Is this site the best? - Myth-Weavers

Notices

Gaming Discussion

For all things gaming related.

Is this site the best?

Is this site the best?

Does anyone use any other pbp sites? I was checking out one that was for my hero academia rp, and another for an x-men style one. Just curious if people use / recommend other places; or is the weave the best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezdock View Post
Does anyone use any other pbp sites? I was checking out one that was for my hero academia rp, and another for an x-men style one. Just curious if people use / recommend other places; or is the weave the best?
I find that MW has the best interface I've encountered. But what makes or breaks a game are the players and Referee, and I've found good players and Referees on pretty much all sites I've tried to play.
So, MW is best in one area, yes. But THE best is going to be subjective.

OK, that became more philosophical than I intended it, sorry!

MW has a lot of good systems that make it easy and just pleasant to run games. Individualized sub-forums, dice rolling integrated into the forums, and the character sheets tied to the dice roller make everything flow well.

But a site is only as good as it s community and there's good people in lots of places. So there's lots of good places to find games!

I personally think it is. But there are other good sites and I'm sure some of the players there are good, after all, some of them are the same people we have here.

You might get pretty vague responses on this topic, because of this rule:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rules, emphasis mine
Myth Weavers exists as a complete play-by-post gaming website. Advertising other sites on Myth Weavers or using parts of Myth Weavers to advertise games that will be played exclusively on other sites is not permitted. Feel free to use site resources such as sheets and wiki but do not advertise the game.

Use of the Games & Ads forum to advertise for your game is permissible if and only if the game is being played in some capacity via Myth-Weavers, and the ad title and description explicitly call out any external tool usage. While you are free to establish a game here and play via Roll20, IRC, Skype, or Tabletop, etc, at least some part of the gaming must take place at Myth-Weavers. That can come in many forms, including but not limited to an adventure log or OOC forum.

Again, games are subject to all site content rules, which means that linking to inappropriate material is still prohibited.
So, if someone thinks that there's a better site out there, they probably won't name it or link to it (and possibly not even bring it up), to avoid breaking the rule.

That said, I like MW a lot. It's got a lot of really great bells and whistles, and breaks down far less than other sites that I've gamed on. As others have said, a lot of what makes a great gaming site isn't so much the bells-and-whistles (though I'd argue that sure helps), but the quality of the community.

I personally think that MW is lacking there compared to at least one other site that I use-- but it's still good. I think my opinion about the community here is probably just tinted because it wasn't my first DnD site. It's hard to compete witha first love, you know? I think that situation is improving a bit with the storytelling competition getting the community involved. I might like to see more site-wide competitions or other kinds of large community engagement. But that's a lot of effort to put on whoever runs an event/competition, and potentially doesn't have a lot of benefit from the perspective of the staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildly_competent View Post
You might get pretty vague responses on this topic, because of this rule: So, if someone thinks that there's a better site out there, they probably won't name it or link to it (and possibly not even bring it up), to avoid breaking the rule.
Well, most people are not going to (and should not) advertise their games on other sites, but many of us have been around the various options out there and will point to them. For example, I've done some time on Tangled Web when an old gaming buddy was a mod there, and several years on Gaia Online (entirely free-form, though - their dice roller sucks).

I liked Tangled Web quite a bit, but their community is mostly focused on D&D 5e (which has never been my cup of tea) or lower-leveled Pathfinder games. Although I did start a short-lived fad of BESM 3e games at one point. Sadly, I cannot go back so much, since MW's love of higher level PF games (and of 3rd party content) has corrupted me.

Meanwhile, I have many fond memories of my free-form days on Gaia Online. Most of those RPs didn't last, but a few really hung in there and were a lot of fun. Helped me up my writing game, too. However, most of the crowd there as of late (we're talking a few years ago) seemed more focused on fandoms and other pursuits. Also, my move towards wanting more adventure plots over flirting simulators had me drifting away.

That said, Myth-Weavers has a good community behind it. There is usually enough people and GMs for the sorts of games I enjoy. The tools provided here are quite useful (although I've come to use World Anvil for world building/organizing).

I don't know if MW's the best out there, but it's certainly been my favorite.

Like Yamazaki, I have used - and still use - The Tangled Web. It's a small but dedicated community of gamers, but it's true that anything beyond DnD and Pathfinder is likely going to be a stretch to get off the ground over there.

But, in a testament to the power and awesomeness of Myth-weavers, every single TTW game I play in uses MW sheets for PCs. It's a well known thing around the web on PbP sites that this one is simply the most complete, competent, dedicated and consistent in its quality and offerings.

Can you find other good sites to play on with good gamers? Sure. Can you find another one like Myth-weavers? Not in my experience, no, and I've been doing this for more than a decade now.

Yeah, as we were reminded during the Great Data Loss, there are a LOT of people who just use MW for sheets. Whether they use it as a digital repository for tabletop games or for online play elsewhere, they might not exactly be part of the playing community here, but they are a testament to the strength of this site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlinmc View Post
Can you find other good sites to play on with good gamers? Sure. Can you find another one like Myth-weavers? Not in my experience, no, and I've been doing this for more than a decade now.
This. Raistlinmc has hit the nail on the head, in my opinion. I have been playing by post since 2007(I think? I can't remember anymore), and have seen the rise and fall of numerous sites and forums, but Myth-Weavers will always be my Online TTRPG home, as it has been since 2008.

I don't know if there's a better one out there, but with the community, the format, the breadth of systems playable, the great tools available, I can scarcely imagine any way to improve it. That and it just feels like home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamazaki
Also, my move towards wanting more adventure plots over flirting simulators had me drifting away.
Oh, man! I remember a lot of games I tried to join back around 2006-2007 on another site that wound up being almost exactly this. Do not miss those days. Thank you, Myth-Weavers, for not being that.