Posting Rates in Play-by-Post - Page 3 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Posting Rates in Play-by-Post

View Poll Results
What's your ideal posting rate?
I actually can't do play-by-post. Too slow. Live sessions, in person or online, only. 1 1.61%
Multiple, relevant posts a day. Blazing fast! 7 11.29%
One, relevant post a day. 23 37.10%
Every other day, slow but steady. 24 38.71%
A post every three (3) days. 16 25.81%
A post a week is enough for me. 8 12.90%
Not so concerned about posting rate. Slow or fast, I can keep up and enjoy it. 6 9.68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOasysMaster View Post
I'm realizing I should probably respond to some of the questions I've gotten in reply.
=P
It would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuirkyJoe View Post
It would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry 'bout the delay on my response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDesperado View Post
Preferred Rate Vs Reality sadly rarely ever seem to line up for most my games.
Yeah, I'd figure that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
Question. Are you talking about the GM posting rate? Or a collective posting? If the GM is posting once per day and also expecting the players to do so, that is a goal that is near impossible unless you get really lucky or you've invited a group of players you know already. I enjoy a game that has more than one relevant post per day, by anyone.
I'll admit, when I asked the question, I meant 'player posting rate' mostly and 'collective posting' secondarily. I take for granted that the Game Master would have to post more.
I realize, it might have been useful to clarify what my, current, approach to posting rate is:
Ideally, one relevant post-a-day. After three days without a post, a character might get DMPC'd (directed by a fellow player or the DM). If this process repeats another two times, for nine days without a post in total, DMPC is just taken for granted until the player returns.
If its months, with the player having been ghost'd, its just assumed real life has taken them away from the gamin table.
By relevant, I mean, a post that advances the game/story versus out-of-character chatter. So, a player asking for clarification about a ruling would be making a relevant post. So would a character posting their character's action for a combat round. Chatting about the latest Star Wars instead of taking your turn, wouldn't.

I play D&D on Myth-Weavers as a) a form of (healthy) escapism and b) practice my writing. I suspect that influences my desire for a relatively rapid post-rate.
I also admit, I have, by a landslide, been on the DM's side of posting, so I don't know what it's like to be a player being left behind by a rapid posting rate. I can only imagine, the same way I can imagine (and know), what it's like to have to wait.
And wait.
I haven't kicked anyone out of a game for not meeting a posting rate...
...but I have noticed that a lack of posts for a considerable amount of time is a good time to check in on a player and see what's up? Sometime it is the rate? Other time its just real-life or something with the story, which I can try and fix.
Would I kick someone for not being able to keep up? Maybe. Would that be a breach of the site rules?
I think, even right now, as I consider adding new players to a currently running game, I'm taking whether I've seen the player keep up a consistent posting rate into account.

Oasys, as a former player of yours that had to step aside because of the posting rate, I have to say it was really hard to leave. I love your game and I love the speed. You maintain everything that I always wanted to be able to do when I first came here. I would join back in a heartbeat if I could. But I know that just because I'm free now doesn't mean I will be free in September when school starts up again and I get busy at work. I think that's what makes your games so hard (for me). Not keeping the posting rates up when I'm free, but catching up when I'm out. That's damn near impossible.

This is strictly me speaking, obviously, but I don't normally play a character that I'm not 100% in to. I have to love every part of the concept: personality, mechanics, background, voice... It makes it really hard when I don't get in to a game, but it makes it really easy to play that character when I do. Unfortunately, after that character has passed weeks or months of activity without me there, it is hard to get back in to that character again. Similarly, after the game has passed weeks or months of activity (especially at your posting speeds) it's hard to get back in to the action again.

It is hard to be in your situation, I think. You are able to maintain the speed and posting rate over such a long period of time. There are not many that can. And falling off that wagon as a player is dangerous. It is very, very hard to get back on once it's moved five miles down the road. The game leaves you behind so fast there is little hope of getting back on. I think it would be easier to just step in with a new character, but that's really hard for the story. I wish you luck. Finding players that can consistently maintain your speeds would be amazing.

I play in a Traveller game which is currently going slow...meaning we've only got about 10 Ic posts in the last 36 hours. There's four players and the Referee, but since he has the time, we try not to kill the momentum.

I also play in a Pendragon game where a post a week is fine. The GM has that much time to spare, so we're fine as well.

Bottomline, it depends on the tempo the GM is imposing, IME!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
I play in a Traveller game which is currently going slow...meaning we've only got about 10 Ic posts in the last 36 hours. There's four players and the Referee, but since he has the time, we try not to kill the momentum.

I also play in a Pendragon game where a post a week is fine. The GM has that much time to spare, so we're fine as well.

Bottomline, it depends on the tempo the GM is imposing, IME!
I play in that same Traveller game. I'm likely the slowest player unfortunately. The Referee is very fast. I am trying to speed things up, but unfortunately work gets in the way often.

Your poll didn't have my option, which is "A post a day, unless it's a weekend/holiday" I don't have the same ease of access from home that I have at work. Most my time at home is spent off the computer, while all my time at work is spent on it.

This is purely anecdotal, but in my ten years of PbPing, I've found that the near-daily-post games tend to last far longer than the ones where people craft their fancy, lengthy posts once or twice a week. I understand what Vlad is saying - quality beats quantity, generally speaking - but as far as PbP goes, usually games with frequent new posts don't die nearly as often as games without frequent new posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
This is purely anecdotal, but in my ten years of PbPing, I've found that the near-daily-post games tend to last far longer than the ones where people craft their fancy, lengthy posts once or twice a week. I understand what Vlad is saying - quality beats quantity, generally speaking - but as far as PbP goes, usually games with frequent new posts don't die nearly as often as games without frequent new posts.
I'm playing in PbP since at least 2006, started running my first PbP on Nov 14, 2007. And much as quality beats quantity, I find that PbP is like driving a bycicle: doesn't matter where you even know where you're going, but you either maintain forward momentum, or you fall.

Quality vs. quantity is a pretty difficult thing when it comes to play by post games. One says it means there will be posts less often, but every post will be qyality. Another might say there's fewer words - quantity - in a post, but it actually does something to move the game forward - and a short post won't really take any time to get up, so you could have multiple simple posts posted in a short amount of time that together add up into a lot of good stuff and fun.

I think I have to lean towards the latter, myself. Sure, it's a treat to read good fun posts like say, once a week... But if our scene would take like, 10 posts per once a week writer, this scene will take at least 10 weeks before it's finished, and that's a very long time. We're even assuming all the people can keep up their interest for ten weeks, especially with week long waiting times! Daily poster, well, we could say that their posts would be shorter and have less stuff in them, so it takes them more posts to finish the scene. Let's say like, 20 posts. 20 days is still much, much faster than 10 weeks. 30 days, 40 days, same thing. It's just so much faster and speed should not be underestimated as a thing that makes the plot go forward.

I honestly much rather take a one liner that does nothing much except establish that one thing we probably were waiting for so we can just get on with the game while everyone's dying to keep going. If people don't get that much needed plot when they're really raring to go, it can be difficult to get them into it again when the fire has already died due to being forced to wait.

I was straight forward as a DM of my expectations for a post rate of 2 - 3 times per week. There has been three real life events (one sickness and two vacations). The players have been keeping everyone informed and the game is running fine. I believe it is due to players sharing their schedules that things will keep rolling.