I'm Thinking Of Playing My First Vampire: The Masquerade Game - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

I'm Thinking Of Playing My First Vampire: The Masquerade Game

I'm Thinking Of Playing My First Vampire: The Masquerade Game

Hello everybody. I'm thinking of playing a different RPG that isn't D&D and Pathfinder. I thought about playing my very first Vampire: The Masquerade game and I just started making my character sheet. The game looks very good and edgy. And this is the type of game for me. I just need to know where to start with this game. Know the basics and rules for this game.

Like all games there's two ways to handle it. Either create a central problem or antagonist for your party to push against and let the players rail against that, or you create a wide world of NPCs looking for help with their agendas and see where the PCs naturally gravitate towards.

General premises of Vampire:
1. you are a young (less than 10 years) vampire
2. obey the rules (generally of the Camarilla)
3. determine early if you are going to embrace the darkness (lowering Humanity) or seek Enlightenment (Golconda)
4. don't neglect your physical attributes and melee skills; even if you don't plan to kill (diabolize) other vampires, they will hunt you (along with werewolves and vampire hunters). Maximised social skills don't help you if someone rips your head off.

The rest at this stage is just working through the character creation in the rulebook.

Ok I'm playing a young Vampire who's all brawn with little to no brain. How can I be very successful with that concept?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
Hello everybody. I'm thinking of playing a different RPG that isn't D&D and Pathfinder. I thought about playing my very first Vampire: The Masquerade game and I just started making my character sheet. The game looks very good and edgy. And this is the type of game for me. I just need to know where to start with this game. Know the basics and rules for this game.
Which edition?

It seems that the Humble Bundle with Revised books has sparked a little extra interest. To be honest, I miss the Secondary Abilities from 2nd & Revised (3rd) edition.

V20 (20th Anniversary & de-facto 4th edition) has been around for 7 years and is still the go-to for almost everyone.

V5 is the new version. I would relate it to D&D 4th Edition in how much it changes and how it's being received.

Quote:
Ok I'm playing a young Vampire who's all brawn with little to no brain. How can I be very successful with that concept?
A huge part of the fanbase admires the game for its social nature and how it handle political intrigue. The term "superhero with fangs" has been used in a derogatory sense for pure combat games. But then again, one of the earliest books was a dungeon crawl.

There shouldn't be a wrong way to play Vampire.

Your all brawn character would have room as an enforcer. The bodyguard/muscle of the coterie, cleanup crew, friend or nemesis in a blood hunt, strength during a Sabbat raid, things like that.

Re-read the traditions, especially the shortened plain language versions. That's the first step in keeping your character alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAndrewJ View Post
Which edition?

It seems that the Humble Bundle with Revised books has sparked a little extra interest. To be honest, I miss the Secondary Abilities from 2nd & Revised (3rd) edition.

V20 (20th Anniversary & de-facto 4th edition) has been around for 7 years and is still the go-to for almost everyone.

V5 is the new version. I would relate it to D&D 4th Edition in how much it changes and how it's being received.

A huge part of the fanbase admires the game for its social nature and how it handle political intrigue. The term "superhero with fangs" has been used in a derogatory sense for pure combat games. But then again, one of the earliest books was a dungeon crawl.

There shouldn't be a wrong way to play Vampire.

Your all brawn character would have room as an enforcer. The bodyguard/muscle of the coterie, cleanup crew, friend or nemesis in a blood hunt, strength during a Sabbat raid, things like that.

Re-read the traditions, especially the shortened plain language versions. That's the first step in keeping your character alive.
I'm playing the first edition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
Background: Generation 1-2 (various reasons for an enforcer)

Put a few pips into the various support skills (drive, larceny, technology, investigate, stealth, streetwise). Backstory as a car thief or burglar feeds the concept a bit.

Clan: Gangrel would probably be your 'default' choice; a couple of others would make for more variation and forward plot hooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernskies View Post
Background: Generation 1-2 (various reasons for an enforcer)

Put a few pips into the various support skills (drive, larceny, technology, investigate, stealth, streetwise). Backstory as a car thief or burglar feeds the concept a bit.

Clan: Gangrel would probably be your 'default' choice; a couple of others would make for more variation and forward plot hooks.
I actually choose Brujah as my clan choice.

Brujah is a very common choice for brawler types who don't want to do a lot of politics.

In the absence of RP-based conceptual stuff it's kinda hard to say: there's no reason a bruiser/enforce type wouldn't work but alot of what's viable in a given chronicle depends on the Storyteller running it. If he's wanting politics in the Elysium while you're smashing heads in bars there's gonna be a mismatch, y'know?

That caveat said: mechanics wise, depending on the edition* it might be worth it - even as a brujah - to spend some freebie points on the Protean discipline. If you're a melee based brawler you're going to want
*I think this might have been rebalanced to Protean 3 in V20, not sure. As of Revised it was only a level two power, tho.
Protean 2 - Feral Claws. It'll let your unarmed strikes do aggravated damage which, when combined with maxed out physical stats and potence makes you scary.

Something you might also want to do is to talk to your Storyteller about how he's going to be
How strict, how lenient, etc.
enforcing humanity loss and the like - depending on how the ST enforces it the level of violence your bruiser can bring to bear to solve problems without sliding fast down the empathy ladder to Humanity 0 will change. Your Humanity score factors into lots of small widgets in the game so it's something to be mindful of and violence-prone characters - especially ones prone to frenzy - are more likely to go into a HL tailspin by
If the goal is to embrace the monster within, more power to you but if your goal is to keep some semblance of human ties the whole fact that your PC will have the potential for violence and thereby tend to solve things with violence means things can get away from you rather quickly when you're just doing what you designed your character to do.
accident. Depending on how your ST rolls it could end up feeling punitive without anyone meaning for it to be, so it's important to establish a clear understanding of what risks HL and what doesn't upfront when it comes to the pointy end of things.