Owl City - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Writers' Guild

A community for writers of all genres to hone our craft, with monthly exercises, challenges, and collaborative writing. Open to anyone who enjoys writing!

Owl City

Owl City

This is from Owl City's Myspace page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl City
Hello, my name is Adam.
I prefer daydreams over reality.
Music is my muse.
Now we get to let his music be our muse. Take a listen to the songs posted below and write whatever comes to mind when you hear it. When 100 or a 1000 words, whatever you're inspired to write and have fun doing it.

These links will all be to YouTube, because I'm not sure how else to do this. None are official music videos. As far as I can tell, only "Fireflies" has one ( ) but he's got a bunch of good ones. One is probably good to start with, so first up is "Hot Air Balloon," 'cuz its been stuck in my head all day.

"Hot Air Balloon"
Example lyric: "We wrote a prelude/ To our own fairy tale/ And bought a parachute/ At a church rummage sale."

Lyrics to Hot Air Balloon :
We load a prelude to our own fairytale.
And bought a parachute at a church rummage sale
And with a mean sewing machine and miles of thread
We sewed the day above la in navy and red.
We round a racetrack to your moms kitchen stairs
And fought the shadows back down your dark basement stairs. I lit a match and let it catch to light up the room.
And then you yelled as we beheld an old maroon.

Hot air balloon

I'll be out of mind
and you'll be out of ideas pretty soon.
So lets spend the afternoon
in a cold hot air balloon.
Leave your jacket behind.
We now can touch the tree tops over town.
I can't wait to kiss the ground wherever we touch back down.

la la la la la la
la la la la la la

We drank the great lakes like cold lemonade.
And both got stomach aches sprawled out in the shade.
So bored to death you held your breath and I tried not to yawn. You make my frown turn upside and now my worries are gone.

I'll be out of mind
Leave your jacket behind
we now can touch the tree tops over town.
I can't wait to kiss the ground wherever we touch back down.

I'll be out of mind
Leave your jacket behind
we now can touch the tree tops over town.
I can't wait to kiss the ground wherever we touch back down

Just for anyone who has a little trouble picking up lyrics from a song, there it is. I must admit, I turned up an eyebrow at Owl City when you first mentioned them as a source, because I thought they were too whimsical and silly. But they grew on me a little. I think they conjure up some nice images and ideas.

Okay, so it ended up around 1300 words, but I couldn't really trim much out. Actually, it should probably be longer. And it's a romance! I guess there really is a first time for everything.

I kinda liked this subject, as at one time, between jobs, I found myself employed as a hot air balloon chaser, setting them up; casing them in a ground pursuit vehicle; and landing and packing it up. Quite an interesting job...

And yet another Owl City song that saw my Repeat option overused, both on computer and iPod. This one brought about three or four different ideas and I'm still not quite sure why I settled for the one I wrote.

Just for the record, my second best idea did include a hot air balloon. It was also very Final Fantasy - ish, which amused me greatly.

I think its time for another prompt, just because. If anyone wants to still do the first, that's okay, just post what song you're using just so we know. And the new one is:

"Strawberry Avalanche"

This was the best video i could find. Now this one has some interesting imagery, so I'm really curious to see what we can come up with. And, for the record, the lyric is: "A grass blade flashed with a gleam as it slashed open a moon beam," not a "grasp light," whatever that is.