Posting Rates in Play-by-Post - Page 4 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Posting Rates in Play-by-Post

View Poll Results
What's your ideal posting rate?
I actually can't do play-by-post. Too slow. Live sessions, in person or online, only. 1 1.61%
Multiple, relevant posts a day. Blazing fast! 7 11.29%
One, relevant post a day. 23 37.10%
Every other day, slow but steady. 24 38.71%
A post every three (3) days. 16 25.81%
A post a week is enough for me. 8 12.90%
Not so concerned about posting rate. Slow or fast, I can keep up and enjoy it. 6 9.68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fate View Post
I would join back in a heartbeat if I could.
You should! You're great!Tales from the Yawning Portal has moved on from Arune and Zuka...
...but Evil Does Not Sleep actually hasn't advanced much (it hasn't even been a week).
Quote:
I think that's what makes your games so hard (for me). Not keeping the posting rates up when I'm free, but catching up when I'm out. That's damn near impossible.
I am... fairly confident... If you just ignore the actual gameplay posts and the back and forths...
...and just read the compiled story posts, it should be easy to get into it with the format I use.
*sniffs*
Fate. I miss you.
=P
Quote:
Unfortunately, after that character has passed weeks or months of activity without me there, it is hard to get back in to that character again. Similarly, after the game has passed weeks or months of activity (especially at your posting speeds) it's hard to get back in to the action again.
That's fair. Momentum is huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestAtNames View Post
Quality vs. quantity is a pretty difficult thing when it comes to play by post games. One says it means there will be posts less often, but every post will be qyality. Another might say there's fewer words - quantity - in a post, but it actually does something to move the game forward - and a short post won't really take any time to get up, so you could have multiple simple posts posted in a short amount of time that together add up into a lot of good stuff and fun.

I think I have to lean towards the latter, myself. Sure, it's a treat to read good fun posts like say, once a week... But if our scene would take like, 10 posts per once a week writer, this scene will take at least 10 weeks before it's finished, and that's a very long time. We're even assuming all the people can keep up their interest for ten weeks, especially with week long waiting times! Daily poster, well, we could say that their posts would be shorter and have less stuff in them, so it takes them more posts to finish the scene. Let's say like, 20 posts. 20 days is still much, much faster than 10 weeks. 30 days, 40 days, same thing. It's just so much faster and speed should not be underestimated as a thing that makes the plot go forward.

I honestly much rather take a one liner that does nothing much except establish that one thing we probably were waiting for so we can just get on with the game while everyone's dying to keep going. If people don't get that much needed plot when they're really raring to go, it can be difficult to get them into it again when the fire has already died due to being forced to wait.
Yeah, that's what I mean by saying "momentum keeps the game from falling".

My approach to posting is: Log in every day. Check each game. If there it's time to post in that game, make a post as soon as I have time. Otherwise, ignore it It's time to make a post if:
  1. As a GM: All players have posted OR a player is asking me something specific.
  2. As a Player: The GM has posted OR another player has done something requiring a response from me.

In practice, that usually turns out to be 3x/week or slower, which is just fine with me. Anything faster than that becomes too burdensome on my time. If a pace stays faster than 2x/week for a month or more I almost always wind up dropping.

I think the hard part is coming up with a balance that works for you. Not everyone is built the same way, and can't do the exact same things for enjoyment. First and foremost, this is a game meant to be played for fun. If the game no longer is fun, then it is time to quit, unless you can talk to your fellow gamers and gm, and come up with ways to improve the game. Sometimes that is hard, when the fun is slipping for one person, they end up ghosting, usually, because they think the others are having fun and don't want to ruin it for them. Other times people ghost, from personal experience, is when RL gets busy enough they don't have any braincells left and they think, "in five minutes I will make that post." then five minutes later they keep pushing it off and then after awhile it becomes harder to explain what's going on to the gm/fellow players. Posting rate is dependent on someone's capabilities and personality. What works for one, is not going to work for another.

When I GM, which I haven't had the time to do* in the last couple of years, I'd totally prefer for anyone who hits a dry spell and can't post, to just drop me a PM. "Sorry, I'm not feeling your game/RL happened and I'm burnt out. I have to drop. No hard feelings?"

Then I'd simply know to proceed accordingly without waiting. And no promises, but maybe I'd save the PC in some way, and keep it for you if your situation improves!
And yes, no matter the delay or whether you play in other games, no hard feelings would be had.

But I also consider just ghosting to be a rude way of saying "good bye", so the above doesn't apply to ghosts.

*At least, not online. My home group gets to play in my games, but that doesn't require me to type out nearly as much stuff - which is the main time-consumer for me in PbP.
If it wasn't for that, I'd have started a new game tonight...or weeks ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural19 View Post
Posting rate is dependent on someone's capabilities and personality. What works for one, is not going to work for another.
Totally true! This thread is just us sharing our experiences.

Back when I had full access to the site while at work, my biggest problem was the Timezone of other players posting. It doesn't matter if I have access from 8 am to 5 pm EST and can post every weekday if the PC I'm interacting with is run by a lady in Europe and she's not going to log in until 11 pm EST.

And if the GM isn't on the same schedule? Forget about it.

It's because of that, that I typically roll my eyes at the 1/day posting rate that some games want when they advertise.

Good PbP games are like dwarves - slow, and steady. I see it necessary, I suppose, for GM's to post expectations like one post a day, or whatever - simply to establish a rule. Even though, I think any rules like that tend to run fast and loose as time goes on. If the game is fun, and players are active, it'll be obvious - whether or not everyone posts every single day. I'm in a lot of games on this site, and the ones that are most active and survivable do not have daily posts from players. That said, I do believe daily-posting is a good rule of thumb.

I feel like if you have to start enforcing posting rates you are already at risk of losing players. Like @guitarist said, a good game tends to take on a life of its own with its own pulse. Players will keep up because they enjoy the game and have a vested interest. If a player lags, for no good reason anyway, the DM will eventually have to cull the herd and let them go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil_Bottletop View Post
Back when I had full access to the site while at work, my biggest problem was the Timezone of other players posting. It doesn't matter if I have access from 8 am to 5 pm EST and can post every weekday if the PC I'm interacting with is run by a lady in Europe and she's not going to log in until 11 pm EST.

And if the GM isn't on the same schedule? Forget about it.

It's because of that, that I typically roll my eyes at the 1/day posting rate that some games want when they advertise.
Yeah, no. Sorry, but that's not even good as a rule of thumb, IME.

My most active PbP games have invariably been with players scattered across the globe. Australia, USA, Europe (and I think South Korea, for a time) was one combo that has proven to be a winner on another site.
My current fastest game "only" has players from the USA and Europe, spread roughly differently. The two (currently) fastest players are both on a different timezone from the GM.
Current speed: 13 IC posts in the last 24 hours.

IME, what matters is how often everyone checks the site. If I'm checking for replies the morning and the late evening, with a possible post from my phone while going back from work in-between those*, the GM (who is 7-8 hours behind me due to the timezones), shall have an opportunity to reply to that in the morning, afternoon, and early evening. And then I can reply the next morning...which is just a few hours away, due to timezones.

*That's sometimes necessary in negotiations or battles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2145 View Post
I feel like if you have to start enforcing posting rates you are already at risk of losing players. Like @guitarist said, a good game tends to take on a life of its own with its own pulse. Players will keep up because they enjoy the game and have a vested interest. If a player lags, for no good reason anyway, the DM will eventually have to cull the herd and let them go.
...maybe I'm not seeing this, or not getting your point. But how is that different from enforcing posting rates?