Is this just a generational gap? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Worldly Talk

Civil discussion and debate on real world events and issues.

Is this just a generational gap?

Which generation is "generation Z?" Just so we are clear.

Because I have heard that label applied to at least three distinct groups already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeman830 View Post
Which generation is "generation Z?" Just so we are clear.

Because I have heard that label applied to at least three distinct groups already.
Post-Millenial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentshade View Post
... my grandmother rejected it, only citing my lack of time and experience in this world.
Well, perhaps that is a generational thing, in that you have an older person basing their arguments of their own anecdotal experiences and observing that a younger person has fewer of these. It's not exactly an infallible argument to say that you simply remember the past and comparing it to the present find the present wanting, but it's not entirely unfair either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentshade View Post
... he said that the math isn't important, it is "human nature"
Well, I have heard a lot of people expressing these sorts of views. I rather disagree, but I don't think that's a generational thing either. After all, they tell me that we're living in the "post-truth" era now; people would rather just believe things or not, regardless of whether or not they're actually true (though, I'm not sure if I should be trusting these people in the first place... ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFred View Post
Well, I have heard a lot of people expressing these sorts of views. I rather disagree, but I don't think that's a generational thing either. After all, they tell me that we're living in the "post-truth" era now; people would rather just believe things or not, regardless of whether or not they're actually true (though, I'm not sure if I should be trusting these people in the first place... ).
That would presume that there was a 'truth' era to begin with. If there was, I do not believe it to exist within recorded history.

I don't think we ought to just fully dismiss the generation gap thing here. Others have made good points, surely, and yes, politics plays a massive role here, but let's consider the following:

The grandparents of the OP are likely in their 70s (I'm ballparking here, of course, but that seems like a reasonable guess). That means that those folks were alive and well at a time when blacks couldn't marry whites, abortion was illegal, husbands could legally rape their wives, no-fault divorce didn't exist, female birth control didn't exist, the gay rights movement and gay rights in general didn't exist, transgender wasn't even a word yet, the Environmental Protection Agency didn't exist and racial segregation was alive and well. So yeah...maybe, just maybe, there's a little generation gap there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
I don't think we ought to just fully dismiss the generation gap thing here. Others have made good points, surely, and yes, politics plays a massive role here, but let's consider the following:

The grandparents of the OP are likely in their 70s (I'm ballparking here, of course, but that seems like a reasonable guess). That means that those folks were alive and well at a time when blacks couldn't marry whites, abortion was illegal, husbands could legally rape their wives, no-fault divorce didn't exist, female birth control didn't exist, the gay rights movement and gay rights in general didn't exist, transgender wasn't even a word yet, the Environmental Protection Agency didn't exist and racial segregation was alive and well. So yeah...maybe, just maybe, there's a little generation gap there.
I think that differences in societal context definitively matter. Personally, though, I prefer to dissociate changes in social structure from "generational gap", because the latter implies that different viewpoints are an inherent characteristic of the generation you're born in, rather than something individual that is shaped by the context you live in (even if said context change across generations, which is indeed the case).

Maybe it's arguing semantics, but to me at least it makes a difference.

I wasn't saying age is an excuse, nor is it the be-all and end-all. I'm just saying that it's a factor. It's not a coincidence that the elderly tend to vote with a conservative bent when compared to people half their age.

As far as media bias, it's important to remember that every media organization must make choices that affect how a story comes across. If a dog bites a man in the leg, do they show a picture of the dog smiling a year prior, or a picture of the man's bite wound? Do they focus on the man going to get stitches, how the dog bit someone in the past, or about the dog's owners who often let the dog run loose? All of those are valid choices, but changes what the story is about. Because of this, I'd agree it's useful to look at more than one source, though realistically few people have time to read three different articles about the same news story every time.