Comma Equals Carriage Return? - Page 5 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Site Discussion

Do you have questions, suggestions, feedback, bug reports or other concerns? Post them here!

Comma Equals Carriage Return?

testtest test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test te,
t

Additional troubleshooting. Looks like if the comma-space sequence pushes the closing fieldset tag to a new line in the editor window, a hard newline is inserted. Doesn't matter which forum.

test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test te testing,
a

Same behavior observed with a setfield tag instead of fieldset.

test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test te test,
a

Same behavior observed with a bold tag. Looks like if the closing tag is present (and valid to parse), pushing that closing tag off to the next line with a comma-space sequence causes the hard newline.

test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test.
a

This time, I tried with a period-space sequence, and got the behavior again. It seems the punctuation may not matter as much as the space before the closing tag.

testDoes it really matter if there is a punctuation or not, or is it simply a matter of pushing the closing tag off the end of the line? No, it looks like it really needs to have a punctuation followed by a space. Trying with a colon this time just to:
see if it happens.

Punctuation-space sequence required. If the punctuation pushes the fieldset tag to the next line, the newline is inserted when the space character is typed. It appears to trigger on whatever script or browser functionality separates the preceding punctuation from the left bracket [ at the start of the tag.

test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test ,
ab[/b]

OK, so it doesn't need to be a valid parsing sequence either. When the punctuation-left bracket sequence breaks across a line in the editor, adding a space character causes a newline.

Wow, that is bizarre!

I can only surmise it has to be a ghost in the machine. I guess that's coding for you.

Good on you, Mordae. That's some series bug-detection chops. I tried to repro it for a while and got nowhere.

Unable to reproduce in Safari. This looks like a Chrome+vBulletin issue.

EDIT: Last test, retried in Chrome with JavaScript disabled; the error persisted, which exonerates vBulletin. This is a Chrome bug.