Let's Play Guild Wars 2!! - Page 24 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

General Discussion

All-purpose section for discussions that don’t clearly belong in any of the other categories.

Let's Play Guild Wars 2!!

One more vote for really liking the lowering level system.. I liked it in City of Heroes just for being able to play with my friends.. Granted in this it doesn't work the other way around (can't get "leveled up" to the high stuff), but it still gives me a chance to hang out with friends that started later.. You still seem to keep a lot of stuff too.. Like traits and skill points you've spent seem to stick around, just makes things still a challenge rather than just one hitting everything when you go back..

I would really like to one-hit a world boss, just for shits and giggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Kage View Post
Speaking of, WS, haven't seen you in-game for a while
Haven't been on nearly as much as I like.. I pulled a nearly 60 hour week at work last week and was wiped out a bit I was on Sunday real early in the morning for a couple hours.. I'm at nearly level 19, I think.. I even booted it up yesterday, but fell asleep after walking my dog LOL..

I'm going to try and get on tonight and have some fun.. Still learning my build.. I've seen a bit of the squishiness someone spoke of earlier with dual dagger rogues.. I think I need to work on my timing with hitting evades at the right time.. That's another big plus this game has, combat is a lot of fun when you make it about more than just hitting your rotation..

Haha, I saw someone complain that he didn't like the game because he couldn't figure out his rotation. GW2 was just waiting for cooldowns to pop and it was like playing whack-a-mole.

He's a die-hard WoW player, so that should explain why he didn't get it. Combat is not the same thing as it is in other MMOs...

I'm going to hit 80 tonight. If you're still on when I ding, I'll shoot you a whisper and see if you want some company for a bit.

Just hit 20 on my rogue, starting to get the hang of double dagger playstyle. You have to be really on top of your dodging, and having ways to replenish your initiative is really important. I took the trait that lets you regain 3 initiative every time you steal, and I've been abusing the hell out of that.

I've also been abusing the backstab damage from stealth. I think I'm going to eventually pick up the trait that lets you get 100% crit from stealth, since I tend to use it so often.

Hmm... I can see the points of views offered. I can see both sides as I sit here thinking about it. The down-scaling keeps a level of challenge which often disappears from games like FF and Skyrim (or any game with levels and level locked zones). It prevents certain levels of boredom. That actually could be a very interesting point in the games favor for me.

On the other hand, it is still nice to be able to "steamroll" in favor of a friend, at times. That was one of the greatest things about Guild Wars. If I, or my friends, couldn't have ran each other or simply just rolled through lower level zones, it would not have been entirely possible to play with my friends. I, for one, don't have as much time to play as most other people. Thus I tend to be behind the curve. This problem isn't really fixed by down-scaling simply because not everyone enjoys going back to a zone they've been in (its boring because they have experienced it already). They are far more likely to come back and help if they can just destroy enemies quickly and move a friend along past it.

What is this side-kick system being referred too?

The down-leveling system is actually called sidekicking. At least, that'st he name the devs used when talking about it pre-launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalara Shadowmist View Post
On the other hand, it is still nice to be able to "steamroll" in favor of a friend, at times. That was one of the greatest things about Guild Wars. If I, or my friends, couldn't have ran each other or simply just rolled through lower level zones, it would not have been entirely possible to play with my friends. I, for one, don't have as much time to play as most other people. Thus I tend to be behind the curve. This problem isn't really fixed by down-scaling simply because not everyone enjoys going back to a zone they've been in (its boring because they have experienced it already). They are far more likely to come back and help if they can just destroy enemies quickly and move a friend along past it.
It is nice to steamroll sometimes!

One thing to know is that GW2 does not offer perfect down-scaling. The earlier content is easier than high level content, no matter what level you are. You might go back to a level 10 zone, and be down-leveled to 12, but the monsters will be easier to handle than anything you fight at level 70. You still can't sleep through it, but it's definitely easier.

You also still have all your perks, traits, gear, skills, etc. Your stats get scaled down but you have a lot of auxiliary benefits that you didn't have when you were doing that content at-level. That helps make the same content a bit easier.

Quote:
What is this side-kick system being referred too?
It's just another way to say "down-leveling." Some MMOs like City of Heroes allow a higher level character to "sidekick" down to a friend's level so they can experience content at-level together without worrying about outpacing each other. GW2 does this universally and automatically.