Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Quick questions and answers

Pathfinder -

When prerequisites say 'ranks' does this mean level? Ie - If it say Rank 6 in a skill, do I need to be level 6 because I took 6 actual ranks in that, or do I only need to be level 3 and for it to be a class skill cause you get +3 ranks for free?

Actual ranks. The maximum ranks you can put in a skill is your level. Whether it's a class skill or not doesn't affect this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedronai View Post
In Pathfinder via Dreamscarred Press' Path of War: Deadly Agility
I like the look of Deadly Agility, but it looks like it's third party. Fencing Grace would be really cool for my bard.

Pathfinder:

If there's a really basic piece of equipment I want but it's not in a book how should I go about making that work?
Is there a formula for paying a craftsman to make something based on the various components and putting it together?

Basically I just want to make one of those little metal containers with a handle that has a squeeze on it and you burn stuff inside it and when I squeeze the trigger from the handle it spits out little puffs of smoke. Just a really basic tool for helping me deal with bees etc.

Already got an Areana Silk tunic for a basic piercing DR suit and some apprentice cheaters gloves for unlimited mage hand and Prest.

This is a 3.5 D&D question. Would it be reasonable ( and does anyone else do this) to extend the bonuses for Rangers and their Favored enemies to include all applicable skills? Specifically what I mean is. The bonuses you get as a base are +2 on Bluff, listen, sense motive, spot, and survival. plus getting a +2 on attack rolls. but these bonuses seem a bit limited when a lot of other skills would use knowledge that the ranger has about the enemy.

Take my Berlios for instance. He's a ranger who was raised by a Wyvern hunting father in a dragon prolific area and was also taught by a half copper dragon and a half bronze dragon and went often to a shrine to visit with the copper dragon there and this was all just growing up. Long before he became a ranger his favored 'enemy' was dragon and anything associated with dragons. so it would stand to reason that he's know how to be diplomatic with a dragon and he'd know how to handle dragon types like Wyverns (since that was what he grew up being taught) and he'd know how to Heal them more efficiently as well. in the same token I could concede it would depend on what the character had access to while learning. So like int he Case of Berlios he'd have all bonuses (standard and extended) for Wyverns, Copper and bronze dragons, copper and bronze half dragons because they were the ones he had the most access too, but he'd only have the standard bonuses on something like a silver dragon or a white dragon or a drakkensteed until he took the time to learn more about them.

Mechanically, I see no issue.

Flavor-wise, the ability is called Favored Enemy. You know enough about them to find and kill them, including tracking them (Survival bonus), detecting them if they hide (Listen and Spot), knowing their tells and hkw to deceive them (bluff and sense motive), and knowing how they defend themselves (attack rolls). The ability is unambiguously antagonistic, and stuff like Diplomacy and Heal don't fit that.

Stuff like what you're envisioning is better represented in your feat choice. Skill Focus (Diplomacy or Heal or whatever) and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothmar View Post
Pathfinder:

If there's a really basic piece of equipment I want but it's not in a book how should I go about making that work?
Is there a formula for paying a craftsman to make something based on the various components and putting it together?

Basically I just want to make one of those little metal containers with a handle that has a squeeze on it and you burn stuff inside it and when I squeeze the trigger from the handle it spits out little puffs of smoke. Just a really basic tool for helping me deal with bees etc.

Already got an Areana Silk tunic for a basic piercing DR suit and some apprentice cheaters gloves for unlimited mage hand and Prest.
Can't find a price for a smoke pot (the name of the tool you are looking for), but since it's a Tool I would price it the same as an Artisan's tool or a censor.

As for your choice of clothing, if it's just so you can do some beekeeping why not just get a swarm suit? It's got better DR but it only specifically applies to damage from swarms and has a MUCH lower price.

RG- Huh didn't know they actually had those, i'll take a look.

---

Pathfinder -

Warden http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...etypes/warden/ doesn't innately give me the ability to track in urban settings through live in comfort if I have it as a favored terrain right? It only gives the 'get food and water' component correct? Otherewise I would need 'Urban forager' feat to track...

Also if im foraging in an urban setting to provide for people, is this mostly assuming like 'Hey I took a pie of a window sill here, a pick-nick basket there, etc' and im actually a thief? Or is it more like 'Ah the tavern throws out its old bread after closing.' or 'Many people overlook pigeons and squirrels.' ? Or is it like the first but I know how to grift and mooch etc so it's all 'given' instead of taken? Or is it some combination of all of the above and I should tell the gm what kind of activities im excluding cause of my morals etc?

---
Are planting seeds a commodity with a purchase price im just missing? Granted sure I doubt they intended for a game of adventure to involve someone farming, but i've kind of built a johnny appleseed kind of character and sure after game starts I can just start collecting stuff from fruits and vegetables but having a few pouches of seeds I can just plant with when we're waiting around or camping etc feels right to me.

---