Academically-minded healer/buffer? - Page 2 - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Academically-minded healer/buffer?

*grumbles because he doesn't have any of the Heroes of X books or Complete Champion*

I suppose I could just rely on D&D Tools, but that seems sort of cheating.

Eh, I might just go with cleric or druid and bump up Intelligence. And refluff things. Out of curiosity, has anyone heard of a non-wizard/wu-jen scribing spells into a spellbook?

I know you're going to hate me, but yeah, Archivist again, although they call it a prayer book IIRC.

Just so you know, pretty much every single 3.x book is on DriveThruRPG. Heroes of Horror is $14.99. Not sure how that works out for Australia though.

You could easily just flavour it with your character writing his spells into a spellbook. If you don't ask for a benefit for/out of it I can't imagine why any most GMs should have an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drome View Post
You could easily just flavour it with your character writing his spells into a spellbook. If you don't ask for a benefit for/out of it I can't imagine why any most GMs should have an issue.
"So...my divine-caster character has high Intelligence and he's good at Spellcraft and Knowledge (Arcana) and stuff. Can he transcribe the spells he knows into a spellbook so the party wizard can cast them? If they appear on the wizard spell list too, I mean?"
(Although looking at the SRD, there seems to be oddly little overlap...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaday Daydream View Post
"Can he transcribe the spells he knows into a spellbook so the party wizard can cast them? If they appear on the wizard spell list too, I mean?"
I'm not sure how it works with transcribing into a book that isn't your own, but Wizards have a way of copying from another book or preparing from another book. So your Archivist can lend his/her book to the Wizard so the Wizard can either prepare the spell directly from the Archivist's book, or copy the spell from the Archivist's book into his/her own book. Says so here.

I believe it would fall under this section, even if it is the description for spell scrolls:
"Divine Magical Writings
Divine spells can be written down and deciphered just as arcane spells can (see Arcane Magical Writings). Any character with the Spellcraft skill can attempt to decipher the divine magical writing and identify it. However, only characters who have the spell in question (in its divine form) on their class spell list can cast a divine spell from a scroll."

So I'd think there would be no mechanical benefit for someone who gets their hands on a spellbook made by a cleric/druid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drome View Post
I believe it would fall under this section, even if it is the description for spell scrolls:
"Divine Magical Writings
Divine spells can be written down and deciphered just as arcane spells can (see Arcane Magical Writings). Any character with the Spellcraft skill can attempt to decipher the divine magical writing and identify it. However, only characters who have the spell in question (in its divine form) on their class spell list can cast a divine spell from a scroll."

So I'd think there would be no mechanical benefit for someone who gets their hands on a spellbook made by a cleric/druid.
I think the clause you've highlighted doesn't apply like you're implying it does.

The Wizard only needs to transcribe into her book the spell from the Archivist's book, which is covered by the first and second sentences of that rule. If the spell in the Archivist's book is also on the Wizard's spell list, then the Wizard can potentially transcribe that spell into her own book.

The third sentence applies to casting a divine spell from a scroll, which isn't included in the scenario. The Wizard isn't casting from a scroll - she's only preparing/transcribing a spell from her book or from the Archivist's book. At casting time, she's using the spell from memory, not from a scroll.

You could pick up the Arcane Disciple feat from Complete Divine and pick the healing domain. You still need wisdom to be able to cast the spells. But they're arcane spells and get added to your spell book like normal. Along a similar vein the domain wizard option from Unearthed Arcana could work, it says that with GM discretion other domains than the ones listed could be used. No need for wisdom then, also seconding ALFs suggestion of War Weaver as a great buffer class.

For another route entirely you could go psion and go into the sangehirn prc. It's available on the web as a mind's eye supplement.

Mm, I did play a wizard with Arcane Disciple once; an Eberron character who wanted to develop a benign bacteria to make people stronger. Like engineering Pokerus or something.

That would give basic access to curative spells at least...are there any domains that could grant stuff like Neutralise Poison and Remove Disease and such, though?