Hey there. - Myth-Weavers

Introductions

Newcomers, don't be shy, come and introduce yourself! Our members will be delighted to bring you into the fold.

Hey there.

Hey there.

Originally, I had created this account to use MW to host PbP for my gaming group after months of scheduling issues preventing us from getting together. It didn't work out. We'll be back to having in-person sessions eventually, but since I've already made that tiny leap of creating an account I figured it wouldn't hurt to see if I can get my RPG fix from the community here. At the moment I'm mostly interested in spectating games and playing in newbie-friendly ones. I want to get a good feel for the culture here, learn the posting tricks and norms, get acclimated before committing to GMing or playing in a more serious game, you know?

That said, I prefer playing light-hearted, absurd games anyways. Awakened ferret wizards? Chicken-obsessed gnolls? Deckers that hack by playing a sick riff on a key-tar? Yes, please.

I am most acquainted with Shadowrun 5th Edition as a GM and Pathfinder as a player. I've also GMed for All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Toon RPG, Paranoia Red Clearance, and a teensy bit of Mongoose Traveller. Aside from Pathfinder, I've played a little nWoD, DnD 3.5, aaaannnddd... nothing else comes to mind, dang.

Other games that I have the books for but can't convince my group to play: World Tree, Shard, Camp Myth, STALKER, Kobolds Ate My Baby!, GURPS 4th (Discworld), and Burning Wheel.

I'm mostly listing off these games in the hopes that someone who reads this will be all, "Oh man, I recognize [that game], in fact, I want to run [that game]. I should totally message and/or invite this person to my [that game] beginner's game!" Wishful thinking.

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask me whatever you'd like. I look forward to contributing however I can.

Now I haven't played most of those... But I do recognize most of the systems having seen them come up on the Weave a few times. Some of the lesser known systems can take a bit to get enough players (I run Stars Without Number and Planet Mercenary, as my niche examples), but often the fan bases are more hardcore and you get fewer player/GM drops.

So welcome! The New to Play by Post thread is a good place to start as far as some of the post fundamentals. Plenty of people don't mind either if you apply to games as a reader after hitting them up via PM just to see how things work.

We also have a Discord, if that's your thing, link here. Hope to see you around the Weave!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
Now I haven't played most of those... But I do recognize most of the systems having seen them come up on the Weave a few times. Some of the lesser known systems can take a bit to get enough players (I run Stars Without Number and Planet Mercenary, as my niche examples), but often the fan bases are more hardcore and you get fewer player/GM drops.

So welcome! The New to Play by Post thread is a good place to start as far as some of the post fundamentals. Plenty of people don't mind either if you apply to games as a reader after hitting them up via PM just to see how things work.

We also have a Discord, if that's your thing, link here. Hope to see you around the Weave!
Thank you. That's a good point about the more obscure systems having less drops; I hadn't considered that. How long does it take for a niche game to go from seeking players to playing in your experience? Are there any people you recommend I look into contacting?

@Fervus Posting a discussion in Gaming Discussion to find others who enjoy a system you like is a good way to start finding people.

If you're looking to GM, posting in the Game Planning sub-forum can help find who wants to play in such a game prior to the ad, shortening the application cycle.

Welcome aboard, @Fervus! I too recognize those games, but haven't played many of them.

If you are new to PBP, I'd suggest not jumping straight into GMing. There are some idiosyncrasies of PBP that you should be aware of and get used to before jumping into the realm of GMing. If you want to spectate, the best way to do so is to find a game you would like to watch, PM the GM and ask if they would mind if you read along. The GM can add you as a reader, so you get notified when the game progresses.

Game Planning, as Colin mentioned, is a perfect area to talk about off-systems that people may or may not be inetrested in. I've found some of my favorite systems by haunting that forum, asking myself "What is [insert system name here]?", and then diving down the Google rabbit hole...

As always, get out there. Talk about stuff you know about. Ask about stuff you don't know about. Talk to people outside of games. Check out our Discord server. Have fun!