US Local politics and policy thread. - Myth-Weavers


Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.


US Local politics and policy thread.

 
US Local politics and policy thread.

Given the insanity that is the US Presidential election, it's easy to forget what else is going on closer to home.

http://go.socialnewsdesk.com/r?p=159...3f02a&sn=15676
Only in Flint, MI do people sue over who picks up the trash.

Now, a bit of background here. The contract the city had with Republic expired at the end of July. Mayor Weaver wanted to switch to Rizzo Environmental Services, which had put in a bid for $2 million less. City council voted to stay with Republic, citing Rizzo's numerous dumping and business violations. Weaver vetoed their 8-1 vote.

I think you meant Rizzo to Weaver, but otherwise, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons1701 View Post
I think you meant Rizzo to Weaver, but otherwise, yeah.
Rizzo, Republic...close enough heh .

I don't have a link but my county in Missouri has a hot Sherriff's race with 4 strong contenders. We have, at last count, 1 Dem, 2 Reps in a primary, and an independent with the most signs in town as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman830 View Post
Not directly. She's childhood friends with one of Rizzo's higher ups.
Crony Capitalism Strikes Again!

I feel like that should be a show that actively seeks to point out such instances and inform the public. Throw people on both sides of the isle under the bus (so as not to be seen as partisan and derided by one group or another for targetting or whatever other excuse they would have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Crony Capitalism Strikes Again!

I feel like that should be a show that actively seeks to point out such instances and inform the public. Throw people on both sides of the isle under the bus (so as not to be seen as partisan and derided by one group or another for targeting or whatever other excuse they would have).
The problem would be finding a way to broadcast the show to a large number of people while avoiding the stations/networks that have a vested interest in supporting crony capitalism. It would pretty much need to be independently run.

Could always try YouTube. Until, of course, you get a CnD from some corporation. Then you make your last episode about the CnD, just to prove a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinch View Post
Could always try YouTube. Until, of course, you get a CnD from some corporation. Then you make your last episode about the CnD, just to prove a point.
Youtube's reporting system is broken, iirc, and they have more employees, lawyers, and resources than you do.







 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Last Database Backup 2018-09-23 09:00:06am local time
Myth-Weavers Status