[Pathfinder] Ideas for a pre-Earthfall game? - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

[Pathfinder] Ideas for a pre-Earthfall game?

[Pathfinder] Ideas for a pre-Earthfall game?

I've been toying with creating and possibly running a prehistorical game in Pathfinder, tossing around ideas in my head. The early early history of Golarion always struck me as intriguing. I myself haven't delved very far into Golarion campaign setting books and articles aside from the occasional wiki-dive, but for those more familiar with the world, what sort of things could one expect from a game set in the earliest days; perhaps late in the Age of Serpents, or at the beginning of the Age of Legend/Age of Dragons.

Before the rise of Azlant and Thassilon, what was the lot for mortal races? The serpentfolk empire dominates the land, the aboleths rule the sea, and the lesser mortal races scratch out a difficult existence in the shadows. Technology is more limited, at least for the humans and their ilk. Magic is still quite mysterious, and primarily controlled by the aforementioned serpentfolk and aboleths.

From what I can gather, pre-Azlant humanity was enslaved or extremely primitive. What were the elves up to? Dwarves were still underground, their kind yet to make their way to the surface as they made war on the orcs. Were the gnomes still a First World race, yet to make their first forays onto the material plane?

Such a setting could be a good place to use the Mythic Adventure rules, to play heroes who truly changed history. The first heroes of Azlant, perhaps, empowered by the inscrutable aboleths to overthrow the decadent serpentfolk empire. The gods are still relatively young, retreating from active interest in the material plane following their harrowing battle against Rovagug. Perhaps they seek agents in Golarion's early days?

I'm curious to learn more about ancient Golarion from those who might be knowledgeable. Or is the setting left deliberately vague? I assume I'll have to fill in quite a few gaps, but what sort of things might one expect to see or encounter?

Elves were actually on a completely different planet, by the way.

They were also rather civilized compared to the other humanoid species(The ones that were on Golarion).

Now that the Mythic Adventure rules are on the Pathfinder SRD, I've been considering tossing those into the mix; the heroes are preposterously powerful, destiny-blessed types, literally defining history with every adventure. I could see someone playing a young Emporer Xin or a future Runelord.

Interested! This sounds awesome! All of the barbarian and cleric crossclass. Maybe even an oracle instead!

oooh... fighter/witch.
Anyway. Interested. I love the idea.

Maybe the Gods were fighting the Titans? Primitive weapons! zero guns. limited alchemy(which might as well be magic!). Oh man, I am SO excited for this!

Don't forget that Elves are as old as the hills ( I saw that bit about alien elves).

From what I've gathered, Elves were on Golarion in those days, with a culture that rivaled the serpent folk; they would eventually decline a bit in the wake of humanity, but would flee Earthfall before it hit.

Apparently, there wouldn't be any gnomes, dwarves, orcs, or goblinoids. I might limit the characters to humans or elves, emphasis on the humans.

CTP I'm right there with you for historical Golarion. Paizo put so much work into developing it that it almost begs for a game. I wish they'd release some alternate maps, or set an AP in the distant past.

The rise of the Azlanti would be a great campaign idea. Humans vs Serpent Folk... man it almost writes itself.

The time of the Runelords might be a fun setting as well, with the Thassilonians having armies of giants, and wielding Sin Magic... fun stuff.