Do You Use The Same Character Name In Different RPG Systems - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Do You Use The Same Character Name In Different RPG Systems

I try to use unique names usually based on historical figures and such

In general I don't see a reason to bar names from systems just because I used them in some other system. In fact I actually used the same name in two systems once because the GM wanted to switch systems but keep the characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drome View Post
In general I don't see a reason to bar names from systems just because I used them in some other system. In fact I actually used the same name in two systems once because the GM wanted to switch systems but keep the characters.
Well, we recently did the same. But in this case, I think the system change is irrelevant, since it's meant to be the same character.

It is hard to think of a name. So sometimes I use the same name but background and personality differs.

Names generally go with the character for me so if I'm re-using an old character or, I suppose (though I rarely do it), reworking a character for another system, they'd keep the same name. A new character would get a new name.

I think there are always names I'm drawn to, but as with when I'm writing, I tend to try and get a feel for the setting in question where possible, and find inspiration for a name in that.

I've ported characters from system to system, and their names (and everything of substance about them) stays the same when they're ported.

I don't think I've ever re-used a name across multiple characters, though. There's always more names =)

If a name gets used for a particularly memorable game, I'll retire it. For example, I had an inquisitor in a Dark Heresy/Deathwatch game that just wrote himself. I won't use that name again for anything - probably ever.

I've definitely done the porting thing, especially with supers. Sometimes the details change based on the universe of the game or my need to tinker with something that I found substandard. Occasionally I reuse a name of a character than either never actually got played or was in a game that died far too quick. In that case, it's entirely possible that nothing other than the name (and probably race and gender) are the same.