Monk Variant: Psychic - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Monk Variant: Psychic

Monk Variant: Psychic

I am tossing some ideas around, nothing official yet *aka* nothing for a wiki entry.

I am thinking if you removed the flurry ability/Slow Fall/Maybe the AC Per Level

In return give them Psychic warrior Psychic spells and power point progression?

*Side note* This is not something to be of a equal exchange, just most agree monks, are underpowered compared to other classes, so it is seeking to give something up with the abilities gain from the spells.

While I agree many people do think the monk is underpowered, I believe you have to be worried about overshadowing the actual Psychic Warrior. Since it has the same BAB, and worse saves, you would have to assure yourself that what remains of the Monk after you try to balance it is not obviously better than the combat feats that that class gets.

Some people think that the Psychic Warrior is overpowered, and I though I don't agree with them, I think you'd be hard pressed to say it was underpowered. So if your Psychic Monk is an obviously better alternative, you've probably gone too far in terms of the strength of the class.

Edit: Though removing the flurry ability might be going a bit far. Obviously it's a matter of taste, but I think most players see it as iconic of the class, even though it, at the beginning, is the equivalent of the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

A good idea in principal.

The main questions I have are: What do we want to keep from the monk? What do we want in terms of psychic powers?

If you're still going to propose revised classes, I'd suggest keeping the monk non-psychic for simplicity's sake. You could improve some of their weaker abilities (ie, just give them feather fall already instead of a weak imitation of it), allow them some mechanism by which to easily enchant their unarmed strike, and either grant full BAB or a way to bypass normal AC like the Rogue.

I encourage you to compare the psychic rogue to the standard model & draw your inspiration from there. Similar power points, similar power acquisition, move many of the monk's "always on" features to requiring psionic focus, etc.

Don't forget to weight the already existing options. http://therafimrpg.wikidot.com/tashalatora

Aye that is a good one but has two problems It is a obscure supplemental in a alternative world. An a feat instead of a class idea, which some would say may be slightly overpowered for a feat.

You could always slap the monk's unarmed capabilities and innate Armor class bonuses onto the Psychic Warrior, while getting rid of the martial and armor proficiencies, and call it a monk. The fact that the PW's powers work off of Wisdom works really well with this idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
You could always slap the monk's unarmed capabilities and innate Armor class bonuses onto the Psychic Warrior, while getting rid of the martial and armor proficiencies, and call it a monk. The fact that the PW's powers work off of Wisdom works really well with this idea.
This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking.

A Psychic Monk would be too much like an unarmed Psychic Warrior to not just make things easier by splicing the two together. It's kinda like the "unarmed swordsage" variant, really.

Just gestalt it as a special request. You're playing a monk for Zarus' sake, nobody would bat an eyelid since the class is horrible and unsalvable alone. Failing that, Tashlatora, Psychic Warrior/Psion + Monk will probably fix things.