"Notes," The Story of Vathek, the Warlock (5th ed. d&d) - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

"Notes," The Story of Vathek, the Warlock (5th ed. d&d)

View Poll Results
Do you like this character?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%

"Notes," The Story of Vathek, the Warlock (5th ed. d&d)

A few friends and I will hopefully begin roleplaying together again for the first time in years, and even if we don't, I'd still like to use this character somehow...

"From the very beginning, life and Vathek seemed to be at odds with one another; he was delivered via an excruciating, twenty six hour labor that eventually claimed the life of his mother. Vathek, barely alive, was nursed to health by the attending midwife. His father couldn't bare to look at him, blaming the unknowing, half-dead infant for his wife's death, and refused to accept any responsibility for him.

The midwife, Mila, ran an orphanage in the next town, and accepted Vathek as her ward. Vathek grew slowly and painfully; he did not speak his first word until the age of 6, communicating through a series of grunts screams and other noises, and could not properly walk or motivate until age 7. Vathek also displayed prominent allergies to many foods and odors. Through it all, there was Mila, who, knowing no one would want such a slow boy, took him as her own special child.

It was through Mila's musical abilities that Vathek learned his first lessons, imitating sounds and words as best he knew how, and doing his utmost to form rhythms with his body, which later aided him in being able to walk like the other children. Mila made a point of delighting all of the children in the orphanage with song, but it was to Vathek, and he alone, that she made the secret magic of music known to. Every night, she would sing to him, filling his head with arcane melodies she hoped would help him.

By age 10, Vathek displayed increased intelligence, and, for all intents and purposes, seemed like other children, with a few salient exceptions: he did know how to properly socialize, he thought very differently, and was continuously bothered by mysterious thoughts only he could understand. For all this, Vathek had become an extremely intelligent little boy who loved to read, riddles, and play music. He had begun practicing various instruments with his adopted mother, Mila, whom he loved very much, and developed an extreme attachment to.

Then it happend; one day, an elderly old scholar sought to adopt Vathek. he kicked and screamed and told his mother he wouldn't go, but she tearfully insisted. That night, the man was given permission to take Vathek while he slept. Mila had slipped a note into a pocket in his sleeping clothes, wishing him all the best and telling him she loved him. When Vathek discovered this, his world was in ruins, and he was sent into a rage which almost cost him his life.

But the man was a sage who knew more than his share of magic, and used it to calm Vathek. Over the years, the Scholarly old man, who was known as Balchik, the Wise, taught Vathek many secrets about the universe through books and theories. Though perpetually torn by the loss of his mother, Vathek came to accept the old man as his new father, and the ample mysteries which puzzled his mind courtesy of Balchik worked wonders on his sorrow.

Life was good, but Vathek was continually the victim of ridicule by others for his odd behaviors. His pain also came from within: he remembered the beautiful, kindly woman who had accepted him as her own, and how she betrayed him. And when he was not reminiscing about past betrayals, he was beset by problems any other person would find trivial. For instance: if gods are gods, how can they die? Certain shapes and colors seemed offensive to Vathek for reasons even he couldn't fathom, and when things didn't go his way, he could become incredibly distraught, even to the point of wanting to die.

But it was for all these reasons the man took him. He believed he could fix Vathek, protect him, mold him into something greater

The old man was a priest of ______ (not sure which campaign we're using, but its a deity of music and philosophy), and, in time, Vathek followed in his footsteps. At the age of 18, he took vows and entered the priesthood. Vathek loved his new occupation; he had developed a genius intellect, and he helped people with deep philosophical questions, pondered the mysteries of the cosmos, and composed beautiful music of his very own to share with supplicants.

One of these supplicants was a blind girl named Ora. From the moment Vathek saw her, he loved her. Through numerous awkward attempts at conversation (which she found perfectly adorable), the two began courting one another. Ora confided in Vathek that no man had been interested in her because she was blind, and they wished for her to see them as attractive. This never bothered Vathek, he conifided back that no woman was ever interested in him because he was..."different". But these differences proved to be endearing to Ora, and the two of them committed to marry one another.

Vathek was immensely happy. He was finally living a normal life like he read about in his books, and was teased about for not having. But life had one last cruel trick to play...

On their wedding night, both Vathek and Ora came to a shocking realization: Vathek was impotent.

Vathek was devestated, but Ora, for the longest time, kept telling him that he didn't care, and he believe her, but he now nursed a tremendous dissapointment with himself. Still, he loved her, and she loved him, and so did _______ (whatever god he served).

Then, one morning, Vathek awoke to find his bed empty, and his wife nowhere to be found. On the kitchen table there was a note. In it, Ora explained that, while she truly loved Vathek, she desperately needed more, and so she left him.

For the second time in his life, Vathek was destroyed. He ran away from his home to a place only the strength of his feet would determine.

After he inevitably passed out from both exhaustion and heartbreak, he awoke to the sound of a familiar voice, and glimpsed a familiar face...

It was Mila, his mother! She had grown old and wizened, but he knew her gentle face anywhere. She had take him to bed in the old orphanage where she still resided. She was no longer in taking in children and the place had become her home. After that had happened, no better face could have awoken Vathek.

