D&D 5E - Best classes for Athletic fields / Olympiad build - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

D&D 5E - Best classes for Athletic fields / Olympiad build

D&D 5E - Best classes for Athletic fields / Olympiad build

I was contemplating a character whose background would be kind of close to 'folk hero' as a famous athlete in training for upcoming national contests etc in the future of the campaign.

This got me doing things like debating in my head whether Rogue or monk with mobile was the better runner.

ex: Since monk relies on ki points to do their bonus action dashes, that means that in a straight on race with a rogue of the same build (depending on distance) the rogue may win. 50x3=150 compared to 40x3 = 120. But once the monk runs out of gas they drop to 50x2 = 100 and the rogue can keep going 120.

An Eagle totem barbarian is also an option for speed since it would be able to dash as a bonus as well, however it doesn't have disengage as a bonus as well so it's slightly less versatile then monks/rogues meaning it has to use its action to disengage if the situation comes up and then do move/dash as needed. This is on par with the rogue and outpaces them and the monk at 5+ and way outpacing both at 6+ with elk for level 6 aspect for long cross country events.

Sure there's a lot more to think about on such things like constitution checks etc. Heck if we consider cross country races I might even have to consider druid or ranger to help out more with avoiding difficult terrain penalties. Cause sure as long as you start your turn with a dash and then make the rest of the actions movement based with the mobile feat you ignore all difficult terrain penalties, you can probably only do that for so long before you wear yourself out and then the reliable speed of a druid/ranger can catch back up etc.

Thus I decided to open this thread to debate the various merits of classes in different athletic fields.

Notes on the games - spells/magic items are considered unsportmanlike / steroid equivalents. Yeah it might be banable to be caught using them and there's monitoring in place with things like checkpoints and random detect magic officials / scrying but some countries/groups will try all the same. (not sure but if I had to guess magic stuff probably has its own division)

Feel free to detail why a level 4 or under of a particular class (not going into races or other things for now) is the best in a simply mechanical sense in its athletic field.

I'd also greatly appreciate help on figuring out a general class progression for an overall athletic fields build (the one guy that sweeps gold medals across multiple fields effectively).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothmar View Post
ex: Since monk relies on ki points to do their bonus action dashes, that means that in a straight on race with a rogue of the same build (depending on distance) the rogue may win. 50x3=150 compared to 40x3 = 120. But once the monk runs out of gas they drop to 50x2 = 100 and the rogue can keep going 120.
This kind of thing is why proplr have races on different distances.

Monks are better sprinters, but Rogues are better long-distance runners.
But for marathons you may want someone proficient in Con saves.