Needing Critique and Advice for a Sketch (WIP) - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Creative Corner

Post your creative works here and show off your talent!

Needing Critique and Advice for a Sketch (WIP)

Alright! Here is the new color version of it. Having a son in elementary school means I have access to a lot of coloring pencils, so that is what I'm using instead of ink, for now.

I'm not satisfied with the coloration. It looks like clip art to me. I figure his skin should be greenish with undertones of yellow. But the color is too flat, and the greens and yellows aren't blending well. Is that just a weakness of coloring pencils, or is there a technique I should be using that will blend the colors better and make the drawing look more life like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
I've never had an art class before (except for the ones in elementary school where you make macaroni faces), so I never really got the grasp of perspective lines on organic things. Buildings and cityscapes are easy enough, but for some reason, all the lines turn blurry with people and animals.
Faces are super-hard! Up until not all that long ago, I'd considered myself decent at drawing (at least as far as school art class went) but never did faces; objects and building are so much easier. I think that part of the reason is that faces are generally all curved and stuff, so they're already harder shapes than cubes and boxy houses. Mostly though I think that faces are quite deceptive. I assert (albeit with little direct evidence) that humans don't actually "see" the face, we probably pick up subconsciously on a few key features and then trick our conscious minds into believing that we actually know what someone looks like. I always find trying to picture someone from memory, even someone I know well, really hard - let alone draw them! - even though I recognise people I hardly know right away. As a result, getting a face just a little bit wrong can make it look nothing like the person it's meant to be in ways which aren't immediately obvious - yet a good cartoon artist can draw a caricature of someone which is instantly recognisable despite being ridiculously distorted.

But anyway, yeah, faces in general are super-hard. The amount of improvement on this guy even just on take two is actually pretty impressive - just put those two side by side next to each other and a lot of the problems with the first one suddenly stand out quite starkly by comparison (by which I mean the second is pretty good).
Quote:
Originally Posted by inexorabletruth View Post
I'm not satisfied with the coloration. It looks like clip art to me. I figure his skin should be greenish with undertones of yellow. But the color is too flat, and the greens and yellows aren't blending well. Is that just a weakness of coloring pencils, or is there a technique I should be using that will blend the colors better and make the drawing look more life like?
I think it looks OK, except for the yellow lines - they stick out too much IMO.

Colouring pencils aren't exactly great for this and, yeah, your colouring is maybe a tad flat. The thing I've found from trying to do faces is that it's basically all shading. The first ones I drew were all lines and a little bit of shadow here and there. Based on some advice from a book I tried much heavier shading and it makes a massive difference. I would say don't be afraid to make the dark bits way darker - again, the face is just a shape, and it's going to have corresponding shadows. Also the face casts shadows onto itself, from the nose and stuff and even under the eyes (don't make him look all haggard like he hasn't slept in a month, but the eyeballs do cast shadows and so you'd expect a little shading on the lower lids, etc).

If you're working off a photo, one trick I've read is to squint at it, as the light and dark areas become more obvious then. I've one-upped that by greyscaling it on my computer and upping the contrast so it's really obvious - human eyes can be tricked such that two things which are the same colour look different, etc (see: any number of optical illusions, that dumb "is it blue or white?" dress thing, etc). You're not working off a photo, but it might be worth finding one that's even just a little bit like the pose you're drawing purely so you can see how the shadows fall on a real-life example (even if they're not the same as you want them in the picture, they may give you more of an idea).

P.S. As you can probably guess, I'm totally not an expert - but I did find that helped me, a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Colouring pencils aren't exactly great for this and, yeah, your colouring is maybe a tad flat. The thing I've found from trying to do faces is that it's basically all shading. The first ones I drew were all lines and a little bit of shadow here and there. Based on some advice from a book I tried much heavier shading and it makes a massive difference. I would say don't be afraid to make the dark bits way darker - again, the face is just a shape, and it's going to have corresponding shadows. Also the face casts shadows onto itself, from the nose and stuff and even under the eyes (don't make him look all haggard like he hasn't slept in a month, but the eyeballs do cast shadows and so you'd expect a little shading on the lower lids, etc).

If you're working off a photo, one trick I've read is to squint at it, as the light and dark areas become more obvious then. I've one-upped that by greyscaling it on my computer and upping the contrast so it's really obvious - human eyes can be tricked such that two things which are the same colour look different, etc (see: any number of optical illusions, that dumb "is it blue or white?" dress thing, etc). You're not working off a photo, but it might be worth finding one that's even just a little bit like the pose you're drawing purely so you can see how the shadows fall on a real-life example (even if they're not the same as you want them in the picture, they may give you more of an idea).

P.S. As you can probably guess, I'm totally not an expert - but I did find that helped me, a bit.
That sounds like a pretty good idea! I haven't had time to work on it the last few days, but when I get some time, I'll try that out.