He was so happy to see her, he forgot all about his resentment of her for sending him away and immediately hugged her, crying.

Over the next few months, years of separation would be bridged by new bonds of closeness. But one day, while Mil was asleep, Vathek decided to do some cleaning to surprise her. He went to the cellar to retrieve some tools, but found something that haunts him to this day: he found paraphernalia for demonic worship, along with the bones of several children.

Speechless, shocked, Vathek just stood there, trying to rationalize, but then he heard the sound of Mila coming down the stairs. He turned and saw her...."Oh, Vathek", she said. Don't you see now? I had to send you away, otherwise i..."
But Vathek barely registered her words...such a contradiction, such an inconsitency, such a betrayal...

Without thinking, he hoisted a heavy brick from the ground, and killed the woman he had loved for all his life.

For the third and final time, Vathek was destroyed. He was sent into an existential rage and ran to a high cliff, where he screamed a vow that seemed to resound off every visible thing and beyond:

"Hear me! Whatever powers that be, whatever or whomever is listening,
If I am ill suited to this existence, if I am destined to never have happiness,
Then I forfeit any claim to a restful or blissful eternity, and forswear the ways
of reason! I swear fealty to the impure powers of corruption and chaos, and
reject all morality! Let me be eternally a thorn in the side of goodness, forever
the left hand of existence, if you will but grant me solace, if you will but allow me
peace of mind, if you give me power!"

He then hurled himself from the cliff.

He awoke.

Fully conscious of everything which had transpired, Vathek was scared and confused. He felt a strange surge of enrgy within him, an energy he could not identify. Then he saw it: a note not 5 feet from where lay. With a cautious reluctance, he opened it to view a brief message:

It is done.

Vathek knew of only one thing this could refer to, but that was impossible...but then, wasn't surviving such a fall? With a newfound curiosity which eclipsed his despair, he walked back to his home. There, on the very table his wife had left her wretched proclamation, was a book. Inside, written in a language unknown to Vathek at first, but which seemed to become clear somehow the longer he stared at, were what appeared to be spells and incantations he was not aware existed. At the beginning of the book was a preface which stated terms and conditions arbitrated by parties that only referred to themselves as "us". Chief among these stipulations was the following

1. You may not have any friends, only social acquaintances.
2. You may not help or assist anyone or anything unless there is clear material gain to be had, or
potential to spread doubt, misery, and or despair.
3. You may not discuss the knowledge or practices we disclose to you with anyone or anything, nor shall
you make known the existence of this pact with anyone or anything.

In return for faithful services rendered, you shall have everything your heart desires. Your mind shall
be sharper than all others. No adversary shall long stand against you. You will glut yourself on all
this world has to offer, and then some.

Make no mistake, you belong to us, and are now our exclusive property. When your day of death
arrives, we will claim your essence for ourselves, per this agreement through the oath you swore.
Should you break this oath, you are no longer entitled to the benefits of this arrangement, but are
required to make good on your end of the bargain, one way or another.

Thus, Vathek began his new life as a patron of the dark arts, his unknown and eldritch patrons whispering terrible secrets into his ears and his dreams.

Vathek now seeks to have all the fun that he can before whatever it is that has granted him his power finally claims him, along with taking his own personal vengeance upon life, which is also a term of his agreement.

In his sadistic and hedonistic pursuits, Vathek is often tormented by the decision he hastily made. He'll just have to work that much harder at having fun, and making sure others have as little as possible.

CHARACTER SPECIFICS

Class: Warlock Race: Human Deity: None (Great Old Ones Patron) Alignment: Neutral Evil

Background: Haunted One

Strength: 10+0 HP: 11 Equipment: Club, 2 daggers, Leather Armor, Component pouch, Scholar's Pack,
Dexterity: 15+2 AC: 15 3 sets of clothing, Book of Shadows (Necronomicon)
Constitution: 16+3
Wisdom: 9-1 Feats: Awakened Mind (telepathy), Pact of the Tome, Linguist, Otherworldy
Intelligence: 17+3 Patron, Pact Magic, Magic Initiate, Haunted One
Charisma: 16+3

Personality: Cold, distant, disdainful, and at times seemingly regretful or even mournful.

Ideals: Pure Hedonism Spells:

Bonds: None 0--Eldritch Blast, Minor Illusion

Flaws: Envy, Hubris, Regret 1--Dissonant Whispers, Hex

Book of Shadows--Thaumaturgy, Vicious
Mockery, Blade Ward

Magic Initiate--Charm Person, Chill touch,
Mage Hand

Height: 6"0" Infernal, Celestial, Undercommon
Weight: 160 lbs

I like it and want to offer some constructive criticism.

Personally I think it is a little long, so I would try and sum it up. And now I contradict myself by saying, you should try and write this from a first person point of view to help draw in your audience and make the story sound less like a factual text. Obviously you cannot describe your own birth, but after that add in some sensory like warm tears or the Sage smelling like a dusty library.

Coming back full circle, I like the story and I like how you laid out the rules set by your patron.