In need of writers/helpers - OG Myth-Weavers

Notices

GM Workshop

A community-created and maintained place for Game Masters of all systems to bounce ideas around. It's a place for inspiration and sharing tips.

In need of writers/helpers

In need of writers/helpers

Hello all writers, dms, and possibly potential players. I'm looking for others to basically take this map (which is free to use by the way mods) and get creative with me if you're interested. Basically once I get a basis for all the regions down I'm going to try running a game. I'm looking for a collaboration effort and it'll be 3.5 based. I'm thinking magic lite and undead/divine themed. That's not to say there aren't other creatures but I want this to be a dark, gritty, serious toned, frightening setting.

I'm probably going to be using some things from Heroes of horror, BoVD, complete divine, Libris Mortis, and the MIC so feel free to use those for inspiration.

Anyways, I'm posting this here because I figure it's the best board to get the word out. If you are interested in getting this thing up off the ground, PM me please!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fantasy-world-4.JPG (376.0 KB, 0 views)

What we've come up with so far. This is just a general idea contributed by a myth-weavers member. Remember right now we are still in the general brainstorming phase.

So, you want ideas about what you could do with this map?

I see a big forest, surrounded by mountains. Mysterious, hard-to-get-into forest? Yes! Perhaps there's an elven nation there (typical) and all sorts of fey creatures. Perhaps there are darker things, too (darker than fey, you say?). Sort of like Mirkwood, but with mountains all around the sides.

A big desert on the edge of the map is always cool, too. What could be on the other side?

Yes, ideas with the map and looking for dedicated writers to take on certain sections and flesh out the fluff for the history/races etc.

if we spend the effort to enhance the world and give it a dedicated feel, would you be willing to allow those that create a region, to rp as a NPC in the game you will use this in?

This world isn't going to be for profit so you can use it as you see fit. If you want to run an NPC in the world you can just DM a game. I'm not too into CO-Dming myself.

For playable races, I'm thinking the following so far. I like the idea of a lot of races to represent different areas of the world and I want the history of the world to be pretty rich (as in a lot of interaction between different kingdoms because of that past war at one point).
  • All PHB Races
  • From Frostburn: Snow Elf and Glacial Dwarf
  • From Stormwrack: Aventi and Darfellan
  • From Sandstorm: Bhuka and Asherati
  • From Races of Stone: Whisper Gnome
  • From Races of the Wild: Killoren

Disclaimer: I didn't read more than two sentences of any of the other submissions. Incidentally, I didn't know I was going to post ANYTHING until I was half-way done with it. It's still only 60% of a concept, but I think it's a nice foundation:

The gnomes rule the Uzgob Desert. Through a combination of worldy disinterest and racial separatism, the gnomes of the world have gravitated to the ancient wasteland in search of an identity.

...Their exodus from the Elven nation was bloody, their
Making them cousins to Elves instead of dwarves...
kin leaving no mistake that their call for equality in the Royal Bloodline is not wanted. As they move north, they see solace in the unwanted realm of the sandstone steppe of the Uzgob Desert. Their resources are limited, but their ingenuity, size, and nomadic lifestyles all lead to a sustainable livelihood out there. After a generation or two, two gnomish cities crop up, one beyond the region of Rathikun and another 50 miles north of the Upper Glarmion boundary.

The cities rely heavily on the sandstone for buildings, but the gnomes are not afraid to send armies of lumberjacks and miners south to gain wood and rock from the other regions. They do these in great swarths until they have enough to build up their cities to their liking. Present day, tree orchards are heavily watched (and guarded) within the confines of both cities and water is earmarked for their use just as much as the public's consumption. Stone is traded for or dug from deep tunnel beneath the rocky steppe and shifting sand dunes.

Developments of Note:

Piper Pidgeon: Named for the gnomish druid that bred them, these pidgeons are used to keep the twin cities in constant communication. A tower in each works as the pidgeon's aeries for them, and are handled by the city's druidic circle.

Exploration: The gnomes have lost much of their nomadic wanderlust, but their discoveries in the deep (northern) parts of the desert come with waves of interest. A discovery of ancient fossils, oil, precious gems, or even creatures usually lends to a wave of explorer guilds popping up for a year or two. If nothing else is found, and the funding dries up, the guilds are disbanded and everyone goes back to their former trades and crafts.

Signs of an ancient civilization are sometimes uncovered. Tunnels accidentally breaking through into old catacombs with unruly undead are sometimes the result.

Notes:
1. The gnomes have been racially/regionally segregated, but tend to allow anyone who can make it to their cities to have safe passage. Thing is, most of their cities are built to their size and need, except some buildings which rely on the other races.

2. They are the spice and silk traders of the world.

3. The bones of the ancient beasts of the region are well sought, and the gnomes use that desire to acquire a lot of wealth. This wealth is spread out to those in need. 98% of the gnomes living in either city have enough money 'saved up' to live at least a few months without working (in the off chance they join an expedition guild into the desert wasteland).

4. These are not the cliche' alchemist-y, tinkerer, steampunk gnomes.

House Rules
There will be some house rules and for now I'll put them in this spoiler as they are being worked on and update as necessary. I know we are dealing with 3.5 here and nothing is perfect but just here me out before bashing me too hard.