Nervously considering. - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Nervously considering.

Do people feel its important to have all the aite bb codes and dice codes and everything down before trying to get something up and running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezdock View Post
Do people feel its important to have all the aite bb codes and dice codes and everything down before trying to get something up and running?
This "importance" varies with each individual. Like, I do a lot of coding so I'm comfortable with formatting my own posts, but I don't stress too much with other people's posts.

If you tell outright to potential players/applicants that you're not too keen with formatting and stuff, then their expectations would adjust accordingly, and you'll be able to weed out players that place more importance on these things than you do.

Everyone has answered pretty well in here, but to add another voice: the only way to get better is to practice. If you state that you are new to hosting PBP games, that can help set player expectation. The more you do, the more natural it will feel for you, and the bb codes will come naturally over time. You can even set up a private DM-only section in your gaming board to practice and get a post just the way you want it without risking the players seeing it, and then just copy and paste it into the Player's area when you're happy with it.

Another thing you can do is browse other people's games and get an idea on the types of coding and setup they use in their posts, if you're wanting to learn more about it. You can also check out a bunch of different DMing styles in once place like the AL Games section. Those are all D&D 5th edition games, but the system doesn't change the posting style. You'll see some DMs put more formatting in than others, but in the end it doesn't really change the game itself that much.

Just because one cupcake has sprinkles on it doesn't automatically make it better than the cupcake without sprinkles. The same can be said about the fancy formatting. The biggest thing is take it easy, relax, and make sure you and your players are all having fun and enjoying the game for what it is. The rest comes with experience.

It's been mentioned a bit before on this thread, but I'd caution against a full Adventure Path for your first time for a couple reasons:

1) Adventure Paths are designed for live-action play: I've heard it a few times that DMs who run successful Adventure Paths via play-by-post modify the adventures, particularly by taking out some of the filler to keep things moving along.
2) Adventure Paths are very long. Each of the six books is meant to cover multiple in-person gaming sessions that can cover a lot more ground.

Pathfinder has a lot of great smaller adventures though that have all the benefits of a published adventure without the daunting level 1 to 17+ to worry about.

One other thing is when you make an advertisement, just come out and say, "This is my first time DMing on this site, please bear with me." Think you'll find players will be understanding and flexible.

Quote:
To add to what TheGreyWulf said, a couple of additional things.

You don’t really need to know all of the codes, only the ones that you’re going to use regularly. If you know enough to post when a player, you almost certainly know enough to get started as a GM. You can always look up how to do e.g. tables when you decide that you need them, and get comfortable with them that way, by using them in practice on the rare occasions when you decide that you have to. Also, steal other people’s formats, as Kadith suggested, by quoting their posts and then looking to see what tags they used to do it, and how.

It depends what you want to do. For the vast majority of posts, the only markup you really need is bold and italics and maybe colours, whatever. The buttons on the post form are plenty for that (and if you really need something else, inspecting other posts or checking the wiki or even just asking someone works).

APs have the benefit of being usually-well-written pre-planned modules which you don't have to do tons to make work. Stand-alone one-shot adventures might be preferable to Paizo's 1-20 style APs, though, since they often start higher than L1 (1-20 is fine in principle, but in practise it's likely to be 1-1) and aren't as long.

Quote:
Probably no. As a matter of fact, my favorite character sheets actually just list everything as a normal post, no formatting required.

Also, as @Voord 99 said, you only need the codes that you use regularly. I mean stuff like bold, italic, dice tags (possibly with a z at the end, which is highly useful because it makes the forum display the number) and private tags.
Maybe add a picture tag to the above, but that's really about it!