Rise of Skywalker - Page 8 - Myth-Weavers

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Rise of Skywalker

I'm not sure anyone knew what Rogue One would be about until they printed the final cut of the movie. It went through several writers and directors, and had substantial reshoots; virtually everything from the original trailer was absent or substantially changed in the final release.

The space battle in Rogue One was one of its high points. An actual Rogue Squadron movie might have been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreytari View Post
I think this is the crux of what annoys me about the new movies. Too often they have decided for no particularly good reason to throw out rules with space travel and force use established by the previous movies for no particularly good reason.
Eh... the bombers annoyed me a lot, too, but honestly space battles in Star Wars have never made a lot of sense. It's science-fantasy, not hard sci-fi. The mega-death-star was also pretty ridiculous - I find it a little implausible that the New Order could build this even-bigger thing so quickly and entirely in secret when they're meant to be weaker than the original Empire, but also they fire it and then all these planets get destroyed... what? Where was the bit where they had to wait 200 years for the giant energy bolts to cross the gulf of space?
Quote:
... why wouldn't space warfare be entirely based around flinging giant pieces of metal at the speed of light at other ships?
That question stands in regard to all the films. I don't think there's really a "realistic" space battle in the whole franchise. That's not really the draw of watching Star Wars for me, though.
Quote:
Han Solo isn't a terrible movie, but it felt needless to be a Star Wars movie. Like, people would've loved a good Space Western Heist movie, but in the end it felt like the Star Wars aspect, and them trying to shoe horn it into the Universe they are creating made it a worse movie.
Eh, I dunno... part of me thinks that the universe (well, galaxy) is so big, and so varied, that having a film totally devoid of jedi and The Force might be a nice change of pace. Yes, they pretty much define the first films, but actually they're a vanishingly small minority of what goes on in that setting (albeit a disproportionately significant one). Honestly though I'm not expecting great things from Solo, but if I get change to watch it sometime, I will.

Solo really isn't that bad. It has some of the expected prequel problems in that they needed to shoehorn in specific bits that have been referenced elsewhere as part of Han's history. I'm not sure they always did that as well as they could have. They made some choices I wouldn't have with Han, but they aren't really bad (nothing rises to the level of having Greedo shoot first) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Eh, I dunno... part of me thinks that the universe (well, galaxy) is so big, and so varied, that having a film totally devoid of jedi and The Force might be a nice change of pace. Yes, they pretty much define the first films, but actually they're a vanishingly small minority of what goes on in that setting (albeit a disproportionately significant one). Honestly though I'm not expecting great things from Solo, but if I get change to watch it sometime, I will.
Solo’s not amazing, but it’s not terrible either, at least not for me. It’s a decent action-adventure romp, nothing more, but also nothing else. It has some bits that made me groan a bit, but they’re specific bits, not pervasive flaws with the whole film. Alden Ehrenreich is genuinely winning as Han, and I think it’s a tremendous shame that we’re not going to get more of Donald Glover as Lando.

Obviously, it didn’t do well, but there can be lots of reasons for that. One factor (note: one) is very likely that it was released in the summer, so that it had only been a few months after the last film. That was probably oversaturating the market for Star Wars films. And that was, obviously, the summer of Avengers: Infinity War — from a marketing perspective, that’s a lot of noise to get through to build anticipation for another film. People may just not have been interested in seeing a Han Solo prequel as a concept. And so on.

From a color-palette point of view, it’s maybe a bit grey and washed-out. Less of a problem in the actual film than in the trailers, maybe - those did look a little dark.