Magic Items in Farland - Page 4 - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Magic Items in Farland

Then I would just mention in the description that the weapon is silvered, since I agree that it fits the weapon's flavor.

Maybe it started out life as an ordinary silvered weapon and got enchanted later? Would that work?

2/5
Maybe, but that can be figured out later I think.

A few of the items I posted just now I'm not entirely sure about the names. Ideas for better ones (such as the "sight-speech stones, I didn't want to just call them communicators)?

Also, how might one depict madness mechanically? Or would that just be a story element?

2/7

I found the insanity mechanic, it's described in the glyph of warding spell.

And just and FYI so you don't think I'm just trying to make a giant cache with the beholder items for players to raid, I'm planning to make (Mr. Mage)'s lair full of traps and crawling with minions of varying levels (including alarms which will summon dozens if not hundreds of skeletons).

2/14

The descriptions of the gems of power were as succinct as I could come up with. If anyone has advice or pointer on how I can condense the information, that would be great.

New

Are you working on an adventure for the mage's lair?

Yes... Though the party that was going to Farland and adventure around there and eventually find his lair seems to have disbanded, so it may take a while before I can play test it. I have a massive layout planned. Basically he discovered and expanded some giant catacombs beneath the city, including (should you be willing) the tomb of King Normator of Kassius, hence how he got his hands on some of his relics to study. (He was burried with at least one of his royal guard, giving him access to the magic shield and spear. Gorgos's Spear is meant to be modeled after the Spears of Kassius.)

Sir Septimus gets most of his undead hoards from (Mr. Mage)'s stash of skeletons, which he gradually collects from various battlefields and other places. The old ruined senate building is his staging point for this, openly bringing bodies there and dumping them into a giant hole "so that he can prepare them for the 4th commander to use". But he smuggles in countless more bodies and has a huge operation underground. His Dark Cadre is elsewhere, but a lot of his personal research as well as many of the findings of the cadre are stashed in places in his lair. He also has numerous crawling hands roming about doing various things, and a Gargoyle watching the front gate (which leads to a secret door in his private mansion... within an already secret dungeon, which is reached from a secret attic... Liches are PARANOID).

(Mr. Mage) plans to eventually turn his undead hoards on the Lord of Wrath (including Sir Septimus), become the supreme ruler of Farland, and use that as a staging ground to spread chaos and destruction across the land. He is being smart though, hiding everything and gaining political power from the most powerful being this side of the wintervale. But his plans may or may not be moved very much ahead of schedule because some pesky adventurers discovered his plots and weren't able to kill him before escaping with (most of) their lives. Should this happen... I'm not sure yet. Masses of skeletons will flood from the senate building and various wells and other prepared locations, and there will be an epic struggle between them and the forces of the Lord of Wrath, and potentially those of the Commanders that have not yet been defeated. Alternatively, if the Lord of Wrath is killed before (Mr. Mage), he'll spring his trap on the now disoriented city giving the heroes an unexpected added challenge which they may need to just flee from, regroup, and come back to re-re-take the city (possibly with another Commander or two who want a piece of that ******** **** (Mr. Mage)).

I'll need to write up a more official and better organized proposal (as organized as a major intrigue ridden political mess can be, especially when there can be multiple outcomes based on what the players have done regarding the other commanders and the Lord of Wrath). But that said, do you have any immediate objections to this idea?

...Any objections aside from the name? I need to just GIVE the guy a stinking name! XP

New

I think it is all good for an adventure which ideally the PCs would thwart before it actually disrupts anything in the world. What level PCs would it be for?

Higher leveled, at least into the teens, mostly because of the intensity of the lair. They should be able to have at least two encounters, the first time they are not meant to be able to defeat him for "X" reason. The first time they may or may not know he is a lich yet, but there should be a reason for them them to know they want to get the amulet tied to his hand. The amulet contains the ghost of Sir Septimus' wife while he was still the living paladin Sir Cosmas Von Mattian. The ghost would be an NPC which could give basic information and help with occasion combat. Her unfinished business is revenge on (Mr. Mage) and freeing her husband from his bonds as a death knight.

Ideally the results would be self contained as either a fixable or preventable stand-alone event, or else as a direct or at least delayed reaction to defeating the Lord of Wrath. The Lich uses a magic item which he has crafted in mass by his minions in order to control so many skeletons at once, so it seems logical that if he were to be killed, all skeletons attached to him would die as well, so that would be a manageable fix as far as accidentally starting the Apocalypse, right? And acquiring the amulet with the ghost would give them an edge in combat since she has a vendetta against him.

New

A couple things:

- Firstly, I have finally named the Lich. (Mr.Mage) will forever on be known as Haultinus Etician. Native of Farland, he became a lich sometime around when the Lord of Wrath captured the city. His becoming a lich has absolutely nothing to do with his practically handing several important political figures to the Lord of Wrath, rather it was his ambitions and lust for power that drove him both to serving under the Lord of Wrath and becoming a lich.

- I've been looking back to Galdien, the insane anti-lich. (Which reminds me, I actually have the 7th commander mostly written up, I need to wrap that up and post them :P) Galdien is obsessed with magic items, grabbing things from around the globe ranging from powerful artifacts to simple items which he deemed was necessary for his "collection". I've been contemplating Galdien and his collection for a bit now, and have come up with several ideas for bizarre things which he creats himself to satisfy his hunger for more magic to surround him. These are items which no one in their right mind would want anywhere on the same plane as them, maybe not even on a different plane. I'm thinking his adventure could be for a couple different levels;

around level 8, this party is abducted because they have a very magical item or are set to protect an important and famous figure (the normal guards acting as decoys as the party is hired to take them to a secret and safe place). After being captured, they are tasked with finding a way to escape with their hides intact, and maybe grabbing something which may or may not lead to some major mayhem depending on how insane Galdien was when he made it or if he made it (more likely to cause mayhem if he did make it);

16-18, they seek out Galdien's tower (either because they were abducted in the past or it has been spotted by a sailor who miraculously didn't die escaping or somewhat), the intent is investigate/kill/avenge/rescue/something. If they manage to kill Galdien, his tower begins to implode (from all the unstable magic emanating from Galdien's collection) and they have a time limit to escape through his portal-to-anywhere, though if they fail, they become targets of him and are harassed constantly until he is dead.

I bring up Galdien because of some of the items I want to start introducing. What do you think in general of where I'm leading Galdien?

- I also have been rummaging through the actual items listed for D&D. How do you feel about some of the crazier items? Things like the Quiver of Ehlonna which can just be renamed, or the Rod of Lordly Might which can just be passed off as a relic from one of the Cadres. Or what about things like the Bag of Beans or the Deck of Many Things which are just crazy and often harmful to the player trying to use it (at least the bag of beans has an element of predictability)? I kind of asked this before, and you said most items in the DMG would be accessible except scenario specific ones. For these crazy items (things like the deck of many things), would they be explained as having been crated by an ancient magical being experimenting with their powers (like a hag, or a new or elderly dragon, or Galdien)?

New