GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

How to make Pre-Game IC threads work well?

I do confess that I think it would be interesting to see a pre-game IC that precedes the actual application process. Perhaps the DM could line up story-related characters on a list and each applicant chooses from said list, then enters a role-play scenario. In this case I would still recommend at the very least splitting large pools of applicants into a group.

I envision something like a multi-party dungeon where each party is performing a part of a greater task. I believe Pathfinder has something like that that they use for Society play. If I remember correctly there was one in particular where multiple groups participated (in separate tables) with defending a city from attack, and whether or not they were successful depended on each group's ability to accomplish their said task. That'd be pretty cool.

Anyway, off on a tangent.

That seems like something more interesting, though again I feel like it would be a lot for one GM to handle. Maybe get other GMs to assist temporarily? Then after such and such has happened, you pick X amount of players and let them form the basis for your pool of applicants, then just go through everything else like normal.

This is, of course, just an example. One on one seems extremely tedious to me. I don't think anyone--especially me!--has the time to respond to 20+ people's individual role-play, even if one were to split them up over the course of a week. It's just crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenborn View Post
I don't think anyone--especially me!--has the time to respond to 20+ people's individual role-play, even if one were to split them up over the course of a week. It's just crazy.
That's a pretty good point, I think. I'm glad I asked.

The Black Lotus is a magical narcotic flower whose fumes induce visions and extra-sensory perception while the user lies in a catatonic state. My sword&sorcery game is going to begin with all the player characters getting drugged in some way decided by each player, and then waking up at the bottom of a gladiator pit, about to face man-eating beasts. If I decide to offer pre-game roleplay, I might ask all the potential players to share their characters' hallucinations and allow them communicate telepathically with one another through the magic of the Black Lotus. The pre-game roleplay could provide creative exercise some players would enjoy, but since it is all within an intoxicated dream-state, of course a lot of it will not make any sense later. When the pre-game roleplay ends, the characters will awaken, meeting each other as strangers, and then must prepare immediately to battle the creatures that shall be unleashed upon them for the entertainment of the crowds above. Later, a couple of surviving player characters may of course come to realize that they both shared the exact same hallucinations and recognize that they had spoken to one another through the lotus-dream: an opportunity for some interesting dialogue between players maybe.