Catastrophic Failure - Page 65 - Myth-Weavers

Notices


Catastrophic Failure

 
Eh, stuff happens. Sure, that's a large pile of mistakes in one badly-placed moment, but frankly? Having survived this on this end is the easy way for me to learn how important it is that I backup on the first sign of trouble when I run my own show

Not sure if this was stated before, but, ah...has anyone considered screenshots? They take the least amount of effort to create and the content is "universally compatible".

I feel bad for you; obviously this was not on purpose, as that is ridiculous to think. I hope that people see their characters as more than just stats on a sheet, and realize that the characters we make are vessels to tell stories with, and their stats are just for rules arbitration.

Take care
-Hadfield1981

I was one of the lucky ones. I only lost 2 characters. And though I loved those characters, I thank Rodrigo for his honesty and integrity. You owned up to a mistake, and I can't imagine how much it hurt not only your pride, but perhaps a little emotionally. I mean, you had to know that there'd be people who lost a lot more than I did, and would be rightfully upset.

Thank you for doing what you do, and I for one forgive the loss of those sheets. Perhaps someday I'll recreate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossler View Post
Do you possibly have a interactive pdf version of the sheet?
Once the data is in JSON format it should be possible to convert it quite quickly into XML and then use that to import into an interactive PDF. Someone would have to make the actual PDF of course and make the effort to convert the data but it should be easy enough. The JSON text file has all the field names after all.

Once those steps are in place it could be automated as another export routine but what would the actual benefit be given that you can just print to PDF from your browser anyway? It's a 'nice to have' and maybe a fun project for someone. Maybe it would even be possible to import data to a PDF from JSON directly. I don't know that much about it to be honest.

On another topic Notepad++ has a feature where code is laid out at the click of a button if anyone wants to have an export that looks prettier. I haven't tried it. It's just a suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelsalmon View Post
I'm guessing you're far more adept at Excel (I struggle with pivot tables and the advanced formulae). Would you perhaps be willing to share advice or tips on reorganize the json data for excel?
Quick and dirty method:
  1. Delete the stuff at the top up to and including this bit: "jsondata":{
  2. Replace "," (including quotation marks) with newline (\n)
  3. Replace ":" (including quotation marks) with comma
  4. Delete the "}}} at the bottom and the " at the top.
  5. Save as csv
  6. Open csv in excel/whatever (specifying comma as the cell separator if it doesn't assume that already)
It will look gross as shit but the data will be there.

It's interesting seeing people work through the five stages of grief in relation to this; everyone works at their own speed.

I'd like to thank Rodrigo and the team for the way they have dealt with this and their efforts to resolve it. They could just, so easily, have said "the data is lost, computers eh?" but they far up to the community and took ownership of the issues. When I first saw the tweets I thought a was had followed in the footsteps of plothook.net which just disappeared overnight taking games and sheets of all kinds with it.

Remember folks, when in times of stress:


I've just noticed that you can see an approximate last edited date from the Library. If you've got lots of sheets that have lost data at least this view might make it easier to find which ones you need to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmillion View Post
Quick and dirty method:
  1. Delete the stuff at the top up to and including this bit: "jsondata":{
  2. Replace "," (including quotation marks) with newline (\n)
  3. Replace ":" (including quotation marks) with comma
  4. Delete the "}}} at the bottom and the " at the top.
  5. Save as csv
  6. Open csv in excel/whatever (specifying comma as the cell separator if it doesn't assume that already)
It will look gross as shit but the data will be there.
The issue with deleting information is that one wouldn't be able to modify it and use as upload, when that feature is developed. Excel can import data from txt format, so I am thinking on importing straight from the format given. But so far, it is good.

Also, on a side note, I'm using D&D 5 edition Myth Weavers' sheets. So far so good, but i do have an issue with the spell section: Do you know a way in which the spell section can be modified?, the space ends up being short, clerics can't put their full list of spells (per level) and It is even worse when playing a character multi-classing with two (or more) spellcaster classes...


This web page seems to be good for converting JSON files. I tested it for an excel file and checked the result with my antivirus software. It generated two rows with as many columns as fields in the sheet / file...

https://www.coolutils.com/online/JSON-to-XLSX








Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Last Database Backup 2019-06-25 09:00:11am local time
Myth-Weavers Status