Working within Greyhawk - Page 2 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Working within Greyhawk

Does anyone know where I can find a good map of Thalios? I want to run a campaign from there, and none of the other links seem to have it. Is there a setting module I need to buy, or is that all legally free now?

And if so, where? My google-fu is weak today.

So far, I have found this. Be warned, the language is a bit harsh for those who are sensitive to vulgarities.

In spite of it's coarse narrative, it seems to be the only resource I can find on the subject, and I am not clear whether or not it is canon. Furthermore, there isn't much information to go on.

Looking at this map here, I'd have to say it's fertile at least. But I do not know if it is populated or wild, hilly or flat, isolated or integrated... or anything. Are there any settlements there? Cities? Ports? Do rivers run through it? It's part of the Sundered Empire, correct or no?

I want something remote for my campaign, but not utterly forgotten. Maybe I could use a map with cities to determine where some well built ruins might be. But I'm beginning to wonder if Thalios is maybe too remote.

I'm looking for some lore in Thalos. Does anyone know some references or resources to the following cities?
Devendil, Kithrel, Willingby, and Morthalon.

That's some ancient stuffs...Thalos was basically the setting for the chainmail setting before they moved on to Greyhawk. Chainmail was just an excuse for mass combat...so you can imagine the lore isn't the greatest part of it.

But anyway if you really want to read up on Thalos...some old dragon magazines bothered to summarize and talk about chainmail campaign setting with armies of Thalos , issue 287, p. 88.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Emerald View Post
That's some ancient stuffs...Thalos was basically the setting for the chainmail setting before they moved on to Greyhawk. Chainmail was just an excuse for mass combat...so you can imagine the lore isn't the greatest part of it.

But anyway if you really want to read up on Thalos...some old dragon magazines bothered to summarize and talk about chainmail campaign setting with armies of Thalos , issue 287, p. 88.
That's where I started, and it's taken me this far. I've been rooting through #287. I'm missing a lot of pages from the magazine, unfortunately, but pages 88 and 89 are still intact enough to read. I'm lucky that my local library seems to have a collection of the dragon mags for some reason, so I could check there for extended resources. I've gathered from #287 that Thalos is divided by tribe, so the campaign that I'm building is set in Strongbow, as you may have guessed from the cities I've listed. I found an amazing map from Greyhawk Grognard that really fleshes out the setting geographically. He drew the line at lore gathering though. So, I'm left hanging with these cities listed and not even a whiff of lore to work with.

There isn't really more to it, I'm afraid. Thalos was basically ignored most of Greyhawk history...after Gygax left chainmail. You might be able to find tidbits here and there, if you read up on Thalos children history/lore (Heironeous, Hextor etc...) but most of those pieces barely ever mention their mother either.

Ok, then. Thank you for your help. I figured I'd have to create some of my own lore, but I wanted to ground it as deeply in existing lore as possible.

It looks like this must be the last outpost of official material. So I'll start building here.