Help With My Aasimar Cleric Build - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Help With My Aasimar Cleric Build

Help With My Aasimar Cleric Build

Hello fellow Weavers and veterans of Pathfinder. I am fairly new to PF and I'm preparing for a One Shot TT adventure this weekend. The other players love melee centric builds so I am looking to build a cleric that can be great support/buffer/healer. Usually my cleric builds focus on melee/tanky, but thats not the role I want to play with this cleric so I need your help.

The Party Consists of a TWF Unchained Rogue, Barbarian (Focused on Crits), and Paladin (Great Weapon Fighter) so melee is covered quite well. These players always overlook how cool spellcasters can be and its my mission in life to help them see, LOL.

25 Point Buy
Aasimar Cleric
3 Feats to work with
Starting Level 5
10500gp to start
2Traits

My initial thought after some googling is to focus on Wis and Char (Duh right?), light armor, good dex and at least the Travel Domain so he can fly and some other goodies. So I'm taking suggestions on some gear as well. He will probably be using a shield to boost AC. Good weapon suggestions are helpful because he will fight some and some ranged touch spells would be cool, so suggestions for some good spells are welcome.

This One shot is basically going to be a dungeon crawl with 4-5 fights to survive with no rests.

Aaaaaaand GO!

Quite honestly have you considered playing a Bard or a Skald? it will probably be easier to do what you want to do with those classes with the way that you want to play at least. Even more so if you just want to be a "cool" spellcaster.

But well if you really want to do a generalist cleric: (since it doesn't seem that you have a focus there)

-Get a reach weapon, pick your favorite. Halberd in general are pretty neat. If you really want to do dex, get a bow.
-Get Spell focus (Conjuration), Augment Summoning and Summon Good Monsters
-Use Divine favor to boost your attack
-Magic weapon spell can be used to give a magic enhancement to your weapon, so no need to spend gold on a +1 weapon. Use most of the gold to get other magic items.

Fill most of your spell slots with summon monsters.
Your goal is mostly to summon monsters to serve as extra bodies, or crippling enemies, celestial crocodile for example can grapple enemies with their massive cmb.

Your reach weapon is for the occasional melee or to prevent enemies from coming to reach you.

Everything else doesn't really matter, get your favorite gear and traits.

You could always use your channel as weapon. This a different build than requested. The blossoming light archetype really buffs channeling. It gives extra channels per day, and allows extra creatures to be treated like undead (see below). A 25pt buy Aasimir will easily have a good charisma that make this work.

"At 3rd level, when a blossoming light channels energy to harm undead, her channeled energy also harms chaotic evil outsiders, worshipers of chaotic evil deities, and evil creatures with light sensitivity or light blindness as if they were undead".

A glory & sun domain blossoming light cleric with a 16 CHA at 5th level would have 10 channels per day that did 3d6+5 pts of damage vs undead (DC17 Will for 50%). Take improved channel as one of the feats, and save DC goes to 19. If the groups is not fighting evil things, the build isn't as great.

++++++++++++++++
I should also add that the evangelist archetype would fit with your idea. It is lighted armored cleric that happens to have bard song abilities.

I don't have much experience with Pathfinder either, but I am intrigued by all the metamagic options. With every cure wounds spell being touch only, meaning one has to get close and, if all the pals are melee guys, in melee range, I have the thought that making it ranged via metamagic might come in handy in some situations. I haven't tested it, so it might be an utter waste of a feat and spell slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drome View Post
I don't have much experience with Pathfinder either, but I am intrigued by all the metamagic options. With every cure wounds spell being touch only, meaning one has to get close and, if all the pals are melee guys, in melee range, I have the thought that making it ranged via metamagic might come in handy in some situations. I haven't tested it, so it might be an utter waste of a feat and spell slot.
It would probably be better to buy a metamagic reach rod for these situations. It will burn not the spell slot or require a feat to have it.

A couple of alternatives:

If the cleric doesn't have a high enough charisma to make selective channel worthwhile or if they want excellent range for the channels, take a look at the channel ray feat. It turns a channel into a ray that can hit one target. It automatically hits a willing ally. Range is 30 feet for every die of channeling.

If the healer has a familiar, the familiar can deliver the healing touch spell. This works nicely if the familiar flies or can go invisible.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep me coming. Still looking for suggestions