General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

A first for Dr. Who.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raveled View Post
I mean they announced Capqpdi we didn't know anything other than Scottish and angry eyebrows. This is SOP for Who.
Hmmmm, yes, but I'm curious if they haven't given themselves issues by not revealing anything else.

They do these announcement videos because the new Doctor always makes a short appearance at the end of the prior Doctor's last episode. If they don't formally announce it, then it's pretty much guaranteed the news will leak before they have a chance to formally announce it, when people invariably find out the actor (or actress now) was on set. It's not meant to explain this version of the Doctor's character, it's essentially just a glorified casting announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Rudo View Post
They do these announcement videos because the new Doctor always makes a short appearance at the end of the prior Doctor's last episode. If they don't formally announce it, then it's pretty much guaranteed the news will leak before they have a chance to formally announce it, when people invariably find out the actor (or actress now) was on set. It's not meant to explain this version of the Doctor's character, it's essentially just a glorified casting announcement.
... God, now I want to live in the alternate universe where the BBC tries to keep a lid on the casting and fans gu crazy tearing apart leaked photos, trying to figure it out.

If you want to know what Jodie Whittaker's character is going to be...

She's an enigmatic traveler across all of time and space. She goes to the deepest reaches of times and the furthest frontiers of the universe, seeking out the strange and the wondrous. Her enemies are implacable and invincible but she always wins in the end. She collects companions for her endless wandering so she can experience the galaxy fresh from their perspective. There's love, and laughter, and terror, and violence, but she never backs the hateful and stupid. She brings hope with the same hand that brings death while being a champion for everything that's right and beautiful in creation.

Like the Doctor has been for longer than anyone here has been alive. The essential nature of the Doctor doesn't change between performers, it's always the Doctor. They could put freaking Woody Allen in the role and still be one of the most-watched shows in the world.

Wrong on two counts. I am not the oldest person on MW and Dr Who is only 11 months older than I am. Much more importantly, if they put Woody Allen in the role of the Doctor, well, OK maybe you're not wrong because I'm sure SOMEBODY would watch the resulting abomination, but it sure wouldn't be me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Goddess View Post
Hmm, I guess my point is that it's a marketing error.
It's not an error, it's a deliberate gimmick. We didn't know anything about Smith's or Capaldi's interpretations of the character until they debuted, either. It's designed to build an air of mystery around the character to build suspense and excitement leading into the debut. And so far, it seems to be working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber_Goddess View Post
Yeah, but they've been advertising her and so on, but they haven't revealed anything about her besides the gender? No personality, no gimmick, no description of the way they decide to take the character? Nothing of any kind?
In the 50th Anniversary episode, you got to see Capaldi's weaponized eyebrows. That was it.

Fembusters failure is way too long an argument for here. Try here.

When the 1996 Dr Who project was in the works, some exec wanted to cast John Cleese as the Doctor, have him get drunk, and molest his companion. Yeah, that was someone's idea. Fortunately, wiser heads said "no". But this "creative input" was one of the voices that had to be compromised with, which lead in part to the story being so utterly terrible.

So no, you can't cast just anybody.

That said, I think it would be very wise for the BBC to release something else info wise to distract from the current discussion. Preferably something with some substance.

...why? Is the current discussion that negative? I'm aware in certain areas of the internet it is, but overall there hasn't been so much negative talk as there has been speculation about what (if anything) this means for the character. And the entire point of announcing a casting decision is to spur speculation and interest. I don't see why they have to justify or defend this rather than just wait for her first in-character appearance as they have done for every Doctor. I'm sure we'll get snippets here and there (most likely they're still hashing out character and story ideas in the writer's room), but I really don't see that much of an overall response beyond mild curiosity.

I'd like to see the "It's so important that the Doctor is now a woman" discussion go to something like "new actor is brilliant" or "writing is going to be way better now because _____." I think the fuss about the actor being female is distracting, and not in a good way.