Aftermath Heroes (PL14/250PPs)

Old May 19 '19, 2:33am
Great Wyrm

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Aftermath Heroes (PL14/250PPs)

Aftermath Heroes - Forum
Mutants and Masterminds 3e

Our Story:
In 1935 the inter-dimensional techno-demonic warlord Omega began trying to open gates between his hell dimension and the far reaches of the multiverse. He only managed to make a pinhole into our universe, near planet Earth. But the massive influx of energy into our dimension through that pinhole transformed numerous humans into superhumans. And thus the golden age of superheroes began.

Seventy years later, in 2005, Omega re-discovered our universe and planet Earth. This time he successfully opened a gate to our planet. He confidently walked through to declare himself the king of the universe and promptly had his ass handed to him by an unlikely collection of very powerful superheroes. In the aftermath of Omega's first invasion, those heroes and others formed a team of global protectors, the Freedom League.

The efforts of the Freedom League brought about a decade of relative peace and stability around the globe. But then Omega invaded again in 2015. This time he brought with him an army and the Staff of Devouring, a multidimensional artifact far older than our universe. With the Staff, Omega began siphoning off the energy from our dimension, slowly de-powering Earth's heroes one by one. The Freedom League found a way to break the Staff and defeat Omega and his army, but the damage was done. Only a small number of heroes remained. The rest were either killed in the war or were drained of their powers. A few really powerful heroes survived "the drain," as did a scattered collection of lesser heroes and villains, mostly non or barely powered. The age of the superheroes was over.

It is now 2019, Earth is still recovering from the Omega War, but things are beginning to get back to normal. Our game will pick up right there to ask the question, "What have the few, very powerful survivors of the Omega war been up to?" There are no real villains to fight. There are no other heroes to keep them in check. There are no powers on earth to stop them from doing whatever they want, whenever they want. Have they been fighting the good fight and helping Earth recover? Have they joined a government or a cause? Have they just been sitting on the sidelines drinking beer and living the good life? Have they been feuding with each other? We'll have to play to find out.

The Basics:
Aftermath Heroes will be a PL14/250PPs M&M3e game that will expect three posts a week. I am looking for two or three additional players (for a total of four) who will take on the roles of high-powered heroes who survived the Omega war. They are the only high-powered heroes left in the world. With all that power, what will they do? That's what our game is about. This game is well suited to players who are proactive, love to write their own stories (with a little cooperation), and are interested in the drama that comes from playing the most powerful people in the world.

A Note about Hero Points:
Most of the time I will leave Hero Point acquisition to the players. At the end of each short collection of scenes, I will refresh Hero Points. Other than that, Hero Points will be awarded for Complications, typically at the Players' requests. Occasionally, I will compel a Complication and reward a Hero Point, but usually I will leave that to the player to self-compel. Just let me know what you intend, and we'll make it happen and give you the HP. So, if you want a steady flow of HPs for your character, keep involving your Complications in the story.

A Note about My Play Style:
I am a very hands-off GM compared to most. My goal is to help you tell your story. If your story gets a little boring or you look to me to ask, "What happens next?" I'm here to make your life complicated and dramatic. That means that you have to tell me what you want. I'll constantly be asking players for what sorts of scenes they'd like to see next. If you are the kind of player who likes to sit back and wait for the GM to tell a story and then ask you, "What do you do?" this game ain't for you. You'll be bored to tears. But if you are the kind of player who longs to ask, "I'd like to see what happens when I take control of this entire town and run it as its Super Mayor!" Great! You are in the right place. We'll start to envision how that would play out as a Netflix show or a comic book, and I'll ask you, "What scene would you like to see first?" And we'll go from there. My goals are to help you tell your story, make your life complicated and dramatic, and to triangulate the characters at/against one another. A great story will naturally arise from that.

Also, if you are the kind of player who only checks the forum a few times a week, this isn't the game for you either. I expect three plot-moving, action-y, and dramatic posts a week. That usually involves visiting the OOC thread and/or the Discord to plan scenes, discuss plots, etc. much more than three times a week.

One more thing to keep in mind about the game and style: You don't have to create an altruistic hero, but stay out of out-right villain territory. Mainly because I don't want this to become inherently and procedurally a player-vs-player game (i.e. heroes vs. villains). Though, if the players are up for it, I will be pushing the characters into each other's path/drama. In other words, this will be much more like Umbrella Academy than it will be Justice League Unlimited when it comes to how the PCs relate to each other.

How to Apply:
Post an application in the character forum here. Your application should have the following components:

1. Write a short summary of your character: name, archetype, and a word or two about your high concept. (Example: Hermes, Out-of-retirement, Daredevil Speedster)

2. Tell us a little bit about your character's origin. Your origin doesn't have to be related to the Omega war(s), but it should, in some way, be connected to the events of 1935. Please, no origin stories that aren't easily explainable in light of the "Our Story" blurb above.

3. Tell us a little bit about how you were involved (or not) in the Omega War in 2015.

4. Tell us a little bit about how you have been spending the last four years.

5. Describe your usual cast of characters. I want at least five people that you have dramatic (not procedural or functional) relationships with. Every one of these will be a Complication for your character, and they are the primary way you will get Hero Points.

6. Describe any of the other Complications you envision for your character.

7. Give us an idea of how you plan to build your character. Complete character builds are not required at this point. I'm open to almost anything in this game. Build your character as powerful as you want within the PL/PP limits. The point isn't to see if you can be more powerful than everyone else in the world. You are. By far. If I see something I don't like, I'll say so, and if you have a build that slows the game down, we'll have to rethink it. Once the characters are chosen, we may make tweaks to all the characters to make sure everyone is comparable in optimization.

8. Give me at least three story ideas for your character. Write them as simple propositional statements. I'm not interested in you trying to do something. You are powerful enough to do whatever you want. The game will be about what happens when you do it. In other words, don't give me: "I want to try to get Captain Patriot to become the leader of all of America's armed forces." Give me: "Captain Patriot became the 'commander and chief' of all of America's armed forces." and we'll play to find out what happens as a result.

~~~

Note 1: I am going to leave applications open for at least one week from the ad posting date, longer if needed.

Note 2: If you have questions, post them in the ad thread.

Note 3: I expect people will be gone some during the summer on vacations and such. No problem. We'll work around that. I also will be gone for two weeks at the end of June on a work trip. I will be out of the country and most likely away from the internet. We should get almost a month of posting done before my trip to get us going, and we'll start back in July when I get back.

Note 4: The application period will end on Sunday 5/26 at 1 PM EDT. All applications need to be completed by then to be considered.

Game Description:

A Mutants and Masterminds 3e game about the last days of the age of heroes (PL14/250PPs)

Last edited by Butchern; May 25 '19 at 12:58pm..
You said you're looking for 2-3 players to bring the maximum to 4. Is there already a pre-approved character we should no of? I just want to make sure any concepts I have aren't treading existing ground.

Good question. I am looking for a total of four, but I do have two folks that I talked with about the game. I think both will apply, but I didn't want to obligate them if they don't. You'll see their apps when they post them, but last I talked to them they were looking at a Battlesuit and a claw/beast/brawler type.

scratches out battlesuit
Alright glad I asked. On to my other concepts then

How do you feel about a pair of limited Variable Arrays to represent all the gear she's accumulated?

Various Tech:
Base of Operations - Variable 1 [Slow, Limited to Device 25] - 6PPs
Mobile Cache - Variable 2 [Slow, Limited to Device 50] - 12PPs

The idea is that if she needs to summon some piece of tech, she can, once per scene.

So, as far as we know, there isn't any big villain or even really any small villains which are actually a challenge, or any kind of "overarching plot" in the traditional sense - this is more "slice of life"/sandbox with uniquely powerful people and how they deal with it?

But characters are supposed to be heroes? Or at least, not villains - I guess that "as one of the only people with superpowers, I'm now going to take over the world myself!" is not really what we're going for? Though, as (at least) a minor celebrity and a uniquely qualified person for a lot of things, you probably could just buy your own island or run for President or whatever without having to be a villain.

Very yes. Expect something from me by tomorrow ish.

I notice that one of the candidates is a purely tech-based hero. AFAIK, she has no actual powers of her own. Does this mean that technology actually can keep pace with Supers in this world? I assumed that the PCs occupied a pinnacle that (thanks to the war) nobody else could reach. But if a power suit can equal a powered super, then what's to stop Isabel (or another gadgeteer PC) from raising the whole world to PL 14?

Assuming that there was a final climactic battle between Omega and the Freedom League, because genre conventions, where was the battle held? Like, was it out in some random corner of the multiverse, or was it somewhere on Earth (which would presumably now basically be a wasteland)?