more focused on the side of hack and slash, puzzles, and exploration.

How do you feel about Gnolls? 5e did a number on their likelihood of being a pc race but I love them so.