Transition from D&D - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Transition from D&D

If you have a say in what system you play, I'd advocate something like Savage Worlds or Dungeon World over Pathfinder any day of the week.

Pathfinder can get very crunch and complicated if you're playing with all the newer / 3rd party content. Steer clear of Path of War

That really depends on what you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Besides, some people prefer the more mechanics-heavy systems.
A lot of people like Path of War, for example. It would hardly make sense to advise them to steer clear of something they enjoy. Personally, I'd just stick with 3.5, but this sort of thing is quite subjective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerritt View Post
I've been playing D&D for 40 years. Most of my experience is AD&D, 3.5, and 5e. I'm always more interested in the role than the mechanics. As I get ready for my first time playing Pathfinder, I'm up for any advice anyone has. Thanks in advance!
Yeah if you're used to 3.5e there's just a little jump.

I've been running/playing 3.5e and Pathfinder mostly from 2000 till now. I prefer it to 5e. I didn't switch in 2014 when 5e came out. It's just my preference

I'm sure there's a chart of the differences online. Just glance at the Core book and you should be good.

As for the modules, I totally agree. I've seen a lot of people convert the Adventure Paths to 5e and use those. I have some of the WotC hardback adventures but haven't really read those a lot. But I like the format of the APs a bit more. The level progress is clearer to me and spelled out in side bars and such.

Yeah going from 3.5 to PF isn't really transitioning from DnD, it's basically the same thing. I've enjoyed PF a lot after years of 3.5, but it's every bit as crunchy, if not more. The good part of learning PF here on the weave is there are always a bunch of games running and a larger pool of players to game with.

From the OP, it seems like you enjoy role play over roll play. Were you looking for suggestions for systems that are not as heavy on crunch and emphasize writing and role play more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
Yeah going from 3.5 to PF isn't really transitioning from DnD, it's basically the same thing. I've enjoyed PF a lot after years of 3.5, but it's every bit as crunchy, if not more. The good part of learning PF here on the weave is there are always a bunch of games running and a larger pool of players to game with.

From the OP, it seems like you enjoy role play over roll play. Were you looking for suggestions for systems that are not as heavy on crunch and emphasize writing and role play more?
I doubt that would be the case. The OP said "getting ready for my first game of PF", to me that sounds like he's playing what somebody else has offered to run.
If he wanted a system that resolves the issues of 3.5, while staying within the d20 paradigm, the answer is easy - play Fantasy Craft or an OSR variant like DCC or Low Fantasy RPG! But assuming he's playing in someone else's game, simple things like "avoid multiclassing and play a caster" are probably what he's looking for.

Lol, doesn’t matter. The OP hasn’t been back to the site since Jan 17th. No point in continuing the discussion