How Many House Rules Are You Willing to Read? - Page 4 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

How Many House Rules Are You Willing to Read?

View Poll Results
How much house rules text are you willing to read before deciding on applying?
Anything beyond a single character guideline post and I'm not reading it. 6 7.23%
A list of changes, and maybe one or two major new rules with full explanation. 33 39.76%
Up to half an hour of reading, after that my eyes glaze over. 10 12.05%
I'll read through as much as you can write, as long as it's well formatted and stays interesting. 31 37.35%
I wouldn't be interested in this at all, I just like responding to polls. 3 3.61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoot View Post
My strong advice is to recruit the players you like and trust that enjoy role playing over their superpower build. Get your group together then discuss with them openly the House Rules you want to make.
If I had a group of players that I liked, trusted, and enjoyed roleplaying with, I wouldn't have needed to ask the question publicly. I would have just asked them.

Regardless, I'm putting this plan on hold due to the fact that I seem unable to find a game to be a player in, and I know that if I'm not also playing, I'll end up losing interest in coming to this site. If I get into a few games (and those games last through the first encounter), maybe I'll come back to it.

Quote:
Lol Fred, almost as bad as people who have no idea how argumentative they can be, no matter how intelligent and articulate they are
This isn't really the place for that discussion.

The relevant part is that a large number of houserules is likely to cause more discussion and debate with (prospective or current) players. Some have said that they are more likely to go with houserules which they find sensible - but even bearing in mind that people may disagree with you, explaining (or being willing to explain) the reasoning behind them is, I think, a good piece of advice; people are going to be more willing to try to grok a bunch of stuff if they can understand why.

Of course, just having good and clear houserules helps. Stupid houserules are likely to get people arguing about them and unclear ones are liable to cause just as much confusion (which an impatient DM might construe as argumentation). That's a little bit more subjective, though (not in all cases, but in many).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactuarJedi View Post
If I had a group of players that I liked, trusted, and enjoyed roleplaying with, I wouldn't have needed to ask the question publicly. I would have just asked them.

Regardless, I'm putting this plan on hold due to the fact that I seem unable to find a game to be a player in, and I know that if I'm not also playing, I'll end up losing interest in coming to this site. If I get into a few games (and those games last through the first encounter), maybe I'll come back to it.
I see in your profile that you’ve been on MW for a year with 900 posts. That’s not a ton of activity for a year but not getting in many games certainly explains that. Have you asked for feedback from the gm’s that have not accepted you? There are tons of tips here on the site and in the Weaving Myths podcasts that can help you. Heck, just asking for advice from other played can go a long way. Get involved in the setting the GM has set up, ask questions and make your backstory reflect that you listened to his/her game ad. If all else fails I recommend to all the new players here to play a cleric because everyone wants one in the party but few players want to play them. Anyway, wish you the best of luck. If I can help with anything shoot me a PM

I think the basic thinking behind all houserules should be explained. Not necessarily in detail, just just stuff like "this set of rules is intended to streamline play", "The rules in this section are intended to combat power creep." Or eliminate uninteresting feats, or make melee characters better, or whatever. The idea is, if you can't articulate the point of a houserule, it's probably not needed.

Quote:
I see in your profile that you’ve been on MW for a year with 900 posts. That’s not a ton of activity for a year but not getting in many games certainly explains that. Have you asked for feedback from the gm’s that have not accepted you? There are tons of tips here on the site and in the Weaving Myths podcasts that can help you. Heck, just asking for advice from other played can go a long way. Get involved in the setting the GM has set up, ask questions and make your backstory reflect that you listened to his/her game ad. If all else fails I recommend to all the new players here to play a cleric because everyone wants one in the party but few players want to play them. Anyway, wish you the best of luck. If I can help with anything shoot me a PM
You misunderstand my problem. I have gotten accepted into several games that have promptly died because the GM vanished, often before the first in-character post is made. I also had a long ~7-8 month period where I wasn't coming to the site; I only returned a few weeks ago.

So I am not looking for advice on getting into games. I do well enough. If you have any advice for compelling GMs who accept me to keep showing up and posting in their games, however, I'm all ears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactuarJedi View Post
You misunderstand my problem. I have gotten accepted into several games that have promptly died because the GM vanished, often before the first in-character post is made. I also had a long ~7-8 month period where I wasn't coming to the site; I only returned a few weeks ago.

So I am not looking for advice on getting into games. I do well enough. If you have any advice for compelling GMs who accept me to keep showing up and posting in their games, however, I'm all ears.

Ahh, I see, well yes that is a problem but there are plenty of DMs here that are stable and reliable but there is no doubt that GM ghosting is a problem. There are some ways to sniff some of the bad ones out including researching their profile before applying to their games and letting what you see there help you decide.

For something crunch-heavy like 3.5, I'd say that if you have to make houserules which take over half an hour to go over, you're best off just using another system more often than not. For example, for an epic-level game you could try Mutants & Masterminds or GURPS with the appropiate sets of rules.

For something like an OSR system, half the fun is houseruling anyways.

As for rules-light, I've found that the better "light" systems are the ones that can handle as many scenarios as possible with the fewest amount of rules, so introducing houserules may shift things around enough that you're effectively playing your (system)-inspired homebrew - that's not strictly a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderPressure View Post
For something crunch-heavy like 3.5, I'd say that if you have to make houserules which take over half an hour to go over, you're best off just using another system more often than not. For example, for an epic-level game you could try Mutants & Masterminds or GURPS with the appropiate sets of rules..
People keep saying this, and it's not especially helpful. I don't want to play Mutants & Masterminds, I want to play D&D; I would have to write more house rules to turn M&M into what I want than I would the other way around. This sentiment is only true if there happens to be a system out there that is exactly what I want, which there isn't. I just want the system I know and like to work at high levels a little better than it does.

Most importantly, I would have to spend time converting every monster I want to use from the D&D rules to M&M, which would be enormously time consuming. Because I want to use the specific monsters—the game idea I have is set in an existing D&D setting, and those monsters are an important part of that setting.

Besides, part of the fun for me is to play a game that is powerful relative to the system itself, so that players get to experience the part of the power curve they only get to look at longingly most of the time. The equivalent would be playing M&M at PL19 or so, and that would be riddled with almost as many problems as playing epic 3.5, except they'd be problems I haven't already identified.

I've joined games before where the GM has something like 15-20 pages of house rules. Not so much setting, just rules, and usually bad ones that haven't really been playtested or thought through.

I think anything more than a single page of house rules is probably too much.

well, it all depends some GM's I've known used house rules that were game changing, like one game of Shadowrun4 where the threshold for success on a test die was 4 rether than 5... makes success a lot more likely and fast , but also makes armor and protection a lot more important because when NPCs try something, they also tend to be a lot more successful...