Aelsif Conlangs: Aeldyan

One of the things that can be incredibly time-consuming when designing a fantasy world is building constructed languages or conlangs. It's fun, and it can be rewarding, but I hope it's understood why previously I've tried so hard not to do it. Nonetheless, my game setting does have a couple of conlangs in it, and the foremost of these is Aeldyan. What I need help with is I need to fill out the vocabulary of the language and I wanted to do that with a game. You post a phrase, I'll translate it into Aeldyan and add the words to a list at the bottom of this post. I have about thirty-ish words already, but I'm just going to make the list as we go. Aside from that, if you don't care about the details of the language's structure, you can stop reading now.

Just to clear something up real quick before I explain this language: "Aeldyan" is not actually an Aeldyan word. It's a Borealism, that is to say it's a Boreal word made out of a non-Boreal word. The actual name for their language is properly Aeldydy, which is not nearly so attractive a word.

Aeldyan is a crude, utilitarian subject-verb-object language with adjectives after nouns, comprised entirely out of simple single-syllable words strung together. There are no more complex words and no proper nouns, instead all the apparently complex words are actually compound words, only phrases are separated with a space in Aeldyan so phrases are compound words are interchangeable. The language completely lacks commas, capitalization and end of sentence punctuation and designates where these would be with short phrases at the beginning or end of sentences, and each sentence is on a separate line when written. Okay, that's a mouthful, let's break it all down.

1. Aeldyan is crude and utilitarian. That will explain itself in these other points.

2. Aeldyan is a subject-verb-object language. So is English. Sentences have the subject, then the verb, then the object. The swift fox jumped over the lazy dog. Fox-jump-dog.

3. Adjectives are placed after nouns. In English they're placed before. This is because in Aeldyan there are no proper nouns, so adjectives are often used to specify which (insert here) and that's more useful after the noun. The fox swift jumped over the dog lazy. Fox-swift, dog-lazy. Swift comes after fox so you hear fox first and are already thinking of a fox when you hear swift. Lazy comes after dog so you hear dog first and are already thinking of a dog when you hear lazy.

4. Aeldyan is lacks complex words and instead has compound words. Fox, while a single syllable, is a specific concept and there is no equivalent in Aeldyan. Instead, you'd describe it. It's a mammal, red fur, it gekkers. Mammal-gekker-red. Aeldyans did not specify animals by classes like we do, instead by outward appearance, and tend to list sound first in any list or phrase and always specify the tense of it even when it's part of a word. This makes this really awkward as the phrase for "fox" will vary depending on whether it is a present, past or future fox, and that's just all sorts of awkward.

So if it's present that'd actually be gekkering-animal-furry-red but if it's left your presence it'd be gekkered-animal-furry-red. Except that gekkering, animal and furry are complex as well. Sound gets a lot of attention in Aeldyan and that means it gets broken down a lot, gekkering becomes chirp-and-squeal-fast. All sounds are onomatopoeia in Aeldyan, so chirp is kwi and squeal is eei. And does not exist, it's replaced by a single character visibly similar to an apostraphe when written and the two fragments not being blurred when spoken, this pain in the ass of a system is awkward as all hell for an English speaker, but presumably made perfect sense to them because it does actually work when spoken and the written language was made by contemporary barbarians. So chirp-and-squeal would be pronounced as kwieei and written as kwi'eei. Fast would be woo, which like "whoosh" is also an onomatopoeia.

Now for past tense, think of that as chirped-and-squealed-fast. Past tense in Aeldyan is thankfully not done obnoxiously by attaching a vowel OH GOD DAMMIT, the past tense is Kwieeiwooa. Past tense is done by placing an "a" after a word. Future is done by adding an "a" before a word.

Okay, now we have kwi'eeiwoo, let's make that even longer by adding "animal". Animal would be simple, life and movement. Dy and gr. We have Kwi'eeiwoo'dygr. "Furry" now, so "hair" made into an adjective, which is entirely in emphasis so it's just "hair", or ish (onomotopoeia for brushing). Kwi'eiiwoo'dygr'ish. Red, now. Except it won't be, because there are no colours in Aeldyan and god damn is that going to be a problem because we still need to specify that colour somehow. And that would be with "fire", so "krik" (onomotopoeia for crackling). Kwi'eeiwoo'dygr'ish'krik. Kwi'eeiwoo'dygr'ish'krika if past tense.

Screw it, dygrkrik because "Kwieeiwoodygrishkrik" is a mouthful. It's a red animal, good enough. The problem is that it's not super specific and prone to misinterpretation, which is why gestures and tone are especially vital to Aeldyan. The other problem is that it comes off as extremely dismissive and condescending to simplify something so much, but foxes can't understand them so this is only a problem when speaking about things that can understand you.

5. Only phrases are separated by a space in Aeldyan, meaning that phrases and compound words are interchangeable. Theswiftfox jumpedover thelazydog.

6. The sentence has no commas. Each place you'd put a comma, they'd just end the sentence. Each place you'd put a comma. That place they'd end the sentence.

7. The language has no capitalization or end of sentence punctuation and each sentence is on a different line. There are no periods. There are no question marks? There are no exclamation points!
there are no periods
there are no question marks i ask
alarmingly there are no exclamation points

A few other quirks of the language:

1. "dy" means both "life" and "voice". Which is just weird and surely doesn't mean anything important.

2. The phrase "Aeldya" comes from "eldy" or "our life", with past and future tense. So, "our past and future life". In fact, this is common with things that are seen as eternal or unchanging, like the term of one of their two main deities, "Aeldyshana", which is just "eldyshan" (our life give, "our parent") with past and future tense. Their term for their other main deity, "Aeldymyga", is just eldymyg (our life change, "our teacher" or "our mentor") with past and future tense.

3. Notably, Aeldyan lacks gender, so eldymyg is usually used to denote a shared male parent, so Aeldyshana is their past and future mother and Aeldymyga is their past and future father, but they're both drawn as obviously female so this makes no sense upon initial inspection. Further digging shows that Aeldyan deities are all hermaphrodites and only outwardly appear female, so that actually does make sense and it's just lost in their artwork. This disconnect has lead to some really stupid beliefs about Aeldyan society in the past.

4. Aelsif (our world) is only future tense. So not their world now, but it will be. Disconcerting, if they hadn't given their civilization a nice mushroom pattern over 9,000 years ago. Their remnants kept using the phrase, but it's not like they're going to make a comeback, right?

Overall, it's an incredibly bad written language, which is why Aeldyans never wrote anything. Ever. They had an advanced society ran entirely with spoken word and recordings, and all "Aeldyan" writing is actually other races trying to transcribe their language. Some went so far as to add accents and gesture characters to try and make it more comprehensible when read, but little squiggly marks and stick figures are no substitute for hearing and seeing the speaker. It's also not a very good spoken language, which has made some wonder how they got so far as a society with such a crude language.

It's almost like the language was created by other creatures, that didn't use speech to communicate and had to figure it out as they went. Like the otherworldly horrors from beyond the edges of the world described in their primitive, ancient pagan mythology. But those don't exist, right?

(Out of universe, while a lot of decisions were decided for in-universe reasons, the reason those decisions were made in the first place is I kinda wanted to see if I could make a language even worse than English. I think I succeeded.)

Vocabulary list:
dy (life/voice)
eei (squeal/screech)
el (our)
gr (movement/friction/rub)
ish (brush/hair)
krik (fire/crackle)
kwi (chirp)
myg (change/teach)
shan (give/make)
sif (world/home/planet)
woo (fast)