Healing: background, feat, skill, equipment, and more - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

Healing: background, feat, skill, equipment, and more

Healing: background, feat, skill, equipment, and more

I was actually working on this stuff when the Herbalism feat was added, which made me realize I had to do a lot more revising. The background is completely my work, drawing inspiration from many places, but I clam the work as a whole my own. The suggestions for adjusting the medicine skill, the healing kit, the feat, and healing during downtime are almost entirely from another source, with only a couple additions by me to tie everything together into Farland. There is another source of an elaborate modification of herbalism. Im not sure if it as it stands fits Farland, but I wanted to ask your opinion about it before I modify/simplify it, or if I should even bother messing with that.

I am particularly eager for a review of the background, because I have a player who really wants to be a healer, but has a very specific idea of how they want to be a healer so doesn't want to be a bardic doctor or a cleric or whatnot. This was my idea of how to appease that role along with leaving room for others to adjust and tailor it to multiple other ideas and settings within Farland.

And then a current list of Herb suggestions is maintained on the last post of the thread

I like the healer background! I need to check everything for balance and flavor but this has update written all over it! Thanks.

I mentioned a modification for Herbalism. The basics of that is it changes the price and working for so many days, to a single roll bassed on proficiency with the skill/tools, and the DC of the ingredients.

There are two main types of concoctions, effect and enchantment. Effect potions being simple effects such as poison or healing. Enchantment potions create a spell like effect.

An effect potion, past, poison, etc, is one base ingredient with up to 3 modifier ingredients. For example, lotus could be a base ingredient, and then modifying it with humblewort would make a super drug. It could be modified even more by mixing in things to increase the sense of bliss, or instead with ingredients which remove the bliss, making it into a terrible nightmare of an experience (asa form of torture or whatever).

An enchantment potion uses elemental water as a base ingredient, and then mix one or two enchantment ingredients to make the _____ potion.

Your herbalism section lists different ways the herbs can be mixed, which is the main reason I am hesitant to try suggesting incorporating this. It would be awesome, but perhaps instead of a full incorperation, just have a few herbs that specifically can be used to modify the existing concoctions you (will) have? (Perhaps maintain that only up to 3 modifying ingredients can be used before it starts adding side effects like a wild surge.) An example could be that Baneseed as a modifyer could make the concoction only effect the respective group, or Capacin changes the color, smell, and taste so that the effects of the concoction cant be detected by non-magical means but otherwise does not change the concoction.

Some of the herbs suggested in the document have effects like reversing the effects of the concoction; increasing the die size or doubling the number of die; stablizing the mixture making it easier/safer to make (more likely to succeed);

Source of Herbalism rules
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...1IyclFxUFBobGs

That's an interesting idea but I strongly favor the simplicity of my current system. I've seen stuff online with complex mixing rules but I feel over all it might bog down play. I would consider a herb that might modify the effects of others concoctions but overall I think I'm going to keep the herbalism rules simple for Farland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farland View Post
That's an interesting idea but I strongly favor the simplicity of my current system. I've seen stuff online with complex mixing rules but I feel over all it might bog down play. I would consider a herb that might modify the effects of others concoctions but overall I think I'm going to keep the herbalism rules simple for Farland.
I figured on that count.

Some herb ideas

I like the herb ideas but the description of their effects is too vague. Mechanically it isn't clear how you apply them. mechanically things need to be very, very clear.

Sorry, here are the re-writes.

I like the idea. I might use these herbs and just make each specifically applicable to 2 other Farland herbs, changing the soecificneffect of those herbs. But as a rule, herbal effects like healing should not be more powerful than magic potions.

Suppose you make some of the effects require use of the herb as a spell component? So applying a sageroot component to a healing spell would allow rerolls - basic concoction, reroll 1s, medium cocoction, rerolls 1s and add 1 point of healing, strong concoction, reroll 1-2s - for example.

A radiant synthseed could be applied to a radiant damaging spell to force a Will save or suffer Dexterity disadvantage for one minute, or applied to a Haste spell or similar to add Dexterity advantage for one minute etc.

Sure, any spellcaster could pay through the nose for what they want, but a herbalist in the party will be able to find them for nothing and even prepare them appropriately if they have a day or two to set up the right equipment.