Rockeeter Remake in the works - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rockeeter Remake in the works

Rockeeter Remake in the works

So, this is happening: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...t-works-915037

Little late to the party, but I'm glad their planning one. How many people want to see this become reality? Or at least saw the original?

I loved the original. In this one, I hope they get to use Doc Savage like they wanted to in the original. It would be neat to tie it to the old pulp stories.

Last I heard, it was a sequel, not a remake. Kind of a reboot since it's new characters but clearly moving on to a sort of "next generation" rather than restarting things. I just wish I could shake the feeling that it's going to be a rather cold, formulaic exercise compared to the original.

Well, I think that the soft reboot is the safest route for studios to take now. Hard reboots have so much more to live up to since they purport to replace an original work. The soft reboot doesn't do that but still goes in its own direction and earns much less ire in the process. Of course it still has to be good. But it's less of an uphill battle.

I enjoyed the original, and a sequel would be nice... but an American black female pilot, just six years after WWII? We Americans were neither so enlightened about women or POC in that era, to put someone who was both in a position where she'd have the access, skills, or authority to step into this! Not up front, anyway. We're still trying to keep hidden/deny just how much women really did do during WWII, period!

They'll have to be really clever to come up with a believable way to make this happen, or I'll have a great deal of difficulty suspending disbelief. It'll just be too blatantly an effort to appeal to the non-white population. :/

Now, if they set it in, say, even the mid-60s... I'd have a much easier time buying into it being a black woman. That era was just full of women and POC breaking barriers, so this'd fit right in. Or another nationality, an immigrant, maybe; other nations were way ahead of America in breaking racial lines.

Amelia Earhart was a female pilot and the Tuskeegee airmen were black soldiers trained as pilots. So as long as you aren't saying she is a pilot in the army, I think it's okay. Cliff Secord was a private stunt pilot who found the rocket pack and I don't know if he even had a military background. Private pilots were much more common back then before things got so over regulated.

Yeah, but it's a "young" black woman. Earhart was in her 30s when she did her notable accomplishments. Which is pretty typical for aviation heroes of either sex. And, honestly, Earhart's only known for being the "first woman"... by the time she set her accomplishments, they'd already been done by lots of other people that just so happened to not have a vagina.

This looks to be another repeat of the race and sex pandering that Hollywood's caught up in of late.

Oh, and according to that article, they went with a black woman to separate the franchise from Iron Man.

....Riiiight....

Well, everyone is iron man now. I guess you'd have to make the rocketeer an anthropomorphic animal of some kind so as to avoid imagery of the iron man suit. A... Raccoon perhaps?