Privatising the Police force - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Privatising the Police force

@ Agricolus
They are not considering privatizing the Police Officers or the work they do (investigating serious and organised crime, firearms operations, anti-terrorism, etc.). They are considering privatizing the Civilian Staff and the work they do (custody, victim support, prison liaison, street patrols, etc.).

Since they've just made a large number of Civilian Staff redundant I imagine that there is now a large pool of experienced individuals which private companies could recruit, should they receive contracts to provide the relevant services. Of course the private companies don't have to offer them the equivalent of their old salaries, pensions, etc. And while some may have taken early retirement and have their pension most were made redundant and only have a redundancy package.

As to how it affects me. I've survived one round of redundancies. But if using private companies becomes widespread they may lay off my entire department. Then I have a choice of new job with a private company, doing my old job on a reduced salary, and losing accrued benefits such as maternity leave, or finding work elsewhere... in a very depressed job market, when my area of expertise isn't exactly relevant outside of law enforcement.

Anarcho-capitalism sounds horrific to me. That said, it could be really interesting for poor communities to be able to pool their limited resources and use external funding to create their own police force. I'm not sure how the influence of criminal organizations and bribery would be stopped in such a situation, but members of poor communities (and particularly urban ones) traditionally don't regard the municipal and state police as working for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlictoatl View Post
I'm not sure how the influence of criminal organizations and bribery would be stopped in such a situation,
It's a problem faced by traditional governments as well though, it's not unique to anarcho-capitalism. The people have to hold whoever they surrender their natural rights to accountable whether it's a King, a democratically elected President, or Lone Star. Giving someone authority over you has the potential to lead to problems in every system of government.

**insert standard disclaimer it's all an intellectual pursuit and not a proposal of actually living under this system**

http://voluntarykaraism.com/wp-conte...m%20(1973).pdf has the PDF of the book (Machinery of Freedom is the title) I'm currently reading. I've only skimmed it in parts but it's certainly some interesting concepts from a libertarian perspective that piques the curiosity. It's something even Ron Paul probably thinks is too radical though, and he'd be right... heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ben View Post
My primary interest in reading about it is because it seems like a nice place to have an eclipse phase game! Nice little anarcho-capitalist orbital colony offers a ton of plots. But with the topic on England privatizing a few of their police services I figured I'd share.
There is one. We call it Extropia. Personally, I like Titan better.

Thanks, sounds like a place full of plot hooks. About what I imagined while reading that book. I know very little about Eclipse Phase but futuristic games like that are interesting to me. Doubly so because They really took the time in the game, from what little I read, to explore the various ways humanity would be both good and bad.

"To me the patrol function is the one I wince at. Oh look, someone breaking the law, wait it's c corporate officer, don't call it in. Afternoon sir, need help moving the body? And while i have your ear, I was wondering about a raise."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
Wake me up when we have motorcycles with ceramic double-rotor two-wheel disk drives, street samurai, decent AI, and common augmented reality .
Ceramic Double-Rotor two-wheel disk drive, Street Samurai, decent AI and may I introduce... the internet?

Also... the future

Aside from that... this is both frightening and economically pleasing.

A lot of those things are still in the "prototype" stage, though. In cyberpunk, most of what's been listed - plus more - is pretty standard.

(And when I said "augmented reality", I had HUDs in mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azar View Post
(And when I said "augmented reality", I had HUDs in mind).
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/23/te...y-android.html

Quote:
That’s because later this year, Google is expected to start selling eyeglasses that will project information, entertainment and, this being a Google product, advertisements onto the lenses. The glasses are not being designed to be worn constantly — although Google engineers expect some users will wear them a lot — but will be more like smartphones, used when needed, with the lenses serving as a kind of see-through computer monitor.