Anyone else? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Anyone else?

Anyone else?

Get sad when there application isnt selected for a game? Like they didnt do good enough or something?

I suspect it does give a negative kick. Maybe it's just that each person handles that kick differently. It's just like applying for a job and getting rejected. Some people are quick to bounce back, others take longer.

That's my experience anyway. When I get rejected, it stings but then Life moves me along. That's why I've learned to enjoy every step of the application process and focus less on being accepted. I've learned to enjoy the process of creating the applicant character, so that getting accepted just becomes icing to my cake. And with so many recruiting games here, you can imagine how I can enjoy my time here just writing up a new character every week.

It has happened to all of us, I reckon. I have several character ideas who have never been taken for a game.

There are far more players than DMs. I tend to lean towards known players, but will try to take at least one fresh face. Sadly, they tend to be the ones who drop the most also.

I would be surprised if someone said they didn't get sad when they weren't selected.

Well, even if you are sad (which is understandable), I don't think it's too meaningful to extrapolate too much from it (like you didn't do good enough or something like that). In most cases, the selection is neither objective nor transparent (and it's even harder for GMs to strive for such things when there's a ton of applicants and limited time). Most of the time, applicants will have no idea what a GM is looking for in terms of characters / players, so it's essentially just a matter of luck.

There may be some cases where you might be able to learn and improve from not being selected (especially if the GM is kind enough to provide feedback), but those are few and far between. A good and simple example is spelling / punctuation / grammar: it requires minimal feedback, and is very easy to improve with a spell-checker.

It can be a little difficult to bounce back from a rejected app, especially when you put a lot of time and energy into it. But like others have said, you learn to enjoy the whole process, especially for the crunchier systems, else it gets to you too much. These days, not getting accepted into a game barely stings - I've gotten used to it. And half the time it's for the best, since I usually have enough games as is.

It stings a little, especially with Pathfinder because apparently for some reason, I can't get into PF games. At least, not compared to my success rate with other systems. And weirdly, nearly all of my accepted PF characters are full casters, which is NOT my preferred style of play.
But it's only a little, most times it's easy to see how my application just wasn't up to the level of the winners. On some rare occasions, it does hurt, because I thought I really had something excellent and I still fail. Those are the only ones that really make me sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezdock View Post
Get sad when there application isnt selected for a game? Like they didnt do good enough or something?
Obviously yes, there are. I don't find it sad, however. Instead, I tend to just wish people good luck without me.
Hey, maybe it's for the better!

Besides, it really just means I get to apply to another game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsenRG View Post
Obviously yes, there are. I don't find it sad, however. Instead, I tend to just wish people good luck without me.
Hey, maybe it's for the better!

Besides, it really just means I get to apply to another game!
This is the correct answer.

Cheer up, if you would like to play a level 2 fifth edition D&D cleric or druid, there are at least two different game referees looking for just such a character. There is a Hoard of the Dragon Queen advertisement for a generic cleric, and I am running a Primeval Thule game where you could play a priest of Hastur if you like. I have not put up a replacement advertisement yet, but feel free to take a look at the Pantheon information in my game forum. All are welcome to submit 2nd level clerics or druids in the designated sub-folder for consideration; I will prefer human characters.