Setting Imporatance - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

Setting Imporatance

Setting Imporatance

I'm currently running a game that involves a connection with the real world. In short the lost city of Atlantis. Whats the an easy way to deal with timelines in a setting? I'm going off some information based on human history and the extent that we've been around for 20,000 years in our current state/form. Then checking into Atlantis lore and how far our recorded history goes to come up with reasonable plot related ideas and how it could tie in later.

I'm looking for ideas, its pretty board right now.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so if this doesn't answer it, that's why.

Pick a point at which your game's history diverges from real history. At that point, declare what the divergent point is and determine how it affects the remaining history until whatever time you're using as 'current'. The easiest way to handle this is to make the diverging point have minimal impact for most of history, except what impact you want it to have, or to make the diverging point recent.

With Atlantis, your easiest path would be to have it go into an alternate dimension (or something of similar type), or to have sunk beneath the ocean floor in a [insert magic/science here] that enabled the population to survive. It returns because Event, placed wherever in time you want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphinous View Post
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so if this doesn't answer it, that's why.

Pick a point at which your game's history diverges from real history. At that point, declare what the divergent point is and determine how it affects the remaining history until whatever time you're using as 'current'. The easiest way to handle this is to make the diverging point have minimal impact for most of history, except what impact you want it to have, or to make the diverging point recent.

With Atlantis, your easiest path would be to have it go into an alternate dimension (or something of similar type), or to have sunk beneath the ocean floor in a [insert magic/science here] that enabled the population to survive. It returns because Event, placed wherever in time you want it.
Awesome, its basically what I've done so far to a point. That actually helps me thresh out some of my details dealing with its history and origins